FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Is Racing Allowed?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 31>
Author
H2 View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote H2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Is Racing Allowed?
    Posted: 03 Jun 20 at 3:10pm
What troubles me about some of the comments on here and FB is the seeming lack of willingness to apply common sense to the guidelines. Feels like people are more comfortable with "rules" than avoiding spreading the virus. I mean, why are people arguing that six people is the maximum on a start - is there any evidence that this would affect the spread of COVID? Of course not!

Now do not get me wrong - there are plonkers jumping off durdle door for whom common sense has also missed out but the vast majority of us utilise common sense to our daily lives quite successfully and it just feels that a vocal few who are more comfortable with a rules-based-society are shouting louder than the common-sense-majority.
H2 #115 (sold)
H2 145
OK 2082
zeon View Drop Down
Far too distracted from work

Post Options Post Options   Quote zeon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 20 at 3:55pm

Edited by zeon - 01 Oct 20 at 12:40pm
Mozzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Mozzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 20 at 4:12pm
I've found this an interesting read. 

https://ukpolicelawblog.com/index.php/coronavirus/261-one-kingdom-but-four-nations-emerging-from-lockdown-at-four-different-rates-under-four-different-laws

Referring to gatherings there is a definition in the regulations.

(3) For the purposes of this regulation—

(a)there is a gathering when two or more people are present together in the same place in order to engage in any form of social interaction with each other, or to undertake any other activity with each other;

The blog discusses the example of 'shared or common purpose' when considering whether an activity is 'with each other'. People queuing for a bathroom are gathered for a common purpose, but not a shared purpose. They're there to go for a waz, but they're not wazing with each other. 

I guess this is relevant to sailors on the water. They are their for a common purpose, but not a shared purpose.

I am sailing with my crew (shared purpose). Other people are just there also sailing (common purpose). 

How does this relate to racing? Well, I would say I have a common purpose with other boats (to sail around a course as fast as possible). But, the specific purpose of sailing my boat around the course is shared only with my crew. 
rich96 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote rich96 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 20 at 4:18pm
Any sailors/clubs using line starts etc will automatically be accused of carrying out 'organised' events

There may be no significant risk etc but that's not the point

If a number of sailors arrange something between themselves on the water that's another thing entirely

For now we just need to be grateful to be back on the water and create as little in the way of 'waves' as possible

A bit of informal practice (rabbit races etc as sensible) with a few others surely is fine for now ? (and may still be pushing the current guidelines ?)

Lots of sailors would snap your hands off for this (many clubs still not sailing)

Rushing things now and creating embarrassing headlines is not a good idea

And yes- some people will wave the 'rule' book and say we shouldn't do this or that but that's their opinion and they don't have to sail. In reality we are far more likely to have an accident driving/cycling to the club/work etc than we are likely to catch/spread CV or have an incident when sensibly sailing

Typical UK - follow every 'rule' to the letter without actually analysing it

Perhaps just debating this on a public forum is also not a great idea ? (especially if some posters are actively discouraging certain activities ?)

Edited by rich96 - 03 Jun 20 at 4:20pm
Chris_H View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Chris_H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 20 at 4:19pm
Originally posted by Mozzy

I've found this an interesting read. 

https://ukpolicelawblog.com/index.php/coronavirus/261-one-kingdom-but-four-nations-emerging-from-lockdown-at-four-different-rates-under-four-different-laws

Referring to gatherings there is a definition in the regulations.

(3) For the purposes of this regulation—

(a)there is a gathering when two or more people are present together in the same place in order to engage in any form of social interaction with each other, or to undertake any other activity with each other;

The blog discusses the example of 'shared or common purpose' when considering whether an activity is 'with each other'. People queuing for a bathroom are gathered for a common purpose, but not a shared purpose. They're there to go for a waz, but they're not wazing with each other. 

I guess this is relevant to sailors on the water. They are their for a common purpose, but not a shared purpose.

I am sailing with my crew (shared purpose). Other people are just there also sailing (common purpose). 

How does this relate to racing? Well, I would say I have a common purpose with other boats (to sail around a course as fast as possible). But, the specific purpose of sailing my boat around the course is shared only with my crew. 

I am going to sit on the fence with regards to Common Sense vs Rules. 

However, with respect to Shared vs Common, I think your interpretion is flawed. You have a Shared Purpose with respect to racing as you are racing against EACH OTHER - the Shared purpose being to beat each other - however that format actually happens. A common Purpose would be - just to go Sailing

It is semantics anyway, so not taking a side on it. 

Edited by Chris_H - 03 Jun 20 at 4:23pm
Mozzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Mozzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 20 at 4:23pm
But, more than anything I agree with what H2 says above. Those on the FB groups calling out more than 6 boats as illegal gatherings just strikes me a missing the point. We're trying to limit the spread of the virus, whilst sustaining some for of quality of life, physical and mental health and normality. 

Exposure isn't just about distance. Seven people in a location by coincidence isn't safer than six who messaged about it first on whatsapp. A fleeting moment of two laser sailors being within 2m isn't more risky than an evening sat 3m from an elderly relative. 

There is a danger that we become too hung up on absolutes rather than applying pragmatism and common sense.  
Chris_H View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Chris_H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 20 at 4:31pm
I dunno why people cant just enjoy the buzz of leisure sailing and being on the water. Why this drive to go racing so quickly? It will come in time. I know my view is not so popular on here, as most here are dedicated racers, and hence why they are on this forum - but somewhere along the way, and a part reason why sailing is declining (amongst many other factors) is that "sailing" has now become defined as "racing". We forget that to get to racing, you need to go sailing first, enjoy it, - and thats why you took up the sport in the first place. Just chill, sail, enjoy. We are very lucky people even to be able to do this ...

Edited by Chris_H - 03 Jun 20 at 4:35pm
423zero View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote 423zero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 20 at 5:14pm
WOW, heard it all now, disagreeing with certain people on here is akin to jumping off Durdle door, plus it shouldn't be discussed on a public forum, because people disagree, WOW again, you need to think, you are not trying to reduce your tax bill this a disease.
Robert
Chris_H View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Chris_H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 20 at 6:16pm
Goodness me people, 'kin chill out.  Confused Thumbs Up
H2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote H2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 20 at 6:18pm
Originally posted by Chris_H

I dunno why people cant just enjoy the buzz of leisure sailing and being on the water. Why this drive to go racing so quickly? It will come in time. I know my view is not so popular on here, as most here are dedicated racers, and hence why they are on this forum - but somewhere along the way, and a part reason why sailing is declining (amongst many other factors) is that "sailing" has now become defined as "racing". We forget that to get to racing, you need to go sailing first, enjoy it, - and thats why you took up the sport in the first place. Just chill, sail, enjoy. We are very lucky people even to be able to do this ...

I do not disagree with you, but no one has ever tried to stop you just going for a pootle when you want. If you like drfiting around then fill ya boots.....but why are you interested in stopping the rest of us go racing? Whats your motivation for that? We let you do your thing...
H2 #115 (sold)
H2 145
OK 2082
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 31>