FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Best Rope for Trapeze control line is..

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
cloudnine View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote cloudnine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Best Rope for Trapeze control line is..
    Posted: 28 Apr 20 at 3:46pm
Need to replace the worn clamcleats on my trapeze lines.. the last time i sailed the rope slipped through and dropped me to the stop knot several times.
The ropes are pretty worn too.

Best rope for gripping in the clamcleat is....? 

Mozzy View Drop Down
Far too distracted from work

Post Options Post Options   Quote Mozzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 20 at 3:57pm
8 plait pre-strechted. I can't tell much difference between the different brands so just get the colour I like best. 

Go 5 or 6mm if 1:1. then 4 or 5 if 2:1. 

Thicker makes it kinder on the hands and easier to cleat / uncleat. Thinner reduces friction. 
Wiclif View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote Wiclif Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 20 at 5:41pm
Suggest not 4mm.
It digs down into the clamcleat more and so is much more difficult to uncleat.
The clamcleats are either silver powder coated, or dull grey anodised.  The coating chips off over time so the anodised is a better choice.
ian.r.mcdonald View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote ian.r.mcdonald Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 20 at 6:12pm
I dont have the answer, but in these high stress times its great to be talking about sailing and kit again!
pondlife1736 View Drop Down
Posting king
Posting king

Post Options Post Options   Quote pondlife1736 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 20 at 7:08pm
I was going to ask the very same question as I try to sort out my recently acquired Unicorn, ready for that first sail (whenever that may be!)
Neptune View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Post Options Post Options   Quote Neptune Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 20 at 10:35pm
5mm of what ever rope you have in your rope ends, preference for a colour that’s different to everything else on the boat (especially sheets) and anodised cleats are worth the extra 
Musto Skiff and Solo sailor
MartinG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote MartinG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 20 at 7:35am
3-strand pre-stretched works pretty well, preferably 5mm.
49er 865
K6 159
RS800 1133 (sold)
Jamie600 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Jamie600 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 20 at 9:30am
Or if you want something a bit more pimp, remove the core of the rope and replace with shockcord. Helps keep the trapeze ring at a consistent height when not clipped on, making it easier to find.
RS600 1001
Oatsandbeans View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Oatsandbeans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 20 at 7:18am
I like the Gottifredi Maffioli Swiftcord. It is really soft, so lovely on the hands and gets into the cleat nicely. As a crew you spend a lot of time messing with it, so splash out a bit!
NickA View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote NickA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 20 at 9:30am
8 plait all very well until it snaps leaving your crew attached by elastic.  With Dyneema cored rope (marlow racing), when the outer strips the dyneema still keeps your crew attached to the boat .. worked for me anyway .. I only put the dyneema on because it was an available bit of 5mm in my rope bits bag.

My experience of Maffioli swift cord is that it tangles itself into an awful mess at the slightest opportunity (had a laser main sheet made from it once) .. for short lengths it's probably OK!
Javelin 558
Contender 2574
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>