FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

What features about a boat are important to you?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 6>
Author
iGRF View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote iGRF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 20 at 5:25pm
No, you go better on one tack than the other for exactly the same reason you ride goofy or regular on surfboards, snow or skateboards.

If you're left foot forward (regular) then Port likely is your strongest natural tack.
tink View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote tink Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 20 at 5:29pm
Originally posted by iGRF

No, you go better on one tack than the other for exactly the same reason you ride goofy or regular on surfboards, snow or skateboards.

If you're left foot forward (regular) then Port likely is your strongest natural tack.
So port tack, in salt water, in the northern hemisphere with a white painted boat Iíll become a bandit. 
Tink
https://tinkboats.wordpress.com/

http://proasail.blogspot.com
Sam.Spoons View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Sam.Spoons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 20 at 5:38pm
Originally posted by H2

Good point Fab - is that why I go better on one tack than the other? Is it because on one tack I am with the world rotation and the other tack I am against the rotation? Can I get a lift on my board from earth spin? What can we call that??

It's called 'lee bowing the cosmos'
Spice 346 "Flat Broke"
Blaze 671 "supersonic soap dish"
fab100 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote fab100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 20 at 5:39pm
Originally posted by Sam.Spoons

Originally posted by H2

Good point Fab - is that why I go better on one tack than the other? Is it because on one tack I am with the world rotation and the other tack I am against the rotation? Can I get a lift on my board from earth spin? What can we call that??

It's called 'lee bowing the cosmos'

Clap Clap Clap Clap
iGRF View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote iGRF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 20 at 5:48pm
There's a caveat to this, for years I practised really hard at windsurfing, mostly our beach was starboard tack, back in those days I'd never really heard of sidedness whatever it's called. It was prevalent in skateboarding but that was never my game, nor surfing which I could do, but never got 'in' to it, it was great in Hawaii, but sucked in Kent.

So, it wasn't until I started snowboarding that it became apparent, something else also happened, the sport of windsurfing over the years became quite 'atheletic' and although I kept up as best I could, given time constraints of work and the passage of time, I never could land a trick called a back loop, on my home beach on starboard, until 1993 when two things happened, I finally cracked snowboarding and a chance visit to Klitmoeller and a big Port tack wave following a young Danish Kid, I just went for it, landed and sailed away first time.. Port tack.. rarely get to sail it locally, and it proved beyond anydoubt in my mind. The practise had buried the natural skill to the point I was pretty good on starboard, yet the first time I went for something new and tricky the natural 'handedness outweighed all the practise. I've never really mastered fakie (riding wrong foot forward) on a snowboard but am pretty even handed still on a windsurfer. I don't have a prayer sailing dinghys, try as I may one tack transition is pretty damn good, but totally eludes me going the other way if I don't have the benefit of a cleat to deal with the bloody rope as I transition.

I first felt comfortable immediately on the port tack trapezing, easy peasy lemon squeezy. On starboard however not so, which is a bloody nuisance and has caused some issues and much amusement at times off the start line.

Maybe it's worse because I now think about it, even riding a downhill bike and which pedal forward I lead into a jump, but it is what it is, maybe best not to think about it, it can mess with your head, like me - nutter.
ClubRacer View Drop Down
Posting king
Posting king

Post Options Post Options   Quote ClubRacer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 20 at 9:35pm
-Decent class as I'm addicted to big fleet racing.

-Decent freeboard as I'm long legged and don't like sitting in the water going up wind.

-Asymmetric spinnaker because I never did master the whole angles thing by the lee. 

-Single manafactured one design

-2man as I need the second person to motivate me.

-Able to go out in 30+ knots without it falling to pieces

Edit: What on earth is up with formatting on this forum  Angry

Edited by ClubRacer - 02 Apr 20 at 9:43pm
zeon View Drop Down
Far too distracted from work

Post Options Post Options   Quote zeon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 20 at 11:04pm
I want a one design. 13 to 14 foot long. Una rigged. About as deep as a laser , not bothered if itís self draining or not. With a carbon rig thatís more controllable than a laser.

Oh fu@k, does anyone have a D-zero with a number between 190 and 280 they would like to sell me when all this virus stuff is over with  Smile
zeon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote zeon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 20 at 11:09pm
Originally posted by zeon

I want a one design. 13 to 14 foot long. Una rigged. About as deep as a laser , not bothered if itís self draining or not. With a carbon rig thatís more controllable than a laser.

Oh fu@k, does anyone have a D-zero with a number between 190 and 280 they would like to sell me when all this virus stuff is over with  Smile

PS am right handed and always go better on a port tack lol LOL
423zero View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote 423zero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 20 at 6:32am
Earth rotational torque bias, that's why planes are faster coming back from US, nothing to do with jet stream.
Robert
maxibuddah View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote maxibuddah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 20 at 7:35am
Originally posted by 423zero

Earth rotational torque bias, that's why planes are faster coming back from US, nothing to do with jet stream.

Nope you are wrong, the earth is flat  Wink

The reason why planes are faster from the States to here that its faster going left to right, hence why its faster on port than starboard
Everything I say is my opinion, honest
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 6>