FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

What features about a boat are important to you?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 6>
Author
Rupert View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote Rupert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 20 at 2:54pm
Deep cockpit for the knees, can be perched on for the back and hips and bad leg, but still want to hike when in one piece.

Centreboard nice but not a deal breaker.

Aft or centre main, preferably a choice.

Soft sail, short or no battens.

Old clunkers in the secondhand market which can be brought almost up to speed.

No rip off sail prices, spares available from anywhere.

A friendly online presence for those if us who rarely travel to keep in touch.
Firefly 2324, Lightning 130, Puffin 229, Minisail 3446
tink View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote tink Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 20 at 3:51pm
More generally:
Equal, competitive racing at an economic price.
One design, not a class that calls itself one design but changes drastically of a relatively short period of time.
Suitable for where sail and a fleet of them
More specific:
Simple controls, want to spend time sailing rather than bimbling and worrying if my lowers are right for these conditions 
Daggerboard, who need the hassle of a slot gasket, I can take it home and keep it in good shape and can pull it up before  I can see the seagulls legs. 
Capsizes arenít game over, means I can push myself.
Nothing carbon, really we donít need it 

Tink
https://tinkboats.wordpress.com/

http://proasail.blogspot.com
tink View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote tink Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 20 at 4:05pm
Originally posted by fab100

I want weather forecasters to give probability factors for their forecasts coming true, and their 30 and 365-day historical accuracy record, which might dial-down the Wind-guru effect, when they have to admit they are as often wrong as right.

Spot on in spades

Plus I donít know why they donít look at what actually happened and adjust future forecast to that data. I sailed somewhere that if it was a SWly above 15knots it was always 10knots above forecast speed. Tested the theory for a good two years it was accurate every time. 
Tink

fab100 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote fab100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 20 at 4:05pm
Originally posted by tink

Except tin masts give you a hernia, relatively speaking, taking them in and out (I travel a fair bit). 

And if I was sailing a Laser seriously still, I'd have a carbon top section that springs back when you roll in to windward on a run, rather than an ally one that bends permanently and unfixably on impact.

As GRF and others have said, getting whacked by a tin boom is far worse than by a carbon one
tink View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote tink Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 20 at 4:08pm
Clearly no one knows what they are talking about, little mention of speed and no hydrofoils - believe the hype real sailors want to be flying at 50knots, yeah. 
Tink

fab100 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote fab100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 20 at 4:14pm

I want weather forecasters to give probability factors for their forecasts coming true, and their 30 and 365-day historical accuracy record, which might dial-down the Wind-guru effect, when they have to admit they are as often wrong as right.

Spot on in spades

Plus I donít know why they donít look at what actually happened and adjust future forecast to that data. I sailed somewhere that if it was a SWly above 15knots it was always 10knots above forecast speed. Tested the theory for a good two years it was accurate every time. 

They don't even look out of the windows and tell you accurately what it's actually like outside right now.

When it comes to wind, with coastal or inland, I don't think they are really bothered or capable of the localised complexities. The general public want to know whether to take a coat & brolly or wear a T-shirt. Wind speed is irrelevant to 99% of forecasters' audience so they don't give a hoot. But offshore, they do think about it a bit (and it's easier I reckon) because the fishermen and commercial shipping would give 'em hell.

here's a weather forecasting fact - Michael Fish made up the famous 1987 "a lady called into today to ask if there is a hurricane coming" line. There was no such call. But he still got it wrong nevertheless
A2Z View Drop Down
Far too distracted from work
Far too distracted from work

Post Options Post Options   Quote A2Z Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 20 at 4:18pm
I have a book that claims that until recently the most accurate forecast was to assume tomorrowís weather will be the same as todayís. 
tink View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote tink Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 20 at 4:25pm

Except tin masts give you a hernia, relatively speaking, taking them in and out (I travel a fair bit). 

And if I was sailing a Laser seriously still, I'd have a carbon top section that springs back when you roll in to windward on a run, rather than an ally one that bends permanently and unfixably on impact.

As GRF and others have said, getting whacked by a tin boom is far worse than by a carbon one

Yeah in certain circumstances it has its place, Iíll except that 
Tink

fab100 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote fab100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 20 at 4:34pm

Clearly no one knows what they are talking about, little mention of speed and no hydrofoils - believe the hype real sailors want to be flying at 50knots, yeah. 

Speed is indeed relative nonsense. In the UK we are spinning at around 600mph as the earth rotates and doing 66,000mph as we orbit the sun (1.6 million miles per day). The solar system is rotating around the galaxy's centre at 483,000 mph. Chuck Jaeger eat your heart out.

I've never felt even a slight buzz from such speed. Although I am imagining iGRF thinking we could go a bit faster yet if he tweaked a few things 

On the other hand, you'd never get me in a Skipper 14 or Laser 16, either would be too much for me 

PS Why is the formatting here playing silly devils today. Preview looks fine, posting losses all the carriage-returns unless I faff about like crazy trying to fix it

Edited by fab100 - 02 Apr 20 at 4:34pm
H2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote H2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 20 at 5:19pm
Good point Fab - is that why I go better on one tack than the other? Is it because on one tack I am with the world rotation and the other tack I am against the rotation? Can I get a lift on my board from earth spin? What can we call that??
H2 #115
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 6>