FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Hybrid !

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 10111213>
Author
Rupert View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote Rupert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hybrid !
    Posted: 29 May 20 at 11:44am
Cirrus, sounding like a great project. Have fun!
Firefly 2324, Puffin 229, Minisail 3446 Mirror 70686
Do Different View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Do Different Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 20 at 6:26am
Looking good, a route avoiding racks suits my view of pretty, they always look like an afterthought to my eye. I like the notion of paring down sail area to extend the wind range. 
Cirrus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Cirrus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 20 at 10:38am
Gordon - Thank you for the very kind offer.  I had a search this morning and have found a part-empty box with a few pairs remaining.  Should be enough with a bit more care of them than usual  to see through the next modifications !

Friday on-water session went well.  Conditions were an occasionally gusty 10-14mph with some big shifts thrown in.  They even caught out one Blaze who went in to windward on a beat.  The additonal rake previously mentioned and the now slightly softer rigging tension worked well.  Same pace as before but the rig felt 'happier' or a bit more forgiving / flexible.   Generally the stalking horses had a slight edge upwind but were held in all condions by Hybrid offwind.  The slight deficit was to be expected as they were mostly Blazes again and their leverage helped... Yes - I could have hiked harder but we'll soon see how effective that is after the side-deck mods planned for next week.  (I like to be comfortable if I have to really work at it !)  Last sail before the mods planned for next week and it might be useful to switch to / try out the slightly smaller 8.8m 'Fire' sail before any such changes.... It is about half a metre smaller as well as being flatter but fits the same spars / rake settings.  If similar boats are also around tomorrow and the conditions are broadly similar to Friday it will be intersting to see the relative advantages / diasadvantages.     

Edited by Cirrus - 30 May 20 at 1:49pm
NickM99 View Drop Down
Posting king
Posting king

Post Options Post Options   Quote NickM99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 20 at 5:36pm
What is capsize recovery like?  Solo or H2?  Or maybe you haven't had to try it yet!
Cirrus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Cirrus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 20 at 5:50pm
Or maybe you haven't had to try it yet!

It really has been tried already ...  It is easy enough to recover, particulary since it is relatively narrow.  Even the most unathletic should be able to right it OK and if  they cannot heave themselves directly over the gunwhale as it rights and/or rather than climb around they should easily enough enter via the (open) stern.   This aspect of the Hybrid concept was tested in (last years) earlier version as well.

Edited by Cirrus - 30 May 20 at 5:50pm
Neptune View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Neptune Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 20 at 5:55pm
Ahh, I was hoping I’d have had my 300 back to see how you paced against that... post mods I’ll see you on the water :)
Musto Skiff and Solo sailor
Cirrus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Cirrus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 20 at 4:50pm

'Hybrid'  has not been on the water for a couple of weeks - but will be returning in a couple of days following upgrade/modifications mentioned a while back.  This was the 'comfort' plus controls stuff.  Well it is a lot more comfortable / ergonomic now and enjoys a tad more leverage as a by-product.  The boat 'as was' was a bit narrow for comfort for regular humans when hiking imo and the gunwale edge was an angular ‘edge’ – ie ‘demanding’.  All  resolved / changed to nice and comfy.   The answer was simply to add some modest  ‘winglets’ .  In addition the control line leads and fly-aways are now on the inside edge of the sides rather than over the top)

Pierre View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Pierre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 20 at 7:22am
Looks very neat and tidy and lots of room.  Approve

tink View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote tink Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 20 at 8:17am
Nice addition. Looking forward to seeing it back on the water. Cockpit does look much tidier also and controls ergonomically arranged. 
Tink
https://tinkboats.com

http://proasail.blogspot.com
Neptune View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Neptune Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 20 at 10:12am
Sort of mix between Laser Eps and Devotion D-one wing silhouette... I’ve obviously been sailing a 300 too long as I’m wondering what happens downwind when you need to get back to the transom :)
Musto Skiff and Solo sailor
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 10111213>