FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Hybrid !

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 13>
Author
Cirrus View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote Cirrus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hybrid !
    Posted: 01 Apr 20 at 12:33pm

Cirrus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Cirrus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 20 at 12:53pm
Cirrus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Cirrus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 20 at 12:53pm
Cirrus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Cirrus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 20 at 12:54pm

Bimbling with boats is about all many of us can do for the foreseeable ...  So here is one I started cobbling together over the winter.  Just 'finished' this 'special' with the current limitations allowing a fast finish but cannot test / trial yet of course !! 

It is simply called 'Hybrid' for now and is 4.25m overall and maximum beam of 1.60m (and lightish).   A mixture of ideas in fact to trial / assess.  Initial sail area in photos is approx 9.3m2 and the spars used here are carbon.  Intended primarily as a non-winged hiking design with centreboard with a higher boom could also make a GRF style trapeze platform maybe.  Why do it ?   But equally and especially now ...Why Not !  

Noah View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Noah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 20 at 1:26pm
Is that a Blaze rig on an Icon hull? I thought the gunwhale lines were straighter on Icon than in these pics?
Nick
D-Zero 316

getafix View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote getafix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 20 at 2:46pm
quite H2-esque some might say ....
Feeling sorry for vegans since it became the latest fad to claim you are one
Rupert View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Rupert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 20 at 3:00pm
More soap dish than the H2. My knees would hate it, I'm afraid.
Firefly 2324, Puffin 229, Minisail 3446 Mirror 70686
Cirrus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Cirrus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 20 at 3:13pm

Not a Blaze rig ... though the mast is v.similar to both Icon and the Blaze 'family'.  Not H2 in terms of general ‘bulk’ or freeboard but with a bit more (v.necessary imo) than say a Zero.    The original concept was for an exceptionally easily driven simple hiking hull but not to the point of becoming ‘demanding’ light and simple but capable of carrying a reasonable weight.  The hull underwater is almost pure Icon, (cos that one really is slippery yet ‘easy’) but it is 215mm (9") shorter and the freeboard is very much less than found on an Icon or H2.  The sail in the pics is in fact based on an early Icon development main but modified by Dick Batt to suit the rig dimensions and rake.  (The boom is currently made from old Blaze outer wing tubes – cos I was waiting too long for a larger diameter tube to arrive)   So NS14 inspired with touches of Blaze, Icon. and yes even some  H2 and Zero in there if you like !    This concept is much lighter than say a Blaze and if ever in full epoxy would be much lighter still.

Edited by Cirrus - 01 Apr 20 at 3:20pm
iGRF View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote iGRF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 20 at 3:14pm
Originally posted by Cirrus

.  Why do it ?

Because there is a gaping great hole where a sensible trapeze single hander should be, so we don't have to continue with the absurd notion that 15 grand gets you over 100 kilos to lug about...

And why can't there be a boat where you make a choice of trapeze or racks, they both pretty much do the same thing, except one looks much cooler and doesn't bugger your knees.

Then we won't have to bugger about ordering new sails to make our Farr 37s go early enough to cope with the Laserati off the start line..
H2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote H2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 20 at 3:57pm
H2 and a D0 had a child. I like it!

However, if I wanted a boat that was really nice to hike I would keep my H2 but if I wanted a boat that was more like a D0 but that carried more weight and I was willing to be on my knees downwind then it looks great.

Only question would be whether the rig was big enough? Most of the boats that aim at the bigger guys continue to feel a little under powered in my view, but that is a minor point!

Edited by H2 - 01 Apr 20 at 4:20pm
H2 #115 (sold)
H2 145
OK 2082
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 13>