FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Ovington Laser

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Author
tink View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote tink Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Ovington Laser
    Posted: 27 Mar 20 at 7:38pm
Picture on FB of what appears to be Laser moulds on the back on an Ovington truck. Anyone got ant insights 
Tink
https://tinkboats.com

http://proasail.blogspot.com
zeon View Drop Down
Far too distracted from work
Far too distracted from work

Post Options Post Options   Quote zeon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 20 at 7:54pm
LPE no longer a class builder .
PSA and PSJ are the only class legal builders at the moment. 
ILCA asked for inquiries to to be new builders.
A number of companies from around the world ( including ovingtons) have passed the first stage and are now building test batch’s to be inspected by the ILCA.
This is a very potted history , if I went into the whole history of how it got to this point , this post would be longer than war and peace.
If you are really interested there is a huge thread on sailing anarchy which covers the mess from the start. If the lock down continues until June you might have enough time to read it . 😀😀

Edited by zeon - 27 Mar 20 at 7:59pm
tink View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote tink Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 20 at 8:23pm
Originally posted by zeon

LPE no longer a class builder .
PSA and PSJ are the only class legal builders at the moment. 
ILCA asked for inquiries to to be new builders.
A number of companies from around the world ( including ovingtons) have passed the first stage and are now building test batch’s to be inspected by the ILCA.
This is a very potted history , if I went into the whole history of how it got to this point , this post would be longer than war and peace.
If you are really interested there is a huge thread on sailing anarchy which covers the mess from the start. If the lock down continues until June you might have enough time to read it . 😀😀
Thanks, not sure I’ll have time to read it all - working from home is tough as I have to work twice as hard to justify it and expect to do something called DIY, years of disappearing on a Sunday is catching up on me. Not complaining, have it easy really-obviously the NHS but also guys in shops, delivery and utilities. Gone off topic 
Tink
https://tinkboats.com

http://proasail.blogspot.com
davidyacht View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote davidyacht Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 20 at 10:03pm
Working through a long list of home jobs ... with the extra time taken will hopefully not have to revisit and can have guilt free sailing for plenty of time when this is over
Happily living in the past
fab100 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote fab100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 20 at 10:18pm
Surely Ovi are far to  competent to be allowed to build Lasers, it would obsolete 220,000 boats. Or would it be a condition that only cack-handed, blind, don't give a sh*t, YTS students who think adding resin to the hardener is OK, should be allowed on the production line?

JimC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote JimC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 20 at 11:43am
There's a pretty strict construction manual and I believe they are hoping to tighten that up further, so the strong intention is that no-one will be allowed to build a better boat.

Edited by JimC - 28 Mar 20 at 11:44am
fab100 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote fab100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 20 at 3:36pm
Originally posted by JimC

There's a pretty strict construction manual and I believe they are hoping to tighten that up further, so the strong intention is that no-one will be allowed to build a better boat.

That assumes the existing boats were built properly. Which contradicts the observations of a mate who used to work at Banbury (but not in production) when LPE were there 

Post Options Post Options   Quote davidyacht Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 20 at 3:57pm
One would think that a builder such as Ovington should be able to consolidate the laminate, ensure better workshop environmental conditions, improve hull to deck bonding and ensure tolerances such as the mast step are controlled ... this could ensure a longer lasting product with better residuals.  If they could drop the price a bit, they could create the virtuous circle that existed in the eighties
turnturtle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote turnturtle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 20 at 5:18pm
I suspect better QC and consistency... if you owned or sailed enough Lasers you know when you get a good one and when one's a bit of a dud.

Having the option and the knowledge to work it out when picking one up from Banbury was just one more item in a long list of elite sailing skills I never mastered.

Post Options Post Options   Quote davidyacht Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 20 at 6:26pm
Yep, I had a super fast one with a gelcoat defect which I made the mistake of having replaced, subsequent boat was discernibly slower
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>