FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

best amateur sailors in U

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Gordon 1430 View Drop Down
Far too distracted from work

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote Gordon 1430 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: best amateur sailors in U
    Posted: 27 Mar 20 at 10:56am
Y&Y asked Andy Rice to give a top list of what amounts to Pro sailors from across the globe.
What about the best amateurs who do we think should be included. What is our definition of Amateur? someone who does not earn a living from sailing in any form or should the sail makers like Andy Davis or Charlie Cumbley be allowed as they don't sail full time?
Number one nomination from me.
Nick Craig multiple world champion and National champion across a wide range of boats.Including different style of boats OK to B14. 

Gordon
Phantom 1430
Jamie600 View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Post Options Post Options   Quote Jamie600 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 20 at 10:59am
To me, amateur means someone who can't justify sailing as part of the job, so sailmakers and builders are out.

Anyone to whom sailing is a hobby/escape from the real world of jobs, mortgages etc
RS600 1001
ian.r.mcdonald View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote ian.r.mcdonald Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 20 at 11:03am
Originally posted by Gordon 1430

Y&Y asked Andy Rice to give a top list of what amounts to Pro sailors from across the globe.
What about the best amateurs who do we think should be included. What is our definition of Amateur? someone who does not earn a living from sailing in any form or should the sail makers like Andy Davis or Charlie Cumbley be allowed as they don't sail full time?
Number one nomination from me.
Nick Craig multiple world champion and National champion across a wide range of boats.Including different style of boats OK to B14. 

I think sailmakers should be included. Motivating yourself to race after a full week cutting cloth must be tough.

Jim Hunt!   Not enough space for his wins but Solo,Ok,Fireball etc etc
            And helpful, approachable and knows a spade is called a spade

fab100 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote fab100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 20 at 11:30am
Clearly the answer is two top Frensham sailors, Nick Craig, as nominated above and Roger Gilbert.

For me, if you work in the industry, you're not an amateur I'm afraid
davidyacht View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote davidyacht Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 20 at 12:51pm
Past and present?

Peter Colclough
Happily living in the past
Rupert View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Rupert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 20 at 1:23pm
At least we don't have to worry about including sailing instructors. We forget how to sail fast as soon as we have to start thinking about how we do the basics.
Firefly 2324, Puffin 229, Minisail 3446 Mirror 70686
423zero View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote 423zero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 20 at 1:53pm
Anyone who sails and does their duty
Robert

Post Options Post Options   Quote ian.r.mcdonald Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 20 at 2:50pm
Originally posted by 423zero

Anyone who sails and does their duty

An increasingly rare person, I agree completely!

Post Options Post Options   Quote ian.r.mcdonald Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 20 at 2:55pm
Originally posted by Rupert

At least we don't have to worry about including sailing instructors. We forget how to sail fast as soon as we have to start thinking about how we do the basics.

When I was instructing for london borough of Redbridge ( last century)
We used to have a race against the Essex county instructors. Included in the list for Essex was Lawrence Crispin and David Campbell James.

We always lost!
Rupert View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Rupert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 20 at 4:05pm
I wonder how much teaching they did compared to racing!
Firefly 2324, Puffin 229, Minisail 3446 Mirror 70686
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>