FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Corona Virus - subscription renewals

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 9>
Author
crosby mafia View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote crosby mafia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Corona Virus - subscription renewals
    Posted: 24 Mar 20 at 9:28pm
 My home club is a resident club at a Council owned water sports centre, which in line with other council leisure centres are now locked down.  Our club AGM should have been last Wednesday, but we took the hard view to postpone it.  So we haven't agreed our club fees for 2020/21, that's going to be hard. We have a learn to sail waiting list, for the first time in ages, but who'd join a club which isn't open.  Even I, as club President can't pay my fees coz we haven't decided them yet !! 
My other summer club on the North Welsh coast, I've paid my full fees and its closed.  Can't go to service the big boats engine and play, because of the travel restrictions 

Edited by crosby mafia - 24 Mar 20 at 9:30pm
Better a crap day in Abersoch than any day at work.
polc1410 View Drop Down
Posting king
Posting king

Post Options Post Options   Quote polc1410 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 20 at 7:42am
Clubs may well have insurance that covers (some) loss of income. It's certainly available as part of the RYA policy.

Clubs registered as businesses should look at what the government grant schemes are.

Clubs will presumably make some savings:: fuel, wear and tear, utility use, etc.

I think so much at the minute is unknown, but the correct stance from a club will be to take membership if people possibly can (they will have to accept some members may not be able and so effectively don't renew [Make sure you don't flog their boat the day this is over!]) And look at what coast / income etc is to "reward" loyalty this year.
Paramedic View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Post Options Post Options   Quote Paramedic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 20 at 7:59am
I was going to say, not taking fees because you cant increase them might not be a sensible approach provided there isn't an underlying reason why an increase above inflation - such as it is - is essential.

Once you've got people's money they are in the system and you'll retain them. Delay and you will inevitably lose a few. If you retain a couple of members that might otherwise have drifted away this must outweigh any benefit from increasing subs. Floating members or not their money is as good as anyone's! (Sorry Ian :) )
ian.r.mcdonald View Drop Down
Far too distracted from work

Post Options Post Options   Quote ian.r.mcdonald Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 20 at 8:05am
Originally posted by Paramedic

I was going to say, not taking fees because you cant increase them might not be a sensible approach provided there isn't an underlying reason why an increase above inflation - such as it is - is essential.
Once you've got people's money they are in the system and you'll retain them. Delay and you will inevitably lose a few. If you retain a couple of members that might otherwise have drifted away this must outweigh any benefit from increasing subs. Floating members or not their money is as good as anyone's! (Sorry Ian :) )

I think in a watersports environment- keeping everyone floating is our top priority!

Keep safe everyone, see you on the virtual sailing game platforms and back on the water on the " other side"

Edited by ian.r.mcdonald - 25 Mar 20 at 8:07am
zeon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote zeon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 20 at 9:24am
Originally posted by crosby mafia

My home club is a resident club at a Council owned water sports centre, which in line with other council leisure centres are now locked down.  Our club AGM should have been last Wednesday, but we took the hard view to postpone it.  So we haven't agreed our club fees for 2020/21, that's going to be hard. We have a learn to sail waiting list, for the first time in ages, but who'd join a club which isn't open.  Even I, as club President can't pay my fees coz we haven't decided them yet !! 
My other summer club on the North Welsh coast, I've paid my full fees and its closed.  Can't go to service the big boats engine and play, because of the travel restrictions 

Perhaps think about having an emergency agm using one of the conference call services like zoom.
I know my club is thinking of trying to do this for our monthly meetings. 

Sam.Spoons View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Sam.Spoons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 20 at 10:06am
We are trying out Zoom for my wife and son's dancing school to give lessons over the internet. It seems to work pretty well. Certainly perfectly satisfactory for committee meetings.
Spice 346 "Flat Broke"
Blaze 671 "supersonic soap dish"
PeterG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote PeterG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 20 at 12:35pm
Yes, I had a trial meeting with fellow managers and trustees of a local charity I'm involved with last night using Zoom. It was free and I'm impressed - though my internet connection was near to its limits! I'm no longer on our SC committee, but I can see myself using it for other organisations.
Peter
Ex Cont 707
Ex Laser 189635
DY 59
Riv View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Riv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 20 at 7:15pm
Yes, Zoom works well, used it last night for a meeting about closing the club. We have closed the buildings and the use of club boats. There was some debate about making some Sups and rowing craft available for on the foreshore without having to get equipmentfrom the club, but we decided not to as it might be misunderstood.

The rest of our foreshore is open to the  public so members can take their own dinghies out if they want. As long as they keep 2m away from everyone. The place is deserted so that shouldn't be a problem
Mistral Div II prototype board, Original Windsurfer, Hornet built'74.
ian.r.mcdonald View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote ian.r.mcdonald Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 20 at 7:36pm
The government need to stop the vague instructions, get everyone except vital workers at home

The current mess allows sailing along with the days on the beach etc etc and the corresponding risk in increased illness.

And I hope not, but maybe fewer sailors to join clubs next year

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 20 at 7:41pm
Originally posted by Riv

members can take their own dinghies out if they want. As long as they keep 2m away from everyone. The place is deserted so that shouldn't be a problem
Really?!? Confused Shocked
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 9>