FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Coronavirus and Club Sailing

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 22>
Author
Sam.Spoons View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote Sam.Spoons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 20 at 3:23pm
My club has suspended all organised activities, members are free to sail at any time though and that has not changed. I think I will be getting the Blaze out of the boat park today or tomorrow as I might just decide to self isolate for precautionary reasons down at the caravan......
Spice 346 "Flat Broke"
Blaze 671 "supersonic soap dish"
A2Z View Drop Down
Far too distracted from work

Post Options Post Options   Quote A2Z Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 20 at 3:40pm
Originally posted by jeffers

The RYA have a dedicated page for this at the moment: https://www.rya.org.uk/newsevents/news/Pages/rya-guidance-coronavirus.aspx

The government has confirmed that people with mild symptoms should stay at home and self-isolate for seven days. We know that all of this could affect planned events and activities. Unless there's official advice telling you not to do so, and as long as you follow the government advice on how to avoid catching or spreading the virus, you can continue with things like group activities and use of club facilities.
The latest advice from govt, as of yesterday evening, is to avoid non-essential contact with others so I would say group activities are off the agenda.

Post Options Post Options   Quote Sam.Spoons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 20 at 4:24pm
Dinghy sailing (in single handers at least) does not involve the close proximity of others or physical contact so should be pretty low risk. It is also in the open air and with a 1 metre 'social distancing' zone in the boat park you should be conforming to the advice of the government. The only risk factors are with rescue crews and OODs who usually work in close proximity to each other. So organised racing might be inadvisable but free sailing should be ok for now.
Spice 346 "Flat Broke"
A2Z View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote A2Z Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 20 at 4:37pm
What proportion of clubs allow free sailing, I wonder? 

The coastal ones generally canít stop it, but many (most?) inland clubs are prevented by the landlord.
423zero View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote 423zero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 20 at 4:46pm
Main issue is how are you getting there? Non essential journeys are frowned upon.
Robert
Sussex Lad View Drop Down
Posting king
Posting king

Post Options Post Options   Quote Sussex Lad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 20 at 4:59pm
......thought the non-essential travel advice was regarding foreign travel?
JimC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote JimC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 20 at 5:16pm
Originally posted by 423zero

Main issue is how are you getting there? Non essential journeys are frowned upon.

I think you'll find that's non-essential journeys that involve contact with people at the other end.
423zero View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote 423zero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 20 at 5:20pm
I understand they want to minimise chance of accidents, help NHS?
Robert
PeterV View Drop Down
Posting king
Posting king

Post Options Post Options   Quote PeterV Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 20 at 5:30pm
I've always found it staggering how many inland clubs ban sailing without rescue support on the basis of safety arguments.  After 10 years of this nonsense at my last club I've now moved back to the coast where I can continue going out by myself as I've been doing since I was 10 years old.
PeterV
Finn K197, Finn GBR564, Hunter Duette.
Warsash

Post Options Post Options   Quote Sam.Spoons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 20 at 5:32pm
Curtailing healthy activities that don't involve contact is a double edged sword, maintaining the good spirits and mental health of the populace will go some way towards minimising the impact should they catch the virus and as long as they don't ban all travel I think sensible traveling to access such activities would probably be to the net benefit of the NHS (but I definitely don't claim any special knowledge).
Spice 346 "Flat Broke"
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 22>