FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Coronavirus and Club Sailing

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 19202122>
Author
john80 View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote john80 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 20 at 9:02am
If you are willing to take responsibility for yourself, can walk or cycle there and not involve the rescue services if it goes tits up then i cant get excited about this. Most of the faux outrage is people who dont accept those risks or are jealous they are not doing it. If it is social distancing then i dont see the problem much like i dont have a problem with people doing 100 mile bike rides.
Do Different View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Post Options Post Options   Quote Do Different Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 20 at 9:53am
Mountain Rescue and I believe RNLI have said tone it down. I believe we should respect that.
I may be wrong but I thought I heard the GOVT advice was to exercise close to home once a day for an hour.
Yes we could all find exceptional examples of minimal risk exercise. But that's not really the point is it? 
Surely we should be thinking about the whole and not the individual.

Rupert View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Rupert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 20 at 10:10am
Originally posted by Do Different

Mountain Rescue and I believe RNLI have said tone it down. I believe we should respect that.
I may be wrong but I thought I heard the GOVT advice was to exercise close to home once a day for an hour.
Yes we could all find exceptional examples of minimal risk exercise. But that's not really the point is it? 
Surely we should be thinking about the whole and not the individual.

This.

And don't be a selfish dick.
Firefly 2324, Lightning 130, Puffin 229, Minisail 3446
423zero View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote 423zero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 20 at 10:57am
Ireland have given a radius around your home, about a mile, seems a sensible option.
Have a thought for others, no one is saying we have to be miserable, just do our bit, one of my work colleagues has volunteered and is doing a shift guarding a food bank,he would never have in is lifetime imagined this, there are approximately half a million people doing diverse tasks, airline food factory next to my work has carried on with full productivity, they are giving the food away.
Robert
zeon View Drop Down
Far too distracted from work

Post Options Post Options   Quote zeon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 20 at 11:10am
This is not the government advice.
Yes, you are supposed to exercise from home.
Yes, you you are only supposed to to exercise once a day.
No, there is no time or distance limit on this exercise. When Gove was asked about this he said people should do what they normal do. ie don’t risk injury by running 10 miles if you normally run 5.
Can we all just follow the rules instead of bitching about them . This is really important, not like the normal bo@@ocks we normally talk about sailing  Smile Smile

tink View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote tink Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 20 at 11:39am
You are asked not to go in you car to do you exercise, comes under ‘don’t travel unless necessary’. My club is now completely closed because of this 
Tink
https://tinkboats.wordpress.com/

http://proasail.blogspot.com
423zero View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote 423zero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 20 at 12:37pm
Robert
turnturtle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote turnturtle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 20 at 12:46pm
Originally posted by zeon

This is really important, not like the normal bo@@ocks we normally talk about sailing  Smile Smile

Spot on
zeon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote zeon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 20 at 12:59pm
Originally posted by turnturtle

Originally posted by zeon

This is really important, not like the normal bo@@ocks we normally talk about sailing  Smile Smile

Spot on

Cheers James. It must be important if we  agree for once  LOL Smile Smile
fleaberto View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote fleaberto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 20 at 1:14pm
I work for one of the motoring breakdown companies. We have hundreds isolating so, when you go driving to your 'special' running/biking spot but get a flat tyre or flat battery it's a) Going to take you a very long time to get through on the phone and b) Take a very long time to get any assistance to you - if at all in some circumstances.

It's not all completely about the obvious stuff, it's about risk and services ability to help. You get a flat out on a car park at the moment? - I'm afraid you could well be on your own, instead of sipping a gin in the comfort of your living room.

This won't be forever. The more people that just use common sense, the quicker we can get back to normal.

What Rupert said: "Don't be a selfish dick!"
Lightning368 'All the Gear' (409), Lightning368 'Sprite' (101), Intl 420 ('Little Minx'),Contender 'Mild Oats' (620), Laser (big number) 'Yellow Jack'
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 19202122>