FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Major exhibitors pull out of show - Coronavirus

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
Author
A2Z View Drop Down
Far too distracted from work

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote A2Z Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 20 at 10:39am
True, but it's not the media quarantining millions of people.
Corona mortality rate is running at about 2%, so twenty times more deadly than typical flu. It makes sense to nip it in the bud if at all possible.
Sam.Spoons View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Online Status: Online
Post Options Post Options   Quote Sam.Spoons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 20 at 11:18am
That depends on how you measure it, based on cases with an outcome, i.e. recovered or died it's 20% fatality, but deaths are around 0.4% of confirmed cases (43,000 cases, 1014 deaths).

Edited by Sam.Spoons - 11 Feb 20 at 11:24am
Spice 346 "Flat Broke"
Blaze 671 "supersonic soap dish"
Sussex Lad View Drop Down
Posting king
Posting king

Post Options Post Options   Quote Sussex Lad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 20 at 11:19am

"True, but it's not the media quarantining millions of people.
Corona mortality rate is running at about 2%, so twenty times more deadly than typical flu. It makes sense to nip it in the bud if at all possible."

.......From what I've seen nobody is entirely sure what the mortality rate is for coronavirus. The last publication I read said 1%  other sources reckon about 2.1%.

Figures for flu are equally vague in reality. I've had flu a couple of times in my life, it was uncomfortable but I did not present myself to the medical services, neither has my wife who has had it a similar number of times.  We don't appear on any statistics along with millions of other uncomfortable but not desperate flu sufferers. Those who start to show life threatening symptoms do tend to present themselves and some sadly die..........Stats can only be accurate for "reported" cases.

Some of those that die may well have died if they had caught any sort of respiratory infection.

......The government are quarantining infected folk. I'm not saying this is the case with coronavirus but politicians (even the Chinese) do respond to public fears, some fears are real some are the product of hype published in the media.

Edited by Sussex Lad - 11 Feb 20 at 11:21am
seasailor View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote seasailor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 20 at 12:06pm
A quick Google suggests "nearly 8,500" people attended the dinghy show over two days last year.

Approx 60,000 regularly go to home matches at Spurs, Arsenal, West Ham, etc etc. week in week out
iGRF View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote iGRF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 20 at 6:11pm
You're more likely to catch woodworm at the Dinghy Show.
A2Z View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote A2Z Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 20 at 6:30pm
LOL
zeon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote zeon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 20 at 7:54pm

Edited by zeon - 01 Oct 20 at 1:10pm
rich4rd View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote rich4rd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 20 at 2:17pm
1014 is 0.4% of 43 000?
Sam.Spoons View Drop Down

Online Status: Online
Post Options Post Options   Quote Sam.Spoons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 20 at 2:31pm
Originally posted by rich4rd

1014 is 0.4% of 43 000?

No you're right it's roughly 2.5%. Fatalities still around 20% of those with outcome though.

Edited by Sam.Spoons - 12 Feb 20 at 2:32pm
Spice 346 "Flat Broke"
Blaze 671 "supersonic soap dish"
H2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote H2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 20 at 1:59am
Do you really think that only 43,000 people have been infected? Based on the out break starting in China and the fact that for many the symptoms would appear like a standard cold the likely rate of deaths per 1,000 infected is very, very low. Seasonal flu is more deadly as is crossing the road in Manila as I nearly found out this morning ;-)
H2 #115
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>