FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Downwind Instability = Swim

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
Author
epicfail View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote epicfail Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Downwind Instability = Swim
    Posted: 03 Feb 20 at 6:55pm
Hi Gareth, I'm in North Hampshire - so Weymouth is not too far away, the training day sounds rather interesting. Is there somewhere I can find more details? I'm a pond sailor I have no idea what to do with anything resembling a wave - unless it's from the rescue boat..

GarethT View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Post Options Post Options   Quote GarethT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 20 at 7:12pm
There's a fair few of us in your neck of the woods; Chichester Harbour, Stokes Bay, Lee on the Solent, Weston and New Forest.

There are a few of us doing the Chichester Snowflake if you fancy joining us (although this weekend looks a bit crazy!)

UK Europe Sailing Facebook

There is also a website, but most of the interaction is on Facebook.

www.ukeuropclass.com

Edited by GarethT - 03 Feb 20 at 7:21pm
H2 View Drop Down

Online Status: Online
Post Options Post Options   Quote H2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 20 at 10:27am
Originally posted by Sam.Spoons

I believe Steve Cockerill demonstrated that 'by the lee' works on boats with a stayed rig by cleaning up at the Blaze Nationals back in 2002. Perhaps you need to get him in an H2?  Wink

Might do - been quite fun having Nick Craig in the class over the winter!
H2 #115 (sold)
H2 145
OK 2082
Sam.Spoons View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Sam.Spoons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 20 at 10:28am
Big smile I'll bet it has  Thumbs Up
Spice 346 "Flat Broke"
Blaze 671 "supersonic soap dish"
davidyacht View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote davidyacht Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 20 at 11:15am
Originally posted by H2

I do love sailing, you get to learn each and every day! In the H2 you cannot go by the lee due to the stays and the flat top main is very sensitive to kicker down wind, as soon as the top of the sail gets ahead of the mast you are going for a swim 100% guaranteed so you literally sail downwind playing the kicker letting it off in the lulls and pulling it back on in the gusts! Clearly the Europe is different - I assume the same would work with a Laser and Finn?

I have seldom sailed such a stable and forgiving singlehander as the H2 downwind; on the day that I raced the demo boat it was seriously windy and even after going "down the mine" the bow popped up.  And she was dead stable on a deep planing run.

Like Keith's Merlin designs, of which I sailed one in my youth, I suspect that the H2 might be less forgiving when allowed to rail on her chines.

The large flat top main may be an issue, but stays don't stop the Solo from sailing by the lee, albeit not as extreme as the non-stayed classes, but it is still fast, and I would suggest sailing deep on the run allows you to pick your gybing moment almost anywhere in the downwind leg, whereas a reach to reach gybe commits you to gybing at a specific point.
Happily living in the past
423zero View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote 423zero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 20 at 7:02am
Well you should be able to try Europe this weekend, forecast is good for extreme running.
Robert

Post Options Post Options   Quote Sam.Spoons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 20 at 9:33am
Originally posted by 423zero

Well you should be able to try Europe this weekend, forecast is good for extreme swimming.

FTFY  LOL
Spice 346 "Flat Broke"
423zero View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote 423zero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 20 at 9:57am
80mph, should be a good display, get it on video.
Robert
DiscoBall View Drop Down
Far too distracted from work
Far too distracted from work

Post Options Post Options   Quote DiscoBall Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 20 at 7:53pm
Originally posted by epicfail

I only started sailing again in November after a 30 year break, the first time I got in my Europe was for a race - haven't actually sailed the boat just for the fun. Now I know what I don't know I have something to work on!

Don't be too hard on yourself then - with its Moth heritage the Europe is a bit more twitchy/responsive (depending on your taste) than many other singlehanders, but that's it charm.

One thing I'm not sure was mentioned above was to check the range of movement of your kicker as maybe it can go off too far? A very rough rule of thumb is to put your elbow on the top of the transom, then the furthest the boom should go up is the end of your outstretched fingers. If it can go up further then that may not be helping.

Worth a look at Lars' youtube channel - not that relevant to pond sailing but it's definitely how you sail a Europe well.  Wink

Edited by DiscoBall - 10 Feb 20 at 7:56pm

Post Options Post Options   Quote Sam.Spoons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 20 at 10:12pm
I've only had one relatively brief sail in a very old and tired Europe, on the sea and in a good F4-5 breeze* but would not describe it as twitchy compared to other boats, no more so than a Laser anyway.

* Fabulous little boat, loved it, if I was a little bendier and 5-10kg lighter it would definitely be on my shortlist.

Edited by Sam.Spoons - 10 Feb 20 at 10:14pm
Spice 346 "Flat Broke"
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>