FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Downwind Instability = Swim

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
Author
Sam.Spoons View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote Sam.Spoons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Downwind Instability = Swim
    Posted: 03 Feb 20 at 10:47am
Yup, that video turns everything you instinctively think is right on it's head. The bit that did it for me is at 6:40" 'Cockerill's Rule'

Edited by Sam.Spoons - 03 Feb 20 at 10:47am
Spice 346 "Flat Broke"
Blaze 671 "supersonic soap dish"
423zero View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote 423zero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 20 at 12:57pm
'Cockerels rule' stay in the bar.
Robert
epicfail View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote epicfail Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 20 at 1:37pm
The bit at 6.40 is pretty much exactly what happened to me, a chap watching the race told me it looked like I was going the pitch pole. 

My only question is if I'm sailing by the lee and pull the rudder towards me will I not end up with a rather exciting gybe? 
GarethT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote GarethT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 20 at 1:41pm
Unless you are already hard by the lee, you won’t gibe unless you keep steering. It gets you back flat so you can get back under control. Once flat I would then point a little more towards dead downwind, and sheet in a little.

If you’ve got your kicker eased it is really quite forgiving in terms of gybing, and you can pretty much sail on a broad reach with the sail on the ‘wrong’ side.
GarethT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote GarethT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 20 at 1:42pm
Another thing, by the lee sheeting works the opposite way so sheet in to depower and ease to power up.
H2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote H2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 20 at 3:14pm
I do love sailing, you get to learn each and every day! In the H2 you cannot go by the lee due to the stays and the flat top main is very sensitive to kicker down wind, as soon as the top of the sail gets ahead of the mast you are going for a swim 100% guaranteed so you literally sail downwind playing the kicker letting it off in the lulls and pulling it back on in the gusts! Clearly the Europe is different - I assume the same would work with a Laser and Finn?
H2 #115 (sold)
H2 145
OK 2082
Sam.Spoons View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Sam.Spoons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 20 at 3:21pm
I believe Steve Cockerill demonstrated that 'by the lee' works on boats with a stayed rig by cleaning up at the Blaze Nationals back in 2002. Perhaps you need to get him in an H2?  Wink

Edited by Sam.Spoons - 03 Feb 20 at 3:22pm
Spice 346 "Flat Broke"
Blaze 671 "supersonic soap dish"
epicfail View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote epicfail Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 20 at 6:14pm
Thank you everyone for pointing me in the right direction. Lots of really interesting stuff to think about, I need to get out and practice these things. I only started sailing again in November after a 30 year break, the first time I got in my Europe was for a race - haven't actually sailed the boat just for the fun. Now I know what I don't know I have something to work on!
GarethT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote GarethT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 20 at 6:17pm
Where do you sail?

First weekend in June there’s a Europe event at Weymouth, with a training day on the Friday. Last year’s training day was brilliant, with some great tips on survival sailing (plus the whole event was a great social).
johnbrooker View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote johnbrooker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 20 at 6:37pm
Hi all, as others have said more kicker may help. I use more kicker in stronger winds than light- you'll find the more you let off the more unstable you feel. 

Rule of thumb- let is off as far as you can until the boat starts feeling unstable. 

Also bear away in the gusts and keep your weight aft 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>