FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Multiple fleets / starts

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Sighmoon View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote Sighmoon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Multiple fleets / starts
    Posted: 02 Mar 20 at 4:26pm
Originally posted by polc1410

Why are you developing a new app

Have you looked at DSRC on Android? It does what you want

Good to have a choice though, no?
polc1410 View Drop Down
Posting king
Posting king

Post Options Post Options   Quote polc1410 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 20 at 5:00pm
Why are you developing a new app

Have you looked at DSRC on Android? It does what you want
Sighmoon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Sighmoon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 20 at 11:59am
Originally posted by Sam.Spoons

We have four starts, Laser Handicap, Open Handicap, Assy Handicap and Solo OD. As many as 80 boats in the winter series and OD plus two or, usually, three assistants on the committee boat.

For club racing it's two starts on a Sunday and one on Wed and Sat with RO an one assistant. Far fewer boat though, maybe 25 max.
That's a healthy club. Our dinghy park isn't that big.

So one person / device per start would just cut it?

Edited by Sighmoon - 30 Jan 20 at 12:00pm
Sam.Spoons View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Post Options Post Options   Quote Sam.Spoons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 20 at 11:25am
We have four starts, Laser Handicap, Open Handicap, Assy Handicap and Solo OD. As many as 80 boats in the winter series and OD plus two or, usually, three assistants on the committee boat.

For club racing it's two starts on a Sunday and one on Wed and Sat with RO an one assistant. Far fewer boat though, maybe 25 max.

Edited by Sam.Spoons - 30 Jan 20 at 11:57am
Spice 346 "Flat Broke"
Blaze 671 "supersonic soap dish"
Sighmoon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Sighmoon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 20 at 8:10am
Originally posted by Rupert

Having multiple screens would make sense to me, mimicking multiple A4 pieces of paper, each with a different assistant attached.
Multiple screens, manned by as many assistants, would be my preferred solution as I don't have to do any extra works.
Rupert View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Rupert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 20 at 8:07am
I've been at events/clubs with 4 starts on a regular basis. I have a vague memory of an 8 start sequence at one point, but can't remember why or where.

The biggest issue is that the finishes will be pretty random between fleets. Having multiple screens would make sense to me, mimicking multiple A4 pieces of paper, each with a different assistant attached.
Firefly 2324, Puffin 229, Minisail 3446 Mirror 70686
Sighmoon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Sighmoon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 20 at 6:24am
Also, why does Y&Y's forum software not let me put line breaks where I want?
Sighmoon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Sighmoon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 20 at 6:22am
As I've written about on another topic, I'm developing a race timing app.

One thing it can't yet do is manage multiple starts from the one device. I'm trying to work out whether it needs to, and how best to manage it.

My own experience is limited - open meetings, nationals and club racing at 3 clubs (all with only 1 start). The way fleets work in our club is they all start on the same line at the same time and are competing in the handicap fleet too.

What would be the maximum number of starts where races overlap?

What is the maximum number of handicap starts?

If sharing a start, are one design classes also eligible for handicap prizes?

Typically, how many starts are there in your club racing?

Do the fleets cross the finish line mixed amongst each other? ie. should all entrants be shown together on one tab or have different fleets on different tabs?

How many people would be in the committee boat? Would it in fact work better to use a separate device for each fleet?

Does it matter if one design fleets get incorrect times, so long as the position is right? (The time between boats would be right)

Is there anything else I should consider but perhaps haven't?

Edited by Sighmoon - 30 Jan 20 at 6:24am
 Post Reply Post Reply