FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Help, stop me wasting cash on a new Contender.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
iGRF View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote iGRF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Help, stop me wasting cash on a new Contender.
    Posted: 10 Feb 20 at 2:30pm
I accept all that, but it's the only other 'class' with more than 3 boats, with mine there will be five and they are all good helms with various strengths and weaknesses that will be fun seeing how far up the wind threshold I can keep up with them.

It's either that or buy a Laser and wait to die.
rich96 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote rich96 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 20 at 3:00pm
Go for it

Much better to have other sailors in the same boat to compare with rather than getting worked up in handicap fleets
Gordon 1430 View Drop Down
Far too distracted from work

Post Options Post Options   Quote Gordon 1430 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 20 at 3:50pm
Now it makes sense you want one design racing!
Gordon
Phantom 1430
ian.r.mcdonald View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote ian.r.mcdonald Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 20 at 4:08pm
I remember a visit to Black Rock YC in Melbourne. All the Contender sailors took their covers off and sunbathed till the breeze got to 15 kts- then they went sailing. Lovely boat
Rupert View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Rupert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 20 at 4:16pm
One design, but then grf wants to take it straight out of class, as I read it. Expect any correctors will be removed, too, so not really a Contender any more.
Firefly 2324, Puffin 229, Minisail 3446 Mirror 70686
The Moo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote The Moo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 20 at 5:34pm
and if he is class racing who will he blame when his arse is handed to him on a plate? Not PYAG.
zeon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote zeon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 20 at 7:15pm
This is why he won’t do it . If you want more evidence you only have to look at his boat owning history , 
Rupert View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Rupert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 20 at 8:04pm
To be fair, very few of us put money where our typing fingers are in the way that grumph does. Usually for very good reason!

Most of us would buy an old Rondar contender to trash on the beach whilst learning, for instance.
Firefly 2324, Puffin 229, Minisail 3446 Mirror 70686
Jack Sparrow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Jack Sparrow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 20 at 1:25pm
Cost of a new Contender, 20k? Cost of a new fat head main sail for your Farr 3.7, and the ability to test it out for the UK Class to consider it for adoption - £600.

No brainer - go for the Contender. Please name it "Codswallop" ;-)
iGRF View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote iGRF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 20 at 8:14pm
Well, I've put the whole Contender issue on the back burner and have ordered up a new sail for the Farr and am getting it repaired. I read the Contender Class rule book and it totally put me off, paying the best part of 15k for an 82 kilo hull, they physically have to put resin in to make it heavy for f**ks sake. Then there's no on the fly rig adjustments (fore and aft) allowed so you can't trim the mast rake, hence why they suck in light airs and have had to succumb to an electric mountain bike becuase my snowflake chums have all gone for them, so my fun budget is blown for a while.

Edited by iGRF - 26 Feb 20 at 8:15pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123