FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Training aid idea

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
johnbrooker View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote johnbrooker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Training aid idea
    Posted: 31 Jan 20 at 11:54am
I agree an audio speed read-out would be handy for training purposes- I don't think it'd be legal when racing in many classes. If it was an app on your phone it might be hard to hear though with the wind and more so if the phone is in a waterproof case. 

I always thought the google glass would be a cool way to do this eventually- glasses that overlay the speed over what you're seeing. That tech may be a bit far off though!
Sam.Spoons View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Post Options Post Options   Quote Sam.Spoons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 20 at 12:20pm
Would they be known a "Sailing Googles"?  Geek
Spice 346 "Flat Broke"
Blaze 671 "supersonic soap dish"
ian.r.mcdonald View Drop Down
Far too distracted from work
Far too distracted from work

Post Options Post Options   Quote ian.r.mcdonald Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 20 at 1:51pm
Whilst many of the regular posters pretend not to be competent and experienced sailors, most are.

We can all feel through our feet, body and the boat ( and rig) the difference between naff, ok and perfect tacks. The boat feels alive coming out of the best ones.

And I am not sure a beginner having to watch and listen to outside inputs is going to help much

Post Options Post Options   Quote Sam.Spoons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 20 at 2:00pm
Something that gives audio feedback when the boat slows or speeds up would be useful. As johnbrooker says above a phone app might be viable. I'd suggest a continuous tone that changes frequency with speed, higher pitched=faster or a regular beep which speeds up or slows down would be the easiest to hear/interpret.

If a cheap visual readout is needed a paddle wheel device and a bicycle speedo may be the way?

Edited by Sam.Spoons - 31 Jan 20 at 2:02pm
Spice 346 "Flat Broke"
johnbrooker View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote johnbrooker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 20 at 2:08pm
Agreed Ian, depends what level you are at. If you are at British Sailing Team/ Americas Cup level I could see how that could be useful. 

Sam, the continuous tone would make sense. And I liked the "Sailing Googles" comment!

Post Options Post Options   Quote Sam.Spoons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 20 at 2:41pm
Originally posted by johnbrooker

Sam, the continuous tone would make sense.

Just thinking about that one, maybe beeps would be less irritating  Embarrassed
Spice 346 "Flat Broke"
423zero View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote 423zero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 20 at 3:19pm
Audible would be a no no, people moan about my sailing watch beeping for every minute  Angry
got moisture in the glass, left it in the window till it disappeared, works perfectly except for the beeping for every minute, won't go even when you cancel it in settings  Angry 'SO' something sounding like a geiger counter picking up radiation would be a fighting matter  LOL
Robert

Post Options Post Options   Quote Sam.Spoons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 20 at 3:38pm
TBF this would only be for training as most classes ban electronic aids while racing so the only others around would be your crew and/or training partner and, for both, the info would be relevant.
Spice 346 "Flat Broke"
tink View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote tink Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 20 at 5:16pm
Originally posted by Sam.Spoons

Something that gives audio feedback when the boat slows or speeds up would be useful. As johnbrooker says above a phone app might be viable. I'd suggest a continuous tone that changes frequency with speed, higher pitched=faster or a regular beep which speeds up or slows down would be the easiest to hear/interpret.

If a cheap visual readout is needed a paddle wheel device and a bicycle speedo may be the way?

The changing frequency was the the thought of thing I figured would work 

I am dyslexic which means I don’t make the normal connections and has helped my career as a design engineer. Any ho - from bike speedo - bike bell, impeller rotates the hammer of a bike bell, as speed changes frequency of ‘clangs’ changes
Tink
https://tinkboats.com

http://proasail.blogspot.com

Post Options Post Options   Quote Sam.Spoons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 20 at 2:33pm
Zombie thread revival alert.....

Just been thinking more about this. I think I'm struggling to make best VMG upwind so I've decided to use my old Garmin Etrex to help out when practicing. Question, for the VMG feature to work a waypoint some distance upwind is required. I'm just trying to get a feel for the best compromise between pointing high and footing fast so, as I see it, it doesn't really matter exactly where that is for my purposes as long as it's in the 'no-go' window? 
Spice 346 "Flat Broke"
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>