FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

The Zone.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Sam.Spoons View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote Sam.Spoons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The Zone.
    Posted: 11 Jan 20 at 5:12pm
Interesting topic on the Dinghy and boat advice FB group.

An Optimist and a Norfolk Punt are approaching a mark together* and the the Punt is clear astern but, almost certainly, sailing faster. The Punt is behind when it reaches three lengths from the mark (roughly 18 metres) but the Oppi has not entered the zone (<7 metres). At this point the rules are clear but what if the Punt gets his bow ahead of the Oppi before the Oppi reaches his 3 length 'zone'? Does the punt 'zone' apply? I think it must but the Punt may already be a full length inside it's 'zone' by this time.

* Vanishingly unlikely I know but somebody posed the question........
Spice 346 "Flat Broke"
Blaze 671 "supersonic soap dish"
423zero View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote 423zero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 20 at 5:29pm
I think this is more of a safety issue, who would run down a child in a Oppy with a Punt ?
Robert

Post Options Post Options   Quote Sam.Spoons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 20 at 5:36pm
Exactly, I'd expect the Punt to stay out of the way too but, as an academic question it's interesting (ok, not very but maybe I have too much time on my hands....).
Spice 346 "Flat Broke"
Rupert View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Rupert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 20 at 5:45pm
Surely the zone that counts is the lead boat's? So the punt has mark room if inside overlapped on the Oppie before 3 oppie lengths.
Firefly 2324, Puffin 229, Minisail 3446 Mirror 70686
423zero View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote 423zero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 20 at 5:46pm
Probably work better with a Mirror and a Punt
Robert

Post Options Post Options   Quote Sam.Spoons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 20 at 6:08pm
The zone that counts is that of the boat nearest the mark. So until the bow of the Punt is closer to the mark than the Oppi the Oppi's zone of around 7 metres is the one that counts. If the punt gets nearer the mark than the Oppi before the Oppi reaches it's zone then I guess the Oppi's zone becomes irrelevant and the 18 metre circle that represents the Punt's zone becomes the one that matters.*

But yeah, either way (Mirror or Oppi) if the Punt is inside it is entitled to room and if outside would have to give the oppi room.

* might be more interesting with a foiling Moth (3.3m) and a Punt (6.27m) or Thames Rater (9m+?)
Spice 346 "Flat Broke"
423zero View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote 423zero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 20 at 6:35pm
Might as well go whole Hog and say AC cat versus Oppy
Robert

Post Options Post Options   Quote Sam.Spoons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 20 at 6:46pm
That would be pretty much the same (just a matter of degree) with the smaller boat being the slower boat. But, with the Moth/Thames Rater conflict the smaller boat is quite likely to be the boat closing from behind. However that would mean the situation, as described, wouldn't arise.
Spice 346 "Flat Broke"
JimC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote JimC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 20 at 7:29pm
Like a lot of these angels dancing on a pin questions I suspect the answer is simpler than its portrayed.
The only time the inside boat doesn't get mark room is if one boat was clear ahead when she reached the zone. Yes, the zone magically expands when the longer boat overtakes the shorter boat. But so what. The boats are overlapped. The shorter boat reached the zone when the longer boat got closer to the mark.
423zero View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote 423zero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 20 at 8:16pm
I think an Oppy would win without PY adjustment on our small pond, AC wouldn't make the turns.
Robert
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>