FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Why does the Laser exist?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567>
Author
JimC View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote JimC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Why does the Laser exist?
    Posted: 18 Dec 19 at 8:35am
Originally posted by zeon

Believe what you want .

Indeed you can and will. But if you go and watch, say, a Laser Masters event in breeze you will see plenty of sailors who are no longer capable of that sort of effort somehow contrive to get round the course.

Arguably the question that one should ask is what the difference in performance is between sailing at 100% of an Olympic sailor's physical capabilities and say 75%, 50% or whatever is within a given sailors own capabilities. In serious breeze just about any unballasted sailboat will make demands beyond any sailor's physical capability.

We all have to back off a bit in extreme conditions. The ultimate question, I suppose, would be whether you are still having fun backed off like that, or has it become an unremitting struggle for no reward. And only the individual can answer that for themself.

Edited by JimC - 18 Dec 19 at 8:38am
Mark Aged 42 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote Mark Aged 42 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec 19 at 9:10am
At the Essex Yacht Club we are all on Radial rigs, regardless of our size. We have the mighty Andrea, who is all of 5 foot 2 and, ahem, 60kg maybe. She is no youngster either, and she is always a potential winner in any wind. Its not the size of the dog in the fight.
Can I say that in the context of Andrea :-)

zeon View Drop Down
Far too distracted from work

Post Options Post Options   Quote zeon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec 19 at 9:16am
Originally posted by tink

[QUOTE=sargesail]And I put it to you that with that background he’d have looked much the same whatever he was sailing. It’s about effort levels.

Believe what you want . If you think all boats take the same effect to get round a race course that’s fine . 
I don’t . 

Obviously all boats require different efforts to get around a course but the comment earlier that in a breeze a Laser can’t be got around a course are not correct. Getting going again after a capsize is equally part of it and the Laser does better than most in the OP list in that regard [/QUOTE

I have never said it cannot be got round a course, I have only ever made the point that it takes more physical effect than a lot of similar boats because of it’s unforgiving rig . A point also made by Jeffers, another long time laser sailor. Your capsize point is a good one , it’s very easy to do a dry one and easy to get back into when you don’t 
Don’t get me wrong , I love the laser , I sailed one for 20 years, but I am not blind to its faults.
And in the end , as a mid fleet sailor  with limited talent, it’s these faults that made me leave the class.
Sam.Spoons View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Sam.Spoons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec 19 at 9:33am
Originally posted by Mark Aged 42

At the Essex Yacht Club we are all on Radial rigs, regardless of our size. We have the mighty Andrea, who is all of 5 foot 2 and, ahem, 60kg maybe. She is no youngster either, and she is always a potential winner in any wind. Its not the size of the dog in the fight.
Can I say that in the context of Andrea :-)

You'd probably have to run it past Andrea for a definitive answer........ Rather you than me though......  LOL
Spice 346 "Flat Broke"
Blaze 671 "supersonic soap dish"
The Moo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote The Moo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec 19 at 2:06pm

Two weeks ago on Sunday it was very windy , our race was won by our only regular laser sailor. He is in his late 30s, the perfect size for a laser, very very fit , has been though the squad system to a very high level and is probably the best sailor at the club.
After the race he looked like death warmed up , he was a broken man.
I base my view on my own experience and what I see with my own eyes.
I rest my case and will not comment again . Smile

He is undoubtedly an excellent sailor, but I suspect until joining our Club he will have had very little experience of the funeling effects and impossible to predict major headers we get on our little tree lined water, which when blowing seriously hard will wipe out most if not all boats that are being hiked properly. I am not surprised if he looked broken.

Did any other boat finish that race?
zeon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote zeon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec 19 at 2:36pm
Originally posted by The Moo

Two weeks ago on Sunday it was very windy , our race was won by our only regular laser sailor. He is in his late 30s, the perfect size for a laser, very very fit , has been though the squad system to a very high level and is probably the best sailor at the club.
After the race he looked like death warmed up , he was a broken man.
I base my view on my own experience and what I see with my own eyes.
I rest my case and will not comment again . Smile

He is undoubtedly an excellent sailor, but I suspect until joining our Club he will have had very little experience of the funeling effects and impossible to predict major headers we get on our little tree lined water, which when blowing seriously hard will wipe out most if not all boats that are being hiked properly. I am not surprised if he looked broken.

Did any other boat finish that race?

Yes , other people did finish .And one of his capsizes was definitely due to the above effect. His other capsize was a more typical, down wind boom in the air job  LOL

Edited by zeon - 18 Dec 19 at 2:47pm
tink View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote tink Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec 19 at 3:52pm
Quality of of the film not up to modern standards but still awesome 

Obviously he is messing about but on a whole that boat is almost always close to flat and yes athleticism but nothing super human. Tom is in control of the heel and constantly adjusting the main. 

Like the answer to most people’s sailing issues, time on the water makes you a better sailor.

.... and in context, this is design is 1/2 a century old 

Tink
https://tinkboats.com

http://proasail.blogspot.com
The Moo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote The Moo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec 19 at 4:14pm
Mr Slingsby does not seem to have any real issues with the mainsheet catching on the gybes.   
zeon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote zeon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec 19 at 5:00pm
Originally posted by tink

Quality of of the film not up to modern standards but still awesome 

Obviously he is messing about but on a whole that boat is almost always close to flat and yes athleticism but nothing super human. Tom is in control of the heel and constantly adjusting the main. 

Like the answer to most people’s sailing issues, time on the water makes you a better sailor.

.... and in context, this is design is 1/2 a century old 

Great footage. But it’s a bit posting footage of Mr Bolt and saying if I train like him I too can run the 100 metres in 10 seconds  LOL LOL
Sam.Spoons View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Sam.Spoons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec 19 at 6:24pm
Maybe you could though  Wink

Dinghy racing is about far more than simple fitness, even the super fit Mr Bolt probably couldn't get a Laser downwind in F6 without the odd capsize.
Spice 346 "Flat Broke"
Blaze 671 "supersonic soap dish"
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567>