FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Why does the Laser exist?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 567
Author
JimC View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote JimC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 19 at 11:18am
There were a lot of one shop one designs back then, each little builder tried to develop their own in the hope that it would take off and they'd get rich. That's why there were so many more different classes back then. Boats like the Firefly, the Gull etc were all effectively single manufacturer one designs, and even single supply sails weren't unknown.

What was new about the Laser, I think, was the complete ban on altering the boat at all to suit the sailor, so you didn't have to think about the boat from one week to the next, just, as you say, turn up and go sailing.

Its interesting that has been lost of recent years, and whilst all the changes and options look like improvements on the surface, they have tended to subtract from the basic turn up and sail simplicity.
Sam.Spoons View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Sam.Spoons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 19 at 11:02am
It was a completely new marketing paradigm at least as far as the dinghy world was concerned. All those others with the possible exception of the Sunfish (which I know little about) were 'normal' One Designs (was the Canoe a One Design hull by then?) with a variety of builders and sailmakers for each. The Laser was a one stop shop and, by design, they were all identical. No need to decide who made the fastest hull or sail just buy the package and go sailing.

Edited by Sam.Spoons - 16 Dec 19 at 11:06am
Spice 346 "Flat Broke"
Blaze 671 "supersonic soap dish"
Mark Aged 42 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote Mark Aged 42 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 19 at 10:10am
Don't get me wrong, I love mine, but while sitting around at the weekend waiting for the wind to drop, I got to wondering about the birth of the Laser.
At its inception, by my reckoning, available single handers included:
Finn
Solo
Europe
OK
Moth
Contender
Canoe
Streaker
Sunfish
Minisail

Surely there was something for everybody in that list.
So how did the Laser muscle in so successfully?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 567