FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Why does the Laser exist?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 7>
Author
iGRF View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote iGRF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Why does the Laser exist?
    Posted: 17 Dec 19 at 1:03pm
I'm under lots of pressure to sail a Laser, we have a good fleet now at Hythe and they're all good sailors. I'm probably the worse actual sailor from a technical boat handling point of view in both clubs I sail at (yet have half decent tactical racing skills that keep me in the game), on the sea and the lake, yet like Paul last Sunday it got a bit beyond stupid with a gusty wind wiping all but one of them out, yet I survived and dry in my little Solution. They say had I had a spell in a Laser my technical skills would be so much better, (personally I think it's too late, old dog new tricks etc) but my question still remains, why go back? If there are better, easier boats, that let even t**sers like me (honestly if you watched me actually sail I'm useless at the ropes and handling)get round in half decent order, why constantly foist boats like the Laser on them especially newcomers that frankly haven't a prayer?

Edited by iGRF - 17 Dec 19 at 1:07pm
JimC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote JimC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 19 at 10:53am
Its not really necessary to hike like a demon, you just have to accept your limitations and sail like the Olympic boys would in another 5 knots... It just feels like its necessary.

Its probably inevitable that if you can change down a rig size you will, especially since you'll be more competitive if the handicap changes. Perhaps its a sign of increasing average sailor age.

It doesn't seem to me that there's any especial reason why an Aero should be more difficult to sail when overpowered than any other class, but *because* the zeitgeist in the class is to buy two rigs, everyone does change down...
jeffers View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote jeffers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 19 at 10:39am
Originally posted by tink

I haven’t owned a Laser for many years but spend a couple of weeks a year at a beach club sailing one. Mornings are drifters afternoons are full on waves and big wind. For context I sail a Streaker and before that an IC, the wrong side of fifty and in OK shape but no athlete. When I first started back in the Laser I hated it for all the well documented reasons, but after getting crib notes from a bloke back home and watching the boat whisperer DVDs I started to enjoy myself in it, particularly big winds and big waves. It is a boat that rewards technique and you can pretty well sail it in anything if you just keep it flat. 

The problem is keeping it flat in a breeze requires the ability to hike like a demon and constant adjustment given how unresponsive the rig is.

Last weekend it was breezey (but not excessively). 2 of our usual full rig laser people changed down to sail Radials because they say they can't handle the boat in a breeze. These are 'good' club level sailors so shouldn't really have had an issue.

By contrast my D-Zero was revelling in the conditions, the rig doing a lot of the hard work for me in the gusty conditions.

So yes there are better boats out there but bang for buck it is still hard to beat a Laser/ILCA despite the shortcomings (ergonomics, poor rig by modern standards).
Paul
----------------------
D-Zero GBR 74
H2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote H2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 19 at 9:12am
Originally posted by CT249

Zeon, comments such as implying that the Laser should not exist and others saying "pretty much everything else is much nicer" make it pretty clear that I'm not the only one sniping.

I do apologise - I was not intending to have a go at the Laser but do realise my comments read like I was, I was actually having a bit of a wander down memory lane out loud and remembering sailing the Laser through the squad system back in the 90s when many of today's UK super star helms were also going through the system. I owe the Laser many things, it certainly taught me how to sail technically and it taught me how fit you need to be to sail at that level and it also put me off sailing for twenty years although marriage and kids could also be blamed in part. I personally found it a boat that was very hard on the helm physically in terms of damage to knees and other joints and I only got back into sailing competitively once boat design evolved to take into account that the helm's health is not a disposable item.

Undoubtedly it was a revolution and one that spawned the dinghy scene that we have today and for that I am very grateful. Would never buy another one though.
H2 #115 (sold)
H2 145
OK 2082
zeon View Drop Down
Far too distracted from work

Post Options Post Options   Quote zeon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 19 at 9:05am
Originally posted by A2Z

Originally posted by zeon

Have you even see a H2 in the flesh ? For its size it’s light . It’s a hell of a lot bigger than a laser and lighter too . The only person sniping on here tonight is you. Chill out a bit  Smile

Personally I find it weird looking, but beauty is in the eye of the beholder. The one at our club got sold on pretty quickly - the owner, a good sailor, didn’t get on with it despite high hopes.  

It’s not for me either but it’s carving out a nice little nich for its self .

I won’t comment on it’s looks as people in glass houses shouldn’t throw stones, my own ride at the moment is a british moth  LOL LOL
H2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote H2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 19 at 9:00am

Originally posted by H2

I was thinking something similar a few weekends ago after getting back to the beach after a few hours racing in a force 6. I was thinking that 25 years ago I was out racing my Laser and in those conditions I would have been totally battered and broken and here I was as a middle age man with a smile on my face and I thought to myself "Why does a Laser even exist?" :-)

Because many of us love it, and because we don't get broken up sailing on in F6.

Other interesting questions are why does anyone buy a new design like the H2, which weighs as much as a 1960s design?

Ummm - the hull weight of a Laser and a H2 are almost identical yet a H2 is a much larger boat which can easily carry a modern human of more than 80kg and be competitive! One of the best bits of the hull being much larger is that it is comfy to hike all day long.
H2 #115 (sold)
H2 145
OK 2082
zeon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote zeon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 19 at 8:58am

Zeon, comments such as implying that the Laser should not exist and others saying "pretty much everything else is much nicer" make it pretty clear that I'm not the only one sniping.

We all know why it was good, it was it the right boat at the right time ( the performance per pound spend could not be beaten plus it was high tech for the time and had a great class stucture.)

But the the only reasons left are the class racing and the fact second hand ones are cheap.

I am not saying All boats built since are nicer to sail. But what I am saying in my experience is every other boat I have owned has been nicer to sail and more controllable in a f6 than the lasers I have owned, even ones fitted with xd kit . And that’s not to say all these other boats didn’t have there own problems , but that’s for other threads . Smile

Rupert View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Rupert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 19 at 8:47am
It exists simply because it was a better boat than those already out there. It still exists not only because of the critical mass, but because almost everyone who sails it at club level, especially those learning to race, love it.
Firefly 2324, Puffin 229, Minisail 3446 Mirror 70686
tink View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote tink Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 19 at 7:09am

I haven’t owned a Laser for many years but spend a couple of weeks a year at a beach club sailing one. Mornings are drifters afternoons are full on waves and big wind. For context I sail a Streaker and before that an IC, the wrong side of fifty and in OK shape but no athlete. When I first started back in the Laser I hated it for all the well documented reasons, but after getting crib notes from a bloke back home and watching the boat whisperer DVDs I started to enjoy myself in it, particularly big winds and big waves. It is a boat that rewards technique and you can pretty well sail it in anything if you just keep it flat. When I did my coaching course it was so windy normal sailing wasn’t feasible, we did rudderless sailing in Lasers, I doubt many other boats would let you do that. 

If the question had been  ‘still’ exist I think the relatively unchanged nature of the Laser, cost of ownership and equal racing all rate highly. I am probably going to replace the Streaker with a Laser next year, for these reasons. 

Tink
https://tinkboats.com

http://proasail.blogspot.com
rich96 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote rich96 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 19 at 4:51am
When it appeared it was completely different to anything available - faster than pretty much all other hiking dinghies, 'cool', easy to maintain, durable, etc etc etc

Some of the boats listed earlier have developed now into 'nicer' boats but weren't at that the time - the OK and Finn are completely different now

Strangely, for many of us, the Laser still does what it did in the 70s now very well. Despite a few recent modern designs being a little quicker and 'nicer' its taken a long time for this evolution to occur

Despite some of the comments on this thread, I'd say the Laser was one of the few boats that lots of us would be happy to go out for a blast in F6 ?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 7>