FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Which Laser sail?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
eric_c View Drop Down
Far too distracted from work

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote eric_c Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Which Laser sail?
    Posted: 10 Dec 19 at 11:50am
Originally posted by Sam.Spoons

[.....(I can't imagine this is remotely sub-standard https://www.roostersailing.com/pd/Replacement-MK2-Standard-Laser-Sail-Combo-Deal_107523.htm which should be a good option for the club sailor.

That is made of 3.8oz cloth. The Laser 'no button' sail is made of 4.5oz cloth like the class legal one.
A sail made from 4.5oz cloth of a known brand seems appealing to me.

But any of these sails will be a great improvement over an ancient original sail. Differences between them will be relatively minor.

For PY racing best bet is keep the Laser for very windy days and buy a nicer boat for enjoyable sailing.
Sam.Spoons View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Post Options Post Options   Quote Sam.Spoons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 19 at 12:20pm
Originally posted by eric_c

Originally posted by Sam.Spoons

[.....(I can't imagine this is remotely sub-standard https://www.roostersailing.com/pd/Replacement-MK2-Standard-Laser-Sail-Combo-Deal_107523.htm which should be a good option for the club sailor.

That is made of 3.8oz cloth. The Laser 'no button' sail is made of 4.5oz cloth like the class legal one.
A sail made from 4.5oz cloth of a known brand seems appealing to me.

Good point, I should have read the specs more closely, the LP training sail also uses "longer lasting' 3.8 oz dacron (but the class compliant/legal LP sail uses "longer lasting' 4.5 oz sailcloth.....)

But any of these sails will be a great improvement over an ancient original sail. Differences between them will be relatively minor.

Yup

For PY racing best bet is keep the Laser for very windy days and buy a nicer boat for enjoyable sailing.

Definitely  Clap Or, better still buy a Blaze and enjoy the windy days too  Thumbs Up

Edited by Sam.Spoons - 10 Dec 19 at 12:21pm
Spice 346 "Flat Broke"
Blaze 671 "supersonic soap dish"
By The Lee View Drop Down
Posting king
Posting king

Post Options Post Options   Quote By The Lee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 19 at 7:15pm
Having used both the Rooster and no button laser sail this is my feeling is that although very cheap the rooster sail is definatly off the mark. The no button sail from LP is much better but the quality control is poor so the shape is very hit and miss depending on the sail.

Post Options Post Options   Quote Sam.Spoons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 19 at 10:56pm
TBF the Rooster is a competitor for the LP 'Training Sail' rather than the no button 'Class Compliant' version which is £130 cheaper than the 'with button' 'Class Legal' version and should be identical to it in every respect.

Edited by Sam.Spoons - 10 Dec 19 at 10:57pm
Spice 346 "Flat Broke"
Late starter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Late starter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 19 at 10:25am
Thanks for the feedback. I've got XD kit on the boat as my kids used to use it. Sounds like a I should look at a mk2 sail and not be too bothered about the replica bit given my laser open days are way in the past. I see that LP "non class legal" sails are coming up on ebay at very cheap prices, will look out for one of these or a replica from a known source like MSB or Rooster sails. 

Post Options Post Options   Quote Sam.Spoons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 19 at 11:37am
My pal has an MSB Blaze replica and it's very well made indeed (the proverbial concrete toilet TBH).
Spice 346 "Flat Broke"
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12