FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

The rise of the OK

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Fatboi View Drop Down
Posting king
Posting king

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote Fatboi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 19 at 9:02am
Quite common not to use kicker upwind. Like Kaz said, can be done in many boats. You would do this even in the RS100, RS200, Solo and Laser. 
Talking specifically to a boat with a traveler, you set this for how outboard you want the boom to be and then you can control the leech twist with the mainsheet as this will pull the boom down and alter the leech shape. Much easier to control with small sheet movement over changing kicker constantly for the breeze changes. Plus it makes the mast bend more uniformally, rather than pushing the gooseneck forwards and putting a big kink in the mast. 
As soon as you are getting overpowered and need to ease mainsheet, then you start kickering so the sail profile doesn't change as you ease the sheet.
I guess the responsiveness of the mast in an an OK (Like the Finn), means you just drop the traveler and rake back a bit on the mast. 

Edited by Fatboi - 27 Nov 19 at 9:03am
Rupert View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Post Options Post Options   Quote Rupert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 19 at 9:17am
In the Europe, and I assume the OK, mast rake was opposite to normal. A more upright mast means more bend before the boom hits the deck, so a more repowered sail.
Firefly 2324, Lightning 130, Puffin 229, Minisail 3446
A2Z View Drop Down
Far too distracted from work

Post Options Post Options   Quote A2Z Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 19 at 9:18am
The OK does look a nice boat, but in the UK what is the advantage over a Solo? Good international regattas, but for a club sailor?
iGRF View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote iGRF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 19 at 10:05am
Originally posted by KazRob

<p ="Msonormal">Hope that makes sense?

<p ="Msonormal"><o:p></o:p>

It does, thanks, hadn't spotted the traveller, so can Solo's be sailed in the same way?

Oh and has it a carbon mast?

Just heard Roger Tushingham has acquired a new Ovington, so maybe its for ex windsurfers waiting to die? (he's so much older than me )
L192444 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote L192444 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 19 at 10:58am
Originally posted by iGRF

Hmm.. do I smell Bandit?

Change the record ...

The OK is popular because it is one of the few true international classes that offer the opportunity to sail in international fleet all over the world ... that is an attractive option for some.

There is a Solo fleet in NED but not much beyond that as far as I know.

Edited by L192444 - 27 Nov 19 at 11:13am
KazRob View Drop Down
Posting king
Posting king

Post Options Post Options   Quote KazRob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 19 at 11:20am

Thereís no doubt the Solo and OK do both pretty serve the same market (adult singlehander racing), one locally in the UK and one more widely spread around the world. I did have a Solo at the same time as my first OK and the idea was to get better fleet racing up here in Scotland. Unfortunately I didnít get on with the Solo. It seemed really cramped at the back with the way the centreboard case extends far back in the boat especially with the kicker on. I also hated that coffee table centreboard capping and ended up getting badly bruised shins every time I sailed it. It also felt quite ídeadí compared to the OK. Not sure if it was the fully battened main or whatever but I found and still find the OK really engaging to sail. Thereís lots of subtleties to it and while I seem to go a tad better  every year itís really hard to say what Iím doing better. In short I just find the OK fits me better, the sailing style suits me better and it puts a smile on my face every time I sail it which is something the Solo never did for me. Plus Iíve always loved sailing at events with people from other counties (and not just Brits on tour to somewhere nice like Garda).

And to be clear that's not to knock the Solo in any way Ė it just didnít suit me and thereís room for both. If anybodyís interested the class does have a demo boat which is currently at Stokes Bay but can move around the country if anybody wants to borrow it.

OK 2139 & 2148
L192444 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote L192444 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 19 at 11:39am
Plus of course the OK has no stays so running gives loads more options.

KazRob View Drop Down
Posting king
Posting king

Post Options Post Options   Quote KazRob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 19 at 4:02pm

Yes they do have carbon rigs now and so much better for it I think. They are quite conservatively built and could no doubt be a lot lighter but they are absolutely bullet proof because of that which is a good thing for many. I understand the class didnít want to encourage the sort of arms race seen in the Finn and Europe Olympic campaigns outside dimensions are controlled with reasonable +/- tolerances, no ultra-high modulus carbon is allowed and the mast has weight and C of G limitations. 

Itís the same with the sails Ė still limited to Dacron as they wanted to avoid excessively expensive sails appearing (£1700 for a 3DL Solo sail I seem to remember), Dacron doesnít shrink like laminate sails do and they last much longer for most sailors.

OK 2139 & 2148
jeffers View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote jeffers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 19 at 4:39pm
Originally posted by KazRob

Yes they do have carbon rigs now and so much better for it I think. They are quite conservatively built and could no doubt be a lot lighter but they are absolutely bullet proof because of that which is a good thing for many. I understand the class didnít want to encourage the sort of arms race seen in the Finn and Europe Olympic campaigns outside dimensions are controlled with reasonable +/- tolerances, no ultra-high modulus carbon is allowed and the mast has weight and C of G limitations. 

Itís the same with the sails Ė still limited to Dacron as they wanted to avoid excessively expensive sails appearing (£1700 for a 3DL Solo sail I seem to remember), Dacron doesnít shrink like laminate sails do and they last much longer for most sailors.

I would beg to differ on that. I used to find Dacron sails would stretch after a couple of seasons use (if not much sooner for some classes). By contrast that class I sail now which has a nice laminate sail made by North the sails just keep going on and on. My original sail is still competitive after over 5 years of use with a club mate.
Paul
----------------------
D-Zero GBR 74
KazRob View Drop Down
Posting king
Posting king

Post Options Post Options   Quote KazRob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 19 at 5:07pm
We're probably talking about different cloths though. You're right that in the old days when F/A mast bends on rigs like the OK were much higher than they are now, sails made from stretchy 3.8oz 'finn cloth' would be noticably slower after a hard season (the original Laser sail was from very similar cloth and we all know how long they last). The newer carbon rigs have much less F/A curve and the cloth is much stiffer, especially for full radial cut sails. I have a North radial main that's seen 5 years of use and I'm still more than happy to use it at club level with little sign of being blown out. The full radial design no doubt helps as well
I wasn't in the OK class when they chose to stay with Dacron but speaking to some of those involved, including several sailmakers, the reasons above is what they gave. I've certainly had several laminate sails on similar boats where they shrunk alarmingly - probably 4"-6" on the luff over a season or two.
OK 2139 & 2148
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>