FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

The rise of the OK

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
sawman View Drop Down
Far too distracted from work

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote sawman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The rise of the OK
    Posted: 01 Dec 19 at 9:38pm
I notice there are a few older OKs advertised on facebook/ebay at present, how much effort and cost would be needed to make these reasonably competitive?
ColPrice2002 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote ColPrice2002 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 19 at 10:30pm
"thanks, hadn't spotted the traveller, so can Solo's be sailed in the same way?"

Basically, yes. The traveller doesn't need to be full width of the thwart on the Solo, but is adjustable (mine has control line each side, some have one continuous line that controls distance from centre).

As there is still the final block mounts on the plate case, it's not quite a simple system - sheet in hard and you tend to centre the boom.

Coli
iGRF View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Post Options Post Options   Quote iGRF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 19 at 10:44pm
I need to talk a bit more about sailing with a traveller.

Is it a sort of pre selected sheeting angle thing? Can it be used to sheet in and out sort of micro adjust or is its raison d'etre simply to replace the upwind functionality of the kicker on sails that don't like to be 'kickered' upwind?

And why is it no longer featured on modern designs?
Sam.Spoons View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Sam.Spoons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 19 at 11:25pm
On single sail boats you need the boom over the quarter (as opposed to centring the boom as you would on a two sail boat, which you obviously know). A traveller of some kind, allows you to set the boom angle independent of sheet/leech tension (to a point). In the Blaze we never use kicker upwind, the transom bridle allows the boom to be over the quarter and the sheet to control leech tension/twist, this wouldn't work on an OK with the boom needing to be on the deck upwind so the traveller simply allows the sail to be sheeted down without pulling it too far towards the centreline (as you said, a pre-selected sheeting angle). When I sailed an OK everybody had a centre mainsheet if the class allowed it these days the skiff style off the boom or Laser style hybrid systems are in favour but some of the old classes (Enterprise) have finally allowed centre mainsheets so a measure of their effectiveness might be gleaned from knowing what percentage of the top Ent helms use a centre mainsheet compared to aft mainsheet.

FWIW I have a centre mainsheet on the Spice and was going to stick with it on the Blaze as that was what was fitted when I bought it but I gave the off the boom system a try and was converted before the first tack. I don't think I would use the traveller to trim the sail, it seems to be an added complication that I can live without though it clearly works in some classes.

Edited by Sam.Spoons - 02 Dec 19 at 11:30pm
Spice 346 "Flat Broke"
Blaze 671 "supersonic soap dish"
KazRob View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote KazRob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 19 at 12:02pm
Originally posted by sawman

I notice there are a few older OKs advertised on facebook/ebay at present, how much effort and cost would be needed to make these reasonably competitive?

Depends what you regard as being reasonably competitive Smile. Older wooden boats, assuming they are not rotten or anything seem fairly easy to get up to speed, usually just needing a carbon rig which allows the rig to move forward slightly (carbon masts put less weight in the bow compared to metal masts) and changing the older swept back rudder to the newer less swept back design. Moving the rig forward and changing the rudder help reduce the weather helm a good bit.
Older polyester GRP boats will no doubt be a bit harder to get up to speed as more likely to have gone soft or gained weight compared to a wooden boat.
How much you spend on a carbon rig will depend on what age the mast is as they have developed since they were introduced as you'd expect.

To see what can be done have a look at https://www.okdinghy.co.uk/news/demo-boat/
The boat is from 1993 and after the refurbishment seems as fast as anything else when people have sailed it at open events

Edited by KazRob - 03 Dec 19 at 12:02pm
OK 2249
D-1 138
Gordon 1430 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Gordon 1430 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 19 at 12:57pm
Hi Kazrob
A credit to those generous people and the work done. As I found for the Phantom if you ask politely and don't expect the marine trad people want to help.

Gordon
Phantom 1430
iGRF View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote iGRF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 19 at 4:01pm
So getting back to the traveller, is there a system where the main can be set and cleated but effectively 'sheeted' using the traveller to assure the sail remains set but powered and depowered using the traveller?
Mark Aged 42 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote Mark Aged 42 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 19 at 4:13pm
I recall 505s and/or Fireballs used to do this back in the day. See Lawrie Smith/Andy Barker for details I guess.
ian.r.mcdonald View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote ian.r.mcdonald Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 19 at 5:09pm
Originally posted by Mark Aged 42

I recall 505s and/or Fireballs used to do this back in the day. See Lawrie Smith/Andy Barker for details I guess.

I remember an Aussie fireball in the 70s with the traveller from a yacht, when correctors are maxed, more weight was needed!
L123456 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote L123456 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 19 at 5:59pm
Originally posted by iGRF

So getting back to the traveller, is there a system where the main can be set and cleated but effectively 'sheeted' using the traveller to assure the sail remains set but powered and depowered using the traveller?

Yes; many classes do this ... it's quite and accepted way to trim your mainsail.

Tasar's are set up like this and this is much discussed in Frank Bethwaites book which is one of the best texts available for small boat speed ...
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>