FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Race training

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3456>
Author
eric_c View Drop Down
Far too distracted from work

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote eric_c Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Race training
    Posted: 17 Nov 19 at 7:20am
Originally posted by Sam.Spoons

I wish there was an ebook version. It's out of print and all used copies on Amazon ship from the US. If anybody in the UK has a spare copy available...........

Plenty of copies on ebay.

Another book I've found good is 'Winning in One Designs' by Dave Perry.
Oinks View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Oinks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 19 at 9:04am
"Another book I've found good is 'Winning in One Designs' by Dave Perry"

Love the intro bit where he is trying to explain the complexities of sailing to an American footballer.
Sam.Spoons View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Post Options Post Options   Quote Sam.Spoons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 19 at 9:56am
Originally posted by eric_c

Originally posted by Sam.Spoons

I wish there was an ebook version. It's out of print and all used copies on Amazon ship from the US. If anybody in the UK has a spare copy available...........

Plenty of copies on ebay.

Good spot eric_c thanks, bought the one example of the updated edition.
Spice 346 "Flat Broke"
Blaze 671 "supersonic soap dish"
ian.r.mcdonald View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote ian.r.mcdonald Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 19 at 10:03am
The piece about sailing with Elvstrom is wonderful. A snapshot on how the real superstars are still sailors, but in a slightly different way.
Oinks View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Oinks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 19 at 11:24am
"The piece about sailing with Elvstrom is wonderful. "

Anyone out there sailed with any proper rock stars? If so, what did you learn? I sailed a 707 for a season with some top 14 sailors sometime back now and what I learnt was my place in the overall (sailing) scheme of things!
Oatsandbeans View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Oatsandbeans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 19 at 12:43pm
I once sailed with the top 470 sailor in the country at an event in Kiel. On the way out to the start he passed me over a weight jacket and said “you will be needing this”. I had never worn weight before and this was 4 bottles. I was all over the place. This guy was fast off wind and he did it by using large course alterations to pick up waves and surf down them, and there was me frenetically in and out- adjusting my height continually , trying to pump when he shouted, with 10kg of water bottles on my chest. I have never had a tougher days sailing. I did however get better as the week progressed, and it an amazing feeling if I ever sailed without a weight jacket after that-so easy to move around! Funny though he never asked me to sail with him again-I wonder why?
By The Lee View Drop Down
Posting king
Posting king

Post Options Post Options   Quote By The Lee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 19 at 12:43pm
The role of a coach is to provide an unbiased perspective from outside the boat. It is very difficult to be truely objective when self coaching due to comformation bias.

That said self coaching is obviously very import because we can't expect to have a coach every time we go on the water.
davidyacht View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote davidyacht Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 19 at 3:40pm
Originally posted by Oatsandbeans

I once sailed with the top 470 sailor in the country at an event in Kiel. On the way out to the start he passed me over a weight jacket and said “you will be needing this”. I had never worn weight before and this was 4 bottles. I was all over the place. This guy was fast off wind and he did it by using large course alterations to pick up waves and surf down them, and there was me frenetically in and out- adjusting my height continually , trying to pump when he shouted, with 10kg of water bottles on my chest. I have never had a tougher days sailing. I did however get better as the week progressed, and it an amazing feeling if I ever sailed without a weight jacket after that-so easy to move around! Funny though he never asked me to sail with him again-I wonder why?

I guess that some things have improved ... I found that the secret of wearing bottles was to surreptitiously empty them when they got to be hard work ... mind you I was the helm, tended to wear them on the first beat then dump them.

Now those big old heavy jackets you took down to the water’s edge, they were something else and did not get much lighter through the race!

Happy days 
Happily living in the past
Oatsandbeans View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Oatsandbeans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 19 at 3:49pm
Yes it was a good day when they banned them.
RTFM View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote RTFM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 19 at 7:49am
Don't be tempted to buy the Eric Twiname’s 'Sail, Race and Win' book off eBay from a company called 'World of Books' who advertise this book for sale. Avoid them. Poor seller, took 10 days to get it - and then only after opening up an eBay case..
Nobby.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3456>