FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Arresting the Decline and Fall of our Sport.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 343536
Author
ian.r.mcdonald View Drop Down
Far too distracted from work

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote ian.r.mcdonald Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Arresting the Decline and Fall of our Sport.
    Posted: 28 Dec 19 at 9:24am
A choice between time with Darcey or "you lot" is not a difficult one!
Gordon 1430 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Gordon 1430 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec 19 at 10:46am
Sorry Ian cant understand why you want to spend time with a Scotland rugby winger? LOL
Gordon
Phantom 1430
NicolaJayne View Drop Down
Posting king
Posting king

Post Options Post Options   Quote NicolaJayne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec 19 at 11:29am
Originally posted by ian.r.mcdonald

lol... 

a quote  attributed to  any one of a none trivial numbers of straight guys  who take class 

" I get to spend my time with lots of pretty ladies in  lycra , sometimes 'having' to hold them or pick them up ... "
Sam.Spoons View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Post Options Post Options   Quote Sam.Spoons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec 19 at 6:22pm
Originally posted by NicolaJayne

lol... 

a quote  attributed to  any one of a none trivial numbers of straight guys  who take class 

" I get to spend my time with lots of pretty ladies in  lycra , sometimes 'having' to hold them or pick them up ... "

#1 son was a gigging tap/irish dancer for many years before retiring to join his mum in the family business, a ballet school.
Spice 346 "Flat Broke"
Blaze 671 "supersonic soap dish"
catmandoo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote catmandoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Dec 19 at 12:45pm
I was interested to see how the arrest meant of the decline in our sport was getting on , perhaps we are doomed ;) 
zeon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote zeon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Dec 19 at 3:27pm
Our sport will continue fine . It is not doomed but it will retrench and a lot  small clubs will go to the wall . I love my club to bits and wouldn’t want to sail anywhere else. But we have a membership of a lot less than 80, most of our regular sailors are aged between 55 and 75 and we end up doing about 10 duties in a year. We are getting new members,but most are still in this age group. The club is fine in the short to medium term but to think this situation can continue long term is blinkered.
But looking at the bigger picture even if the club closed there would be a plus side at other clubs with an influx of new sailors looking to sail and race regularly. I know as I have done this once already, when my first club closed , 6 of us regular sailors moved to my current club and got a warm and friendly welcome.( I do understand moving club is not as easy for everyone as it is for me as there are over 10 clubs with in a 35/40 minute drive from my house)
To think we can get number of people interested in sailing that we had in the 1960s is unrealistic but that doesn’t mean the sport is doomed. It just means it will be done in slightly less places. 

Edited by zeon - 31 Dec 19 at 3:28pm
423zero View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote 423zero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Dec 19 at 4:44pm
Zeon, Your club exactly mirrors mine, similar number of clubs within driving distance, don't think all sailing members would bother moving if my club closes, I think most will finish.
Robert

Post Options Post Options   Quote ian.r.mcdonald Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Dec 19 at 5:48pm
There is a growing number of people out on the circuit entering events as RYA members and not supporting any club other than in entry fees. At the same time, it's getting harder to get people to volunteer for club duties, and even in some cases get them to show up to do an allocated role.

Even " name and shame" doesnt change this.

Are there any incentives effective in getting this lot to do " their bit"?
KazRob View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote KazRob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Dec 19 at 5:54pm

Are there any incentives effective in getting this lot to do " their bit"?

They'll do their bit for the sport in due course. If they're keen enough on the sport to do lots of opens now, in time they'll probably settle down and become the solid 'old' members of some club somewhere and no doubt complain about things not being as good as the old days and not being able to hear the words in modern music any more. Circle of life and all that.

Edited by KazRob - 31 Dec 19 at 5:56pm
OK 2249
D-1 138

Post Options Post Options   Quote ian.r.mcdonald Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Dec 19 at 6:30pm
No, I think its older sailors just abandoning support for clubs rather than younger sailors finding their way.

Lots of argument to show the winter series circuits as a positive move, but add the summer open meeting circuit and championships and you end up with a chunk of good sailors not involved in supporting clubs directly.

My ears are still suffering from that Whitesnake gig in Plaistow!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 343536