New Posts New Posts RSS Feed: Arresting the Decline and Fall of our Sport.
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Arresting the Decline and Fall of our Sport.

 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 33343536>
Author
eric_c View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie


Joined: 21 Jan 18
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 55
Post Options Post Options   Quote eric_c Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 19 at 5:26pm
Originally posted by ian.r.mcdonald

While the kids are pushing to try and slow down climate change, make major changes to transport to assist this. The rest of us and our government at all levels are totally ignoring it.

The option of improving public transport, encouraging cycling etc is crushed in the rush to build more car parks.


Is this car park by any chance a park'n'ride on the edge of town?
How much dinghy park does a club need when their average turnout looks like about 5 boats?

I thought we had a lot of rival clubs within a pushbike ride, but some inland areas seem to share a finite number of racers among an awful lot of small clubs. But I guess Rovers will never merge with City either....
Back to Top
Sam.Spoons View Drop Down
Really should get out more
Really should get out more


Joined: 07 Mar 12
Location: Manchester UK
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 2847
Post Options Post Options   Quote Sam.Spoons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 19 at 5:42pm
Originally posted by eric_c

Originally posted by ian.r.mcdonald

While the kids are pushing to try and slow down climate change, make major changes to transport to assist this. The rest of us and our government at all levels are totally ignoring it.

The option of improving public transport, encouraging cycling etc is crushed in the rush to build more car parks.


Is this car park by any chance a park'n'ride on the edge of town?

No it's to increase public access to the reservoir and surrounding area.......
Spice 346 "Flat Broke"
Blaze 671 "supersonic soap dish"
Back to Top
Sussex Lad View Drop Down
Posting king
Posting king


Joined: 08 Jun 18
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 174
Post Options Post Options   Quote Sussex Lad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 19 at 8:47am
Sympathies to those in Ashfield. Petition signed.

Councils having to cut vital services are under increasing pressure to maximise income. A car park in the right place makes loads of money.
Back to Top
Sam.Spoons View Drop Down
Really should get out more
Really should get out more


Joined: 07 Mar 12
Location: Manchester UK
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 2847
Post Options Post Options   Quote Sam.Spoons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 19 at 11:01am
Originally posted by Sussex Lad

Sympathies to those in Ashfield. Petition signed.

Councils having to cut vital services are under increasing pressure to maximise income. A car park in the right place makes loads of money.

Especially if you employ the local clamping firm to help out  Dead
Spice 346 "Flat Broke"
Blaze 671 "supersonic soap dish"
Back to Top
Sussex Lad View Drop Down
Posting king
Posting king


Joined: 08 Jun 18
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 174
Post Options Post Options   Quote Sussex Lad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 19 at 12:24pm
Oh yes.

I had the clamps once, it don't half make you walk funny.  Wink
Back to Top
Sam.Spoons View Drop Down
Really should get out more
Really should get out more


Joined: 07 Mar 12
Location: Manchester UK
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 2847
Post Options Post Options   Quote Sam.Spoons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 19 at 1:35pm
"looks disapprovingly while sniggering behind hand"...
Spice 346 "Flat Broke"
Blaze 671 "supersonic soap dish"
Back to Top
getafix View Drop Down
Really should get out more
Really should get out more
Avatar

Joined: 28 Mar 06
Location: United Kingdom
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 2123
Post Options Post Options   Quote getafix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 19 at 1:43pm
Originally posted by Sussex Lad

Sympathies to those in Ashfield. Petition signed.

Councils having to cut vital services are under increasing pressure to maximise income. A car park in the right place makes loads of money.

only if you can't use your own council's planning department to change the land use and allow a big 'ol block of "luxury" appartments to be built, or are car parks more lucrative than yuppy flats in Brexit times?
Back to Top
tink View Drop Down
Really should get out more
Really should get out more


Joined: 23 Jan 16
Location: North Hants
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 551
Post Options Post Options   Quote tink Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 19 at 5:31pm
Originally posted by Sussex Lad

Oh yes.I had the clamps once, it don't half make you walk funny.  Wink

Stopped in a car park to get a pizza and got a ticket because the boat trailer was over the white line. The car park was for a retail centre and I was the only car in it
Tink
https://tinkboats.com

http://proasail.blogspot.com
Back to Top
Sheetpuller View Drop Down
Posting king
Posting king


Joined: 22 Feb 11
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 107
Post Options Post Options   Quote Sheetpuller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Dec 19 at 1:05am
I'm 35 pages late to this party and not inclined to read through all those preceding posts, but in his original iGRF is wondering what to do about the decline in our sport. I'd venture the opinion that there isn't a huge amount wrong with dinghy sailing; its our society that has changed, and has in large part left many participatory sports behind. Sailing is not alone.

The real problem is time. It has shrunk for most people during my lifetime and in inverse proportion to the demands on it. Dinghy sailing doesn't really exist outside of racing - that's what almost all classes are designed and built for - and that demands regular attendance at a specific location at a specific time. When I was young and stupid that was relatively easy to manage as there were many fewer things to do and time management for most was a predictive process. Now that I'm just stupid it seems that life moves so much faster with time demands from so many different directions that people's reactions are purely reactive; planning one's time is harder, demands much more discipline and even then one is much less successful. One has to be pretty single-minded to remain committed to one or two activities and that's a trait that seems to exist mostly in the older generations - and that at least in part explains the ageing membership of so many sports clubs of all descriptions.

I'm not arguing. I'm explaining why I'm right.

Merlin Rocket 3488 - 'Carrera'.

Back to Top
NicolaJayne View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie


Joined: 01 Mar 19
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 55
Post Options Post Options   Quote NicolaJayne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Dec 19 at 7:34pm
Originally posted by Sheetpuller

I'm 35 pages late to this party and not inclined to read through all those preceding posts, but in his original iGRF is wondering what to do about the decline in our sport. I'd venture the opinion that there isn't a huge amount wrong with dinghy sailing; its our society that has changed, and has in large part left many participatory sports behind. Sailing is not alone.

The real problem is time. It has shrunk for most people during my lifetime and in inverse proportion to the demands on it. Dinghy sailing doesn't really exist outside of racing - that's what almost all classes are designed and built for - and that demands regular attendance at a specific location at a specific time. When I was young and stupid that was relatively easy to manage as there were many fewer things to do and time management for most was a predictive process. Now that I'm just stupid it seems that life moves so much faster with time demands from so many different directions that people's reactions are purely reactive; planning one's time is harder, demands much more discipline and even then one is much less successful. One has to be pretty single-minded to remain committed to one or two activities and that's a trait that seems to exist mostly in the older generations - and that at least in part explains the ageing membership of so many sports clubs of all descriptions.



Society has changed,  what is on offer has changed ... 

other activities  are popular  at present  (and some  of those look like  they may stick as popular ...  ballet for adults is an interesting example ) 
Back to Top
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 33343536>

Forum Jump Forum Permissions View Drop Down

Bulletin Board Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 9.665y
Copyright ©2001-2010 Web Wiz
Change your personal settings, or read our privacy policy