FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Arresting the Decline and Fall of our Sport.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2930313233 36>
Author
tink View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote tink Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Arresting the Decline and Fall of our Sport.
    Posted: 29 Nov 19 at 12:03pm
I don’t think you spend much time with Sailing kids. There are the odd forced ones but many kids drive their participation and a good percentage don’t have Sailing parents. Train an adult and you may get ten years of participation, train a kid you may get fifty years.
Tink
https://tinkboats.com

http://proasail.blogspot.com
Oli View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Oli Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 19 at 1:00pm
the real issue is, perhaps, that in one way or another you are all correct in your assertions.
423zero View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote 423zero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 19 at 1:21pm
We all have a part to play, PY racing, class racing, clubs, coaches, RYA can only do so much, their inspired to try and help for clubs, probably only thing officialdom can do for the moment, use this for base and build, but moderation in everything we do.
A lot of parents wary of amateur led organisations, let alone professional organisations like the Catholic church etc, football being the latest.
Robert
423zero View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote 423zero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 19 at 6:04pm
Robert
NicolaJayne View Drop Down
Posting king
Posting king

Post Options Post Options   Quote NicolaJayne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 19 at 7:17pm
Originally posted by tink

I don’t think you spend much time with Sailing kids. There are the odd forced ones but many kids drive their participation and a good percentage don’t have Sailing parents. Train an adult and you may get ten years of participation, train a kid you may get fifty years.

same can be said for a lot of things

Interesting assertion re training adults  unless you are going after the 'Silver Surfer/ Silver Swan  '  demographic there ...   getting people in their 30s/40s/50s  means long terminput ... 

iGRF View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote iGRF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 19 at 9:00pm

Well. there you'd be wrong.

Like evryone, back in the day, I fell into the whole train kids belief system, not to mention having three or four of my own, and all my pals, none, absolutely none of whom have stuck, some are even now gracing the f'ing golf courses and have kids of their own, I go back a long way racing kids, that have vanished, never to return.

If I look around, most of the folk I race against, those that aint pre-historic, are some who have somehow fallen into the habit later in life, why else would I have such an opinion?

Look at all the 'kids' that once populated this forum.. gone.

Edited by iGRF - 29 Nov 19 at 9:02pm
tink View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote tink Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 19 at 9:47pm
iGRF
of my close peer group that I leant to sail with (and I am still in contact with) 50% still sail. None where we initially learned though.  I have got older adults through there level 2 and some they still sail but only casualty. My old club set up novice race training to get these guys to start a race. Kids with families will naturally progress to racing where as many adults will happily potter and eventually fade away.

I have heard many tails of older sailors go on about the waste of time that teaching kids is because they stop, move away.... etc etc.

I would fall into that category, wasn’t at the local club but sailing in OZ, then Uni and building a career (in Britain’s worst county - without a sailing club suitable for an IC) but then came back and sailed regularly 25 years just not where I learnt. Training kids is a long term investment where the benefits aren’t seen by the club other than in thirty years an empty nester turning up and saying ‘I sailed as a kid and........’

Anyone that walks through the dingy park regardless of age should be welcomed and helped to get on the water by whatever means that takes. 

The best model I have seen is novice racing in the morning so try sailing could be arranged without a competitive edge and then serious racing in the afternoon. The try sailing can be pre arranged and a volunteer asked to come to club a bit earlier to run the try sail.

Tink
https://tinkboats.com

http://proasail.blogspot.com
Rupert View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Rupert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 19 at 10:12pm
Second to last paragraph, Tink - spot on.
Firefly 2324, Puffin 229, Minisail 3446 Mirror 70686
Sam.Spoons View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Sam.Spoons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 19 at 10:46pm
+1  Thumbs Up

Training kids is a long term investment where the benefits aren’t seen by the club other than in thirty years an empty nester turning up and saying ‘I sailed as a kid and........’

I learned to sail at the club I'm currently a member, I rejoined after 50 years away. The first 12 years after 'retiring' from serious sailing I was pursuing other activities though I did still sail occasionally in my dad's Laser. My reintroduction to serious sailing was windsurfing and I raced Div1 and Raceboards for 25+ years before returning to dinghies. Three years ago I rejoined my childhood club and am racing there as often as a busy retirement ( Wink) will allow.
Spice 346 "Flat Broke"
Blaze 671 "supersonic soap dish"
iGRF View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote iGRF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 19 at 10:55pm
Originally posted by Rupert

Second to last paragraph, Tink - spot on.

Well I agree with that.

Just need to get more bodies to walk that way.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2930313233 36>