FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Laser Club Edition.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 9>
Author
Steve Middleton View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote Steve Middleton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Laser Club Edition.
    Posted: 07 Nov 19 at 10:57pm
So here we are...sailing anarchy! Driven by the bottom line. No regard for the "health" of dinghy racing.
zeon View Drop Down
Far too distracted from work

Post Options Post Options   Quote zeon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 19 at 10:19am
I know I was dismissive of this forum and this thread earlier . But to compare it to SA is inaccurate and to be honest a little silly. This place may be many things but no way does it have the bile and the amount of nastiness that SA does . And we have a lot less trolls 😀
Sam.Spoons View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Post Options Post Options   Quote Sam.Spoons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 19 at 10:24am
LPE, PSA, PSJ etc have no interest in the health of the sport beyond where it might impact on profits.

Small volume manufacturers like Hartleys and RS are run by enthusiasts who actually sail the boats and care about dinghy sailing. This is clearly not the case with Laser.
Spice 346 "Flat Broke"
Blaze 671 "supersonic soap dish"
ian.r.mcdonald View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote ian.r.mcdonald Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 19 at 10:30am
I agree completely. Mark Hartley has been at Blithfield recently introducing his lad to sailing ( if 20 kts in a Wayfarer can be an intro!)

Edited by ian.r.mcdonald - 08 Nov 19 at 10:32am
turnturtle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote turnturtle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 19 at 10:39am
So a UK builder employing UK boat builders gets fed up with all the nonsense, the politics and in-fighting of cross continent class warfare, and decides y'know what, we're just going to offer our ACTUAL customers a better deal.... yet the forum is full of whinging and politicising the matter.

They've just made one of the most popular club racing boats in the history of dinghy sailing cheaper than a decent E-Mountain Bike....  and marketing clearly at grass roots club sailors, sans bullsh*t... they even offer a finance package making a new boat accessible for more people.

Way to go Laser.... and this is coming from someone who wouldn't have peeved on them if the factory was burning not so long ago.
JimC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote JimC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 19 at 10:51am
Personally I have a lot more problems with this place than SA. One difference is that on SA abusive trolls tend to be called out.
JimC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote JimC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 19 at 11:02am
Originally posted by turnturtle

So a UK builder employing UK boat builders

Are you sure that's what they are? Its difficult to be sure of the complications, but if I understand correctly they are now an American builder building boats in Portugal.

Edited by JimC - 08 Nov 19 at 11:03am
ian.r.mcdonald View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote ian.r.mcdonald Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 19 at 11:28am
I am sure that most on this forum understand the new offer. But it would be useful to learn exactly the implications of the existing Laser being sold by them as a "racing" boat and the Club as a "sailing" boat.

Will this cause problems for clubs wishing to hold Laser racing events?
zeon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote zeon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 19 at 11:30am
Originally posted by JimC

Originally posted by turnturtle

So a UK builder employing UK boat builders

Are you sure that's what they are? Its difficult to be sure of the complications, but if I understand correctly they are now an American builder building boats in Portugal.

That’s the way I see it too with one difference, an American builder building none class legal boats in Portugal  LOL
Sam.Spoons View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Sam.Spoons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 19 at 11:48am
From a recent 'Sail World' article :-

"The UK Laser Association notes that the Laser Club is a training boat and may not be eligible to race in events sanctioned by UKLA, however it may be a good option for sailing schools and resorts within LP's territory."

my italics
Spice 346 "Flat Broke"
Blaze 671 "supersonic soap dish"
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 9>