FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Aero 7

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
H2 View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote H2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Aero 7
    Posted: 29 Oct 19 at 9:24am
Feels like the Aero fleet is starting to focus mostly on the Aero 7 as the option that most people race. The recent inlands had a small number of 5 and 9 rigs with the majority racing the 7 rig.

Whenever I see the Aero's race in large handicap fleets it does feel that there is little difference in speed over the water for the 7 and 9 rig or certainly less than would justify the PY offset so if you sail an Aero its better to pick the 7 rig as your default as it benefits from the largest fleets and the best compromise on handicap is my impression, but would be good to get views of those from the Aero fleet. Thanks
H2 #115 (sold)
H2 145
OK 2082
ian.r.mcdonald View Drop Down
Far too distracted from work

Post Options Post Options   Quote ian.r.mcdonald Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 19 at 10:18am
Having three rigs sounds like a great marketing tool but listen to some of the discussions at club level when Lasers swap from radial to full and back again.

One rig and one fleet has huge advantages.

Buy a Solo and race everyone!
H2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote H2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 19 at 10:39am
Hi Ian - I did consider a Solo a few years back but it was not for me, did not suit the way I like to sail and ultimately was not a boat that made my heart beat faster. Its great that we have a choice of boats and I am delighted that you love the Solo - just not for me!
H2 #115 (sold)
H2 145
OK 2082
rb_stretch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote rb_stretch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 19 at 1:42pm
The number of 9s really depends on the wind - more wind, less 9s. Looking at the results one of our club sailors always sails a 9, but was on a 7 at the inlands, which suggests it was windy. Both sails have their sweet spots on handicap, so don't think one is better than the other (I own both).
Gordon 1430 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Gordon 1430 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 19 at 1:43pm
We have a few at Lee and I think the benefit I see used most  often of the 3 rigs is when people change down when its to windy for them to cope with either the 9 or 7 depending upon there size/ choice originally. For  some I think it will give them more confidence in the long run in windy weather. 
Gordon
Phantom 1430
zeon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote zeon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 19 at 3:04pm
We only have one aero at our club. He has the 7 and the 9 rig. He tends to use the 7 for most of the Sunday series and the 9 is used mostly for Wednesday evenings.

dkr1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote dkr1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 19 at 5:21pm
The Aero 9 is certainly significantly faster over the water than the 7 in the right hands except when it gets really windy. 

On handicap, the 9 sailors tend to win at our club, but then they also win when they drop down to sailing 7's so its probably just they they are better. 
Sam.Spoons View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Sam.Spoons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 19 at 5:37pm
Originally posted by dkr1

The Aero 9 is certainly significantly faster over the water than the 7 in the right hands except when it gets really windy.

On handicap, the 9 sailors tend to win at our club, but then they also win when they drop down to sailing 7's so its probably just they they are better. 

I think it's probably just that  Big smile

Spice 346 "Flat Broke"
Blaze 671 "supersonic soap dish"
H2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote H2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 19 at 8:58am
I guess its always hard to tell for sure but if I make the assumption that the people that show up at Great Lakes events, POSH, other large handicap events "tend" to be better than average sailors because it takes a certain commitment to head to Draycote, Grafham etc in the middle of Winter then I am always surprised at how the Aero's finish on the water with the 7's and 9's very close to each other accross a range of conditions.

I guess my point is that I have a sense that people are gravitating toward the 7 as default not just because its the mid sized rig but because its as competitive as the 9 in most conditions.
H2 #115 (sold)
H2 145
OK 2082
jeffers View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote jeffers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 19 at 9:01am
Speaking to the Aero sailors I know they all say you need 2 rigs either 5/7 or 7/9 (personally I prefer 7 of 9 but thats something completely different....). A guy at our club had a 7 and has gone out and bought a 9.

Or you could just buy a D-Zero instead and not need a second rig of course.
Paul
----------------------
D-Zero GBR 74
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>