FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

So, just how important is a Boats PY yardstick?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789 34>
Author
davidyacht View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote davidyacht Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 19 at 5:22pm
Originally posted by H2

Originally posted by A2Z

Originally posted by H2

With regard the use of fully batterned mains on singlehanders - I do agree that these are a fad and personally I believe that a sail with a top battern or two that are full with the rest of the sail soft is the best compromise, especially for lighter winds and shifty lakes!

So the Solo is a fad unsuited to lake racing? Hmmm.

Umm, that is not what I said. I do think the Solo would be nicer to sail with the lower part of the sail soft rather than fully battened though. Just a personal opinion. Clearly the Solo has done amazingly well and lots of people sail them so they can sail against all the others that sail them...but as mentioned on other posts that does not mean its a boat without fault!

I find the Solo fully battened sail to be surprisingly responsive in the light and fluky stuff ... the battens never stick through the tack and the front of the sail is easy to read; not as much of a PIA as a soft sail with a sticking top batten.
Happily living in the past
Sam.Spoons View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Sam.Spoons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 19 at 5:29pm
I have a FB main on the Spice, works fine but I'd still prefer semi-soft, owned a 'nova for a season but hardly sailed it as I really didn't get on with the rig, hard to read and feel. FB should be more efficient than semi but they don't suit me. OTOH I sailed Raceboards with FB sails for years and absolutely loved them.

Edited by Sam.Spoons - 25 Oct 19 at 9:37am
Spice 346 "Flat Broke"
Blaze 671 "supersonic soap dish"
A2Z View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote A2Z Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 19 at 6:13pm
Originally posted by davidyacht

I find the Solo fully battened sail to be surprisingly responsive in the light and fluky stuff ... the battens never stick through the tack and the front of the sail is easy to read; not as much of a PIA as a soft sail with a sticking top batten.

Me too.
There is much, much more to a good rig than whether it is fully battened or not. No one would ever claim the Topper skiff rigs were good, but the Solo betrays the lie that they are necessarily hard to read and a pain to tack.
ian.r.mcdonald View Drop Down
Far too distracted from work
Far too distracted from work

Post Options Post Options   Quote ian.r.mcdonald Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 19 at 7:04pm
There is little faster than a Solo in 2 knots when multiple shifts (!) require lots of tacks!
Rupert View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Rupert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 19 at 7:19pm
I'll take a British Moth or Firefly, but yes, it's pretty good.
Firefly 2324, Lightning 130, Puffin 229, Minisail 3446 Mirror 70686
Sam.Spoons View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Sam.Spoons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 19 at 9:42am
Originally posted by A2Z

There is much, much more to a good rig than whether it is fully battened or not. No one would ever claim the Topper skiff rigs were good, but the Solo betrays the lie that they are necessarily hard to read and a pain to tack.

Yes, definitely but FB has certain characteristics that are 'built in' like the inability to feather the sail and switch off the power. 

I know the Spice rig is only adequate, The square top ISO main I use is better but my Demon Design VG5 Raceboard sail is utterly wonderful so I know it can be done.
Spice 346 "Flat Broke"
Blaze 671 "supersonic soap dish"
A2Z View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote A2Z Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 19 at 9:46am
I don’t know.  The Solo sail is much more controllable than a Laser sail, across the whole wind range. 
JimC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote JimC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 19 at 9:49am
Originally posted by Sam.Spoons

FB has certain characteristics that are 'built in' like the inability to feather the sail and switch off the power.

Simply not true.
Rupert View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Rupert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 19 at 12:42pm
Originally posted by JimC

Originally posted by Sam.Spoons

FB has certain characteristics that are 'built in' like the inability to feather the sail and switch off the power.

Simply not true.

If you are lying to, they will power up with windshifts more than a soft sail does. I find the soft front edge of a Europe sail, say, much easier to read than a fully battened one, specially if made from stiff mylar.

This is one aspect of a sail. The fully battened rig has many advantages, too.
Firefly 2324, Lightning 130, Puffin 229, Minisail 3446 Mirror 70686
davidyacht View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote davidyacht Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 19 at 3:41pm
The joy of the Solo sail is that market forces, i.e. completion between North, HD, P&B and Hyde and development over 70 years, has created a durable product and once you have set up the mast as per the tuning guides, simple adjustments of the outhaul/inhaul, kicker and Cunningham give you control across the wind range.  Something that OEM classes struggle to do ... because there is insufficient margin to hit price points.
Happily living in the past
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789 34>