FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

So, just how important is a Boats PY yardstick?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2425262728 34>
Author
iGRF View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote iGRF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: So, just how important is a Boats PY yardstick?
    Posted: 04 Nov 19 at 4:24pm
Originally posted by 423zero

Dolphins shed skin cells when travelling fast.

I shed brain cells posting here.. I was a genius when I first came here.. now look at me.
423zero View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote 423zero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 19 at 4:37pm
A lot of creative geniuses were misunderstood.
Robert
Sam.Spoons View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Sam.Spoons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 19 at 5:00pm
Sorry, I don't understand?  Embarrassed

Edited by Sam.Spoons - 04 Nov 19 at 5:01pm
Spice 346 "Flat Broke"
Blaze 671 "supersonic soap dish"
423zero View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote 423zero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 19 at 5:12pm
Look at the problems inventor of submarine had Admiralty tried there best to convince him they had plenty of ships that could sink
Robert
fab100 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote fab100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 19 at 6:59pm
Originally posted by sargesail

I’m now worried that this thread will descend into another of the ‘experience over science’ moments - the bubbles in the foam affect displacement....anyone remember that?

Yes. And the "greater the skin thickness the wider/longer the (one-design) boat" theory.

Both funnier than anything they allow on the telly these days
tink View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote tink Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 19 at 7:09pm
Originally posted by iGRF

Originally posted by 423zero

Dolphins shed skin cells when travelling fast.

I shed brain cells posting here.. I was a genius when I first came here.. now look at me.

Your not alone:

there was guy that got a university grant and wrote a paper saying that black moths are faster, he proved something like a boat length a mile. Black absorbs more heat and there is less aero drag from the air flowing over a hot body. (He might have been a genius,  convincing someone to pay him to sail everyday)

Somewhere (think this video) Paul Goodison talks about changing the roughness of foils in different temperatures of sea water 

I had a book from the 70 / 80s with the top tip always buying a white boat because the white pigment is lighter than colours, especially black- unless it is a moth of course.

Tink
https://tinkboats.com

http://proasail.blogspot.com
423zero View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote 423zero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 19 at 7:43pm
Tink, everyone knows, RED boats are fast boats.
Robert
Oatsandbeans View Drop Down
Far too distracted from work

Post Options Post Options   Quote Oatsandbeans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 19 at 8:20pm
The thing is that white pigment is not lighter than other colours.White gel coat is loaded with a lots of titanium dioxide which is heavy (sg 4.2) where as carbon’s sg is 1.8-2.0, and you don’t need much carbon to get it black ( surprisingly you also throw in a bit of white to get opacity) so another urban myth put to rest.
CT249 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote CT249 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 19 at 9:39pm
Originally posted by Rupert

Surely IMS wasn't really interested in fresh water calculations?

The Great Lakes has a huge offshore racing scene, with races of 200-500 miles that get up to 300+ starters and IMS was the main rating rule for some time. The IMS system was largely funded by Pat Haggerty, who based his sailing on the Great Lakes. 

The IMS and IOR rules required measurers to specify whether the boat was measured on salt or fresh water.  The fact that they went to that sort of length and still couldn't find a magic accurate rating rule shows how unlikely it is that a really accurating dinghy rule could be developed.
Rupert View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Rupert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 19 at 10:41pm
Thank you Chris - something new every day!
Firefly 2324, Puffin 229, Minisail 3446 Mirror 70686
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2425262728 34>