New Posts New Posts RSS Feed: Dinghies in 2035
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Dinghies in 2035

 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 6>
Author
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 19 at 1:00pm
I think we've hit the bottom of the decline. I do expect some consolidation over the next 10 years of clubs, but not really classes. 

Format of racing
I think there might be growth in adventure races. Like a rally type thing. Thinking of the archipelago race. I think as handheld nav gets better as well as personal safety equipment plus sailing apparel it's more attainable. 

I think TV shortened people attention span. But video games actually expands it. But the back to nature escapism is something people look for. Like the point to point cycling races. 

Boats
Much the same. I think a few classes may go through minor changes in usability. But otherwise I don't see much difference. I do wonder how long the move toward single handers will continue for. To me, it seems under 25s are still more attracted to double handers. 

Kit
Some fancy stuff around. Like aero gels which have insane insulating properties. Already being used in some ski jacket pockets to stop your mobile draining. But they can also be made to be hugely water repellent... just give these videos a watch.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AeJ9q45PfD0

Tech
I hope to see tech like the TruSail stuff making itself more affordable. I don't want to see it used in races but for training and just messing about I would love it and looking at how Strava and power meters gave a huge boost to cycling, i think the same could be said for TruSail and the tracking app Simon Hiscocks was promoting at the boat show. 


Back to Top
turnturtle View Drop Down
Really should get out more
Really should get out more


Joined: 05 Dec 14
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 2159
Post Options Post Options   Quote turnturtle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 19 at 1:23pm
I don't think it's at the bottom yet.... sorry but there just aren't enough active lifelong sailors at parental age standing up to the inevitable push back from their kids who decide it's just not for them. I don't suggest today's kids are 'soft', they just want broader life experiences and have more engaging virtual distractions than we did- even by 8 years old.

That's why so many folks have a break during key parenting years - dinghy sailing just doesn't fit with family life unless you've got the buy-in from the family.

Most of us got into sailing through our parents - something we are now no longer repeating the cycle. (I'd guess less than 25% of my 'sailing mates' have converted their own kids... a good chunk of us don't even sail ourselves right now either.)  Unless there's a seismic change in focus from the RYA from performance spiralling to grass roots participation, the piecemeal amateur marketing by volunteer club publicity officers is just pissing in the wind. 


Back to Top
turnturtle View Drop Down
Really should get out more
Really should get out more


Joined: 05 Dec 14
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 2159
Post Options Post Options   Quote turnturtle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 19 at 1:38pm
and btw- I think your other points are spot on- especially the racing format.

I also think there will be more social sailing sessions - which is essentially 'handicap racing' - the results, and certainly how seriously the group take them, is rather optional and redundant to the concept of fun on the water. 
Back to Top
Gfinch View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie
Avatar

Joined: 09 Nov 09
Location: United Kingdom
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 43
Post Options Post Options   Quote Gfinch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 19 at 8:30pm
Maybe we'll all have boats that you can change the hull shape of, on the go.

I present you the latest National 12 - 

3513 - National 12
136069 - Laser
32541 - Mirror
Back to Top
DiscoBall View Drop Down
Far too distracted from work
Far too distracted from work


Joined: 03 Jan 05
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 259
Post Options Post Options   Quote DiscoBall Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 19 at 1:07am
Maybe it's' this  Confused:

http://www.courseaularge.com/decathlon-lance-deriveur-gonflable-tribord-5s.html

Then again, by the time you add in the cost and setting up the mast & foils it probably looks far too overcomplicated compared to a SUP and unlikely to have a fraction of the longevity of a conventionally built boat. 

Edited by DiscoBall - 03 Oct 19 at 1:11am
Back to Top
NicolaJayne View Drop Down
Newbie
Newbie


Joined: 01 Mar 19
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 19
Post Options Post Options   Quote NicolaJayne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 19 at 9:21pm
Originally posted by DiscoBall

Maybe it's' this  Confused:

http://www.courseaularge.com/decathlon-lance-deriveur-gonflable-tribord-5s.html

Then again, by the time you add in the cost and setting up the mast & foils it probably looks far too overcomplicated compared to a SUP and unlikely to have a fraction of the longevity of a conventionally built boat. 


and agruably the  Catapult  or  the Tinkers  did the boat you can pack away into a bag  better 
Back to Top
Sam.Spoons View Drop Down
Really should get out more
Really should get out more


Joined: 07 Mar 12
Location: Manchester UK
Online Status: Online
Posts: 2455
Post Options Post Options   Quote Sam.Spoons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 19 at 9:23pm
The Catapult looked as if it might sail ok (ish) but the Tinkers must be pedestrian at best and I can't see the Decathlon jobbie being any better.

Edited by Sam.Spoons - 03 Oct 19 at 9:23pm
Spice 346 "Flat Broke"
Blaze 671 "supersonic soap dish"
Back to Top
Paramedic View Drop Down
Really should get out more
Really should get out more


Joined: 27 Jan 06
Location: United Kingdom
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 603
Post Options Post Options   Quote Paramedic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 19 at 6:09am
Originally posted by turnturtle

That's why so many folks have a break during key parenting years - dinghy sailing just doesn't fit with family life unless you've got the buy-in from the family.


Or the family do buy, in the kids get interested (which is great), then the RYA take an interest and you won't see the parents for 5-10 years.

That scenario does more damage to clubs than people realise because it often takes out the most committed and active members.
Back to Top
Sussex Lad View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie


Joined: 08 Jun 18
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 82
Post Options Post Options   Quote Sussex Lad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 19 at 2:43pm
Originally posted by turnturtle

I don't think it's at the bottom yet.... sorry but there just aren't enough active lifelong sailors at parental age standing up to the inevitable push back from their kids who decide it's just not for them. I don't suggest today's kids are 'soft', they just want broader life experiences and have more engaging virtual distractions than we did- even by 8 years old.

That's why so many folks have a break during key parenting years - dinghy sailing just doesn't fit with family life unless you've got the buy-in from the family.

Most of us got into sailing through our parents - something we are now no longer repeating the cycle. (I'd guess less than 25% of my 'sailing mates' have converted their own kids... a good chunk of us don't even sail ourselves right now either.)  Unless there's a seismic change in focus from the RYA from performance spiralling to grass roots participation, the piecemeal amateur marketing by volunteer club publicity officers is just pissing in the wind. 




There are a few newbies coming into the sport, some as adults through the 1&2 courses. A few of them have kids that then get hooked.....but....

....they don't have the experience that's necessary for practicing club related skills. Power boating, course laying, Race officering, committee work and the like. Generally speaking the younger generations are less likely to volunteer with the same commitment. Outlooks have changed along with life styles. Altruism, the desire to help out by volunteering is in serious decline for one reason or another. Whatever your political leanings, the world outside of sailing is taking it's toll. Although hobbies are a great way to forget the stress of life, the stress of life also reduces folks desire to play. 

The commitment and skills (administrative and practical) needed to run clubs are disappearing faster than the number of participants.


edit             BTW, I hope boats are a bit lighter in 2035, we're not getting any younger you know.  Wink                   


Edited by Sussex Lad - 04 Oct 19 at 2:50pm
Back to Top
ian.r.mcdonald View Drop Down
Far too distracted from work
Far too distracted from work


Joined: 24 Feb 06
Location: United Kingdom
Online Status: Online
Posts: 291
Post Options Post Options   Quote ian.r.mcdonald Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 19 at 3:25pm
Clubs providing boats for members use after training seems like a good idea to encourage membership.

In the short term it works, but then the easy entry also allow easy exit.

A couple of grotty weather days, the lure of other activities and no boat to sell and so many disappear.

The process of deciding which boat to buy, some interaction and advice from the fleet at the club might discourage some. But those that follow through are more likely to stay.
Back to Top
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 6>

Forum Jump Forum Permissions View Drop Down

Bulletin Board Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 9.665y
Copyright ©2001-2010 Web Wiz
Change your personal settings, or read our privacy policy