FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Dinghies in 2035

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3456>
Author
tink View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote tink Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Dinghies in 2035
    Posted: 06 Oct 19 at 7:28am
CVDRA must be becoming more visible and giving the impression of growth sorry, sad
Tink
https://tinkboats.com

http://proasail.blogspot.com
Rupert View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Rupert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 19 at 8:06am
Cvrda (classic and vintage racing dinghy association) is pretty stable on numbers. Basically, it is there, if people want to come and play, but we aren't claiming to be the RYA for old boats - if someone wants to set up an organisation for 80s and 90s designed bangers, I'd be sorely tempted to buy a Buzz. Pat J can illuminate all on the exact expansion passed at the last AGM, where specific classes designed after 65, but fitting the ethos of the association will be welcomed.
Most of what the cvrda is about online is chatter about boats and how to mend them. A wealth of knowledge saved on the main site and lots of questions answered on Facebook.
Firefly 2324, Puffin 229, Minisail 3446 Mirror 70686
ian.r.mcdonald View Drop Down
Far too distracted from work

Post Options Post Options   Quote ian.r.mcdonald Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 19 at 2:40pm
Originally posted by Rupert

Cvrda (classic and vintage racing dinghy association) is pretty stable on numbers. Basically, it is there, if people want to come and play, but we aren't claiming to be the RYA for old boats - if someone wants to set up an organisation for 80s and 90s designed bangers, I'd be sorely tempted to buy a Buzz. Pat J can illuminate all on the exact expansion passed at the last AGM, where specific classes designed after 65, but fitting the ethos of the association will be welcomed.
Most of what the cvrda is about online is chatter about boats and how to mend them. A wealth of knowledge saved on the main site and lots of questions answered on Facebook.

I have an older Osprey and Solo. It was the fact that the build date to be allowed in did not move with the advance of time. But if the Cvdra numbers are fine, I can understand not changing
tink View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote tink Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 19 at 6:35pm
Originally posted by Rupert

You make an interesting point there, dinghy parks are full of ‘80s and 90s designed bangers’ interesting to understand why they languish and if at a club level favoured handicap system would be enough to bring them back to life. 
Tink
https://tinkboats.com

http://proasail.blogspot.com
423zero View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote 423zero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 19 at 7:11pm
You don't need to own an old or classic boat to join cvrda, just being interested is enough.
Occasionally Lasers and foilers are discussed.
Robert
Rupert View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Rupert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 19 at 7:10am
2 reasons build date didn't move as quickly as real date. 1, construction changes in the 90s are still current today, and 2, we are a bunch of old codgers who can't believe so much time has passed...
Firefly 2324, Puffin 229, Minisail 3446 Mirror 70686
Paramedic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Paramedic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 19 at 7:14am
If the numbers of new builds goes down is an inevitable conclusion that more people will be sailing older boats! I would not be surprised to see more active and competitive racing in classic fleets in the immediate term. I think it depends on what next brings. Word on the street is that 2019 is not a big year for new boats.
ian.r.mcdonald View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote ian.r.mcdonald Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 19 at 7:32pm
Originally posted by Paramedic

If the numbers of new builds goes down is an inevitable conclusion that more people will be sailing older boats! I would not be surprised to see more active and competitive racing in classic fleets in the immediate term. I think it depends on what next brings. Word on the street is that 2019 is not a big year for new boats.

Good advice, think I will get my wooden Solo painted and ready . Nearly as fast as the plastic jobs and look 500% nicer. And a great excuse if you get beaten by modern stuff!
patj View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote patj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 19 at 12:32pm

At the recent AGM the Classic and Vintage Racing Dinghy Association voted to extend eligibility to classes designed before 1965 with boats built before 1990. This allows many more classic dinghies and catamarans to join the fun.
Also the Lost classes section (for classes which do not have a class association) is now extended to classes designed before 1990.

So if you have a classic dinghy such as a Merlin Rocket, Intenational Moth, National 12, Albacore, Solo, Enterprise, OK, GP14, Finn, Harrier, Osprey, Pisces, ToY or any other eligible class, please come and join us at an event. You don't have to be a member to participate and it's about getting the old boats out on the water with others of a similar age and we welcome beautiful wood, tatty fibreglass and all standards in between. To make things fairer we use a handicap system based on the 1965 PY system and the age of the boat.
There are also several specifically invited classes designed before 1975 for which boats built before 1990 are invited to join in. These are the Javelin, Streaker, Lark, Contender (aluminium rig only), Devon Yawl, Maraurder, Miracle and Phantom (aluminium rig only) and several catamarans including Hobie 14, Prindle 18 and Unicorn.

For fuller details please see the web site at http://www.cvrda.org or enquire on our FaceBook page https://www.facebook.com/groups/cvrda or on our free to join forum at http://www.cvrda.org/community where much knowledge on the care and maintenance of boats is shared.

Actually I was holding off publicising this until the quieter time of year when it would be less lost in event publicity and writeups but seems like now's the time. 

Edited by patj - 09 Oct 19 at 12:33pm
Laurencet View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Laurencet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 19 at 10:34pm
Sailing a 700, I quite like the idea of having a few less things to control. I would love to have a single handed foiling skiff.  with electric spinnaker hoist, electric rudder that will hold a bearing. and a main sail you can adjust remotely. 
Be nice to sit on the trapeze and be ale to fine tune everything with the touch of your waterproof tablet while hurtling along at 50 knot. You could probably build one now for a similar cost to a Ac75
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3456>