FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Dinghies in 2035

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>
Author
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Dinghies in 2035
    Posted: 01 Oct 19 at 2:08pm
I don't think it would have been hard to imagine boats like the Foiling Moth and the Wasp mid naughties, as their foundations were well laid.  But I don't think I would imagined the foiling cats we saw in San Fran in the AC, and even two years ago I wouldn't have believed what I am seeing from the AC75s. In fact the move to fully foiling in large boats has surprised me. 

What will the high performance boats be like in 15 years time?  What will dinghy racing be like?  Will we have lost the close combat of slowish one designs (like the Laser) and all be racing skiffs and foilers where one gust takes you half a mile in front of your competitors?

I wonder, and I wonder what you think?

Originally posted by Chris 249

We're likely to have some more foiling classes, but they will be very small in numbers.
Skiffs will not have taken over 
Rotomoulded dinghies may become more popular still.
Originally posted by Chew my RS

I think there will be a period of consolidation, with much fewer new designs over the next 10 years than we've had over the last 10
Originally posted by MerlinMags

Maybe virtual reality computer games will be so advanced they can recreate the feeling of sailing, and none of us will bother to physically go to a club, and launch an actual boat.....? 
Originally posted by JimC

The swing to singlehanders will continue. 
Most of the more popular traditional classes will still exist, but will be less popular. 
The development boats will be at much the same level. 
Many of the current UK SMODs will have gone through their lifecycle and joined the 5Tonner and ISO in oblivion, but the 29er and 49er will still be popular. 
there will be at least one popular thermoplastic singlehander being raced by adults 
I'll most likely be pushing up the daisies, won't be posting on this forum and won't give a damn about being proved wrong!

Edited by mozzy - 01 Oct 19 at 2:10pm
H2 View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote H2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 19 at 2:27pm
When I think about what may happen in the future I find it hard to de-link what has happened in the past - I mean when I was sailing in the 80's and 90's I would have bet you a lot of money that classes like the Solo would certainly have disappeared by now. Its seemed hopeless outdated and only appealing to old men and yet here we are and its more popular than ever! Its great that you could say that about a number of classes that have fallen out of popularity and then come back, a number spring to mind.

I do think we will continue to see a gradual shift toward singlehanders as people find it harder to secure crews and I think we will see consolidation around builders or marketing companies (i.e. RS) who are big enough to survive in a shrinking pot of sales.
H2 #115 (sold)
H2 145
OK 2082
ian.r.mcdonald View Drop Down
Far too distracted from work

Post Options Post Options   Quote ian.r.mcdonald Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 19 at 4:24pm
Originally posted by H2

When I think about what may happen in the future I find it hard to de-link what has happened in the past - I mean when I was sailing in the 80's and 90's I would have bet you a lot of money that classes like the Solo would certainly have disappeared by now. Its seemed hopeless outdated and only appealing to old men and yet here we are and its more popular than ever! Its great that you could say that about a number of classes that have fallen out of popularity and then come back, a number spring to mind.
I do think we will continue to see a gradual shift toward singlehanders as people find it harder to secure crews and I think we will see consolidation around builders or marketing companies (i.e. RS) who are big enough to survive in a shrinking pot of sales.

Let's hope the current discussions ( made with good intentions) on changes to the Solo dont damage it's current position
sargesail View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote sargesail Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 19 at 4:52pm
I currently work in foresight. I have drawn up the outline of some scenarios for UK society, economy, climate et al for a deep future, with a view to examining some alternative futures for the sport. I need to find the time to flesh that work out and then see how it would affect thinks like our choice of craft.
KazRob View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote KazRob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 19 at 5:59pm
I think we’ll still be sailing very similar boats as we have been. Yep there will be new, easier to use foiling classes to come, but the old adage that it’s easy design a boat but it’s much harder to build a class inevitably comes into play.
The other consideration is where is being discussed. The UK has always loved new classes so I’m sure we’ll see another dozen classes at least, but other sailing countries can be much less fickle and tend to stick with more established classes.
OK 2249
D-1 138
JimC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote JimC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 19 at 7:07pm
I note from subsequent posts my predictions were 2029 rather than 2019. Am not pushing up daisies yet, but ability to sail performance boats severely curtailed.
423zero View Drop Down

Online Status: Online
Post Options Post Options   Quote 423zero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 19 at 7:49pm
Think more technology, perhaps automatic sail setting, you only need to steer.
Robert
KazRob View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote KazRob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 19 at 8:07pm
Originally posted by 423zero

Think more technology, perhaps automatic sail setting, you only need to steer.

Like a motor boat you mean  Smile
OK 2249
D-1 138
423zero View Drop Down

Online Status: Online
Post Options Post Options   Quote 423zero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 19 at 8:10pm
The tech' will shout duck when boom comes across  LOL
Robert
Rupert View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Rupert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 19 at 8:15pm
I predict boats like the X one design, West Wight Scow and Salcome Yawl will still be around. Firefly, Solo, Laser, probably. Aero, not sure. Longevity of hulls matters, even if older boats aren't truly competitive at all levels.
Merlins, Moths, 14s, I'd think so. Maybe Moths will have taken another step towards flying and will have left the water completely!
Firefly 2324, Puffin 229, Minisail 3446 Mirror 70686
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>