FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

The future of the “Laser” (ILCA)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Sam.Spoons View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Online Status: Online
Post Options Post Options   Quote Sam.Spoons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 19 at 1:16pm
Originally posted by getafix

....and the crappy deck layout and awful (antiquated) rudder.  Why change it when ready made 'better' alternatives are already out there with modern construction?

The rudder is easy to improve, just allow the leading edge to be vertical. Ok it won't be a complete answer, only a new blade would do that but it would make the boat lighter on the helm and a little nicer to sail.
Spice 346 "Flat Broke"
Blaze 671 "supersonic soap dish"
tink View Drop Down
Far too distracted from work

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote tink Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 19 at 4:53pm
I sail a laser for a week or two each year at a activities/beach resort holiday. The boats are in a well used situation, knackered  (hence won’t name the company) every boat feels different but by keeping it flat and adjust controls it is possible to get the helm to feel fine. It is quite easy to sail a laser rudderless (with the tiller tied), so if you’re sailing with minimal use of rudder, which surely is our aim, the rudder issues evaporate. 
Tink
https://tinkboats.wordpress.com/

http://proasail.blogspot.com
L192444 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote L192444 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 19 at 5:02pm
The rudder would be much improved by simply allowing you to move the pivot hole. 

Major changes won’t happen, and as for the “carbon” top mast I’d love to know the actual carbon %. 
andymck View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote andymck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 19 at 5:22pm
I used to think the rudder was an issue as well.
I since got better at sailing.
i now think the laser rudder teaches good technique.
It’s not an issue as long as you learn to sail it well.
I never found it that uncomfortable either.

Having said all that. I now have an Aero. Mainly because it’s just more fun.

Andy
Andy Mck
JimC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote JimC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 19 at 7:53pm
Originally posted by L192444

as for the “carbon” top mast I’d love to know the actual carbon %. 

My understanding is that the topmast design is intended to replicate the alloy spar as well as possible, so the carbon content won't be spectacularly high.

Post Options Post Options   Quote Sam.Spoons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 19 at 8:19pm
TBF that is an impossible task, either it will be stiffer or lighter (by a significant margin) and either way it's dynamic response will be much faster than alloy.
Spice 346 "Flat Broke"
JimC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote JimC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 19 at 8:32pm
The tale is that the layup is a complex mixture of glass and carbon to get the properties right.

Post Options Post Options   Quote Sam.Spoons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 19 at 8:40pm
I'll bet they are quicker though, or why bother........
Spice 346 "Flat Broke"
CT249 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote CT249 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 19 at 8:52pm
They bother to make them longer-lasting, without the fatigue problem of highly stressed alloy spars.

I do agree that just allowing the rudder to hang more vertically would make the boat feel nicer. It would just reduce the weight on the helm, which is noticeable even when you are sailing well (ie inside the top 10 nationally).

Tink, in a breeze and chop on a Laser you're actually using a lot of helm to get over the waves fast.  Check Schiedt's tiller waggling here;

Edited by CT249 - 30 Sep 19 at 8:57pm
Daniel Holman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Daniel Holman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 19 at 9:11pm
Originally posted by CT249

They bother to make them longer-lasting, without the fatigue problem of highly stressed alloy spars.
I do agree that just allowing the rudder to hang more vertically would make the boat feel nicer. It would just reduce the weight on the helm, which is noticeable even when you are sailing well (ie inside the top 10 nationally).
Tink, in a breeze and chop on a Laser you're actually using a lot of helm to get over the waves fast.  Check Schiedt's tiller waggling here;

Bob is the man!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>