FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Dare I even discuss a new class?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 567
Author
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Dare I even discuss a new class?
    Posted: 01 Oct 19 at 9:23am
Nothing in the class rules about being in contact with the deck when trapping. Buy yourself some platform shoes and sail it like a tall person. Proper height equalisation! 
iGRF View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote iGRF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 19 at 10:05am
Originally posted by mozzy

Nothing in the class rules about being in contact with the deck when trapping. Buy yourself some platform shoes and sail it like a tall person. Proper height equalisation! 

I'd already suggested that to the Contender mob, and a super light build but with twenty kilos of lead craned into the boat once it's launched.
Dougaldog View Drop Down
Far too distracted from work

Post Options Post Options   Quote Dougaldog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 19 at 10:18am
Been done (the platform shoes bit)…..some 40 years or more ago!
D
Dougal H
iGRF View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote iGRF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 19 at 10:37am
What about the 20 kilos of lead and a crane?
CT249 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote CT249 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 19 at 11:53am
No crane needed - just the huge balloon tires and proper wheel bearing the cat guys often choose. Our F18 (185kg) is often as easy to drag around on its good balloon wheels as a Laser is on a normal trolley.
boatshed View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote boatshed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 19 at 12:44pm
Originally posted by iGRF

What about the 20 kilos of lead and a cran?

I'm pretty sure 20kg of correctors is wrong. I club race a reasonably upto date Contender at Draycote and I find unless there is sufficient wind to trapeze on the reaches, one has to accept handicap racing is a bit of a struggle.

The boat is well mannered and superb upwind in 12 knots and above of steady and clear wind. If it goes light and you get in traffic, then it all goes Pete Tong and Aeros will piss all over you. I doubt taking 20 kg out of the hull will change that.

You really need to class race the Contender.

The Aero would be the boat for GRF. Currently a deamon on PY

Steve
ian.r.mcdonald View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote ian.r.mcdonald Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 19 at 1:34pm
Originally posted by davidyacht

I don’t think traction is an issue for Graeme, despite his complete displeasure with the PY system he appears to have equal disdain for fleet racing.
What about a Toy?

The last Toy I saw was being sailed ( very well) on the Medway. The sailor changed to a Contender around 30 years ago. He is still sailing and racing a Contender. Soft mast,flat sail Bingo!

Edited by ian.r.mcdonald - 03 Oct 19 at 1:34pm
H2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote H2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 19 at 2:14pm
Originally posted by boatshed

Originally posted by iGRF

What about the 20 kilos of lead and a cran?

I'm pretty sure 20kg of correctors is wrong. I club race a reasonably upto date Contender at Draycote and I find unless there is sufficient wind to trapeze on the reaches, one has to accept handicap racing is a bit of a struggle.

The boat is well mannered and superb upwind in 12 knots and above of steady and clear wind. If it goes light and you get in traffic, then it all goes Pete Tong and Aeros will piss all over you. I doubt taking 20 kg out of the hull will change that.

You really need to class race the Contender.

The Aero would be the boat for GRF. Currently a deamon on PY

I agree that the Aero is a bandit at the moment!!
H2 #115 (sold)
H2 145
OK 2082
Jack Sparrow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Jack Sparrow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 19 at 4:01pm
You could always do this with your old Farr 3.7 sail?

fab100 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote fab100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 19 at 1:03am
just put some foils on the VTwin, ‘cos Sir Ben’s copied it in all but wimping out on the tunnel-hull, so perhaps you were on to something after all

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 567