FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Lee-Bow..... Windsurfers...etc (Dons tin hat)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 343536
Author
Old Timer View Drop Down
Far too distracted from work

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote Old Timer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Lee-Bow..... Windsurfers...etc (Dons tin hat)
    Posted: 05 Oct 19 at 2:23pm
Originally posted by iGRF

Finally because it's relevant, forty years ago this month just gone, a windsurfer called Mike Todd and I crossed the Channel on a Tandem windsurfer, 1979 same year as that earlier picture. We set off in slack water, but on the French side of the Varne bank, the tide engaged our, you've guessed it, lee bow and our speed over the water increased and we were able not to fully plane but to at least hook into our harnesses.

So what do you think happened there, the tide gave additional flow over your foils giving you more pace or that the tide wind combined with the ground wind to give you a stronger sailing wind?
iGRF View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Post Options Post Options   Quote iGRF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 19 at 4:23pm
Originally posted by Old Timer

Finally because it's relevant, forty years ago this month just gone, a windsurfer called Mike Todd and I crossed the Channel on a Tandem windsurfer, 1979 same year as that earlier picture. We set off in slack water, but on the French side of the Varne bank, the tide engaged our, you've guessed it, lee bow and our speed over the water increased and we were able not to fully plane but to at least hook into our harnesses.

So what do you think happened there, the tide gave additional flow over your foils giving you more pace or that the tide wind combined with the ground wind to give you a stronger sailing wind?

Well Old timer, we didn't really know anything other than the tide makes the wind feel stronger and being ignorant windsurfers didn't really call it anything, although logic would suggest it better to have two distinct reasons rather than one or you wouldn't know how to separate them or how to increase or decrease the combination if you don't know which bit is doing it, so calling it one thing is counter intuitive.

However some wise old dinghy sailing sage came along annd explained we had experienced 'lee bow effect' not that we even knew we had a lee or a bow, so as I said many many pages back your term not mine, so now, like a woman you've changed your mind and called it something else, no wonder all boats are female...

But it doesn't really matter what its called as long as you accept that angling the lower foil works better when the flow is on one side than it does on the other.

Edited by iGRF - 05 Oct 19 at 4:25pm
iGRF View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote iGRF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 19 at 4:41pm
Haha, I've just thought of another conundrum..

When we reach a certain threshold, (used to be called the force four barrier), lets call it 10 knots for arguments sake, we kick the plate away, not just back, all the way, gone into the board thanks to that genius pair, back then in 1979. (I asked for it Mike Todd built it). The board breaks onto the plane and all that tide feel goes away.

Because the tide force gets replaced and exceeded by created wind force which gets stronger and stronger to the point it becomes possible to bear off full on into the tide and stay planing.

Just anecdotal nonesense meaning not a lot, but it's part of the phenomena of being able to exceed wind force, and in this case wind and tide force, where in some places like the famous windsurfing spot on the Columbia river, Oregon, where the walk of shame is more likely to be back down wind rather than up during the spring melt and places like Portishead in England where they have a very strong tide at their club we had some interesting races at back in the day.

So I prefer to know which of the three components I should go for in my 'sailing' wind and I think so should everyone else.

Edited by iGRF - 05 Oct 19 at 4:42pm
Old Timer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Old Timer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 19 at 4:56pm

Originally posted by Old Timer

Well Old timer, we didn't really know anything other than the tide makes the wind feel stronger and being ignorant windsurfers didn't really call it anything, although logic would suggest it better to have two distinct reasons rather than one or you wouldn't know how to separate them or how to increase or decrease the combination if you don't know which bit is doing it, so calling it one thing is counter intuitive.

However some wise old dinghy sailing sage came along annd explained we had experienced 'lee bow effect' not that we even knew we had a lee or a bow, so as I said many many pages back your term not mine, so now, like a woman you've changed your mind and called it something else, no wonder all boats are female...

But it doesn't really matter what its called as long as you accept that angling the lower foil works better when the flow is on one side than it does on the other.

You should enter politics, you manage to not answer the question and give two contradictory points and redefine / misuse a definition in a couple of paragraphs and do it all 100% self belief and not a whiff of embarrassment. You really have missed your calling. 

At least I can now conclude what you call the lee bow effect isn’t the much discussed myth. 
ian.r.mcdonald View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote ian.r.mcdonald Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 19 at 5:11pm
Page 36 and gybing centreboards havent been mentioned yet? Come on guys! Let's maintain tradition

Edited by ian.r.mcdonald - 05 Oct 19 at 5:12pm
sargesail View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote sargesail Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 19 at 6:10pm
Originally posted by sargesail

As to those who would decry the 'Ferry Gliding' example simply because it doesn't correspond with their lee bow debunkingposition. I would suggest the following.

If you have say a 4knot current one way with your craft headed the other directly into the flow balanced exactly by a four knot wind on a dead run. Brought effectively to a standstill over the ground.

What would happen if the plate gybed to the left (or right) even just one degree (rudder still centred)?

If the others are to be believed nothing would happen. But the fact is the craft would shift right or left even though the water it is sailing in doesn't 'know' anything has happened.

Sorry whatever they're reading it's been misleading them.

Ok which of these 2? It may not be relevant but I’d like to know what assumption we are making about impossible performance envelopes!

Gybing boards are in there!
iGRF View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote iGRF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 19 at 7:17pm
Originally posted by ian.r.mcdonald

Page 36 and gybing centreboards havent been mentioned yet? Come on guys! Let's maintain tradition

Yep, we did discuss them as an illustration of the ferry glide thing and then the resident forum Banksy (sargesail)committed to sketch.
sargesail View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote sargesail Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 19 at 7:32pm
By the way the boat goes backwards as well as sideways cos you can’t have lift without drag. The sail might flap because the sideways movement will cause the wind to come forward.
423zero View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote 423zero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 19 at 7:16pm
Anniversary of 1799 Jackman rapids disaster today, just an aside to go with river ferry mentioned several times.
Image result for 1799 jackman rapids ferry disaster
Robert
423zero View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote 423zero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 19 at 7:30pm
Robert
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 343536