FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

portable garage for boat storage

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
sawman View Drop Down
Far too distracted from work

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote sawman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: portable garage for boat storage
    Posted: 06 Sep 19 at 2:49pm
I normally keep my wooden boat in the garage over the winter (often large parts of the summer too!) but this year the garage is likely to be a bit overcommitted. My long term plan is to extend the garage, but this may take some time, in the meantime, I wondered if using one of those portable garages (pvc gazebo with door at each end might be a better option than fully exposed outdoor storage.
like this https://www.dancovershop.com/uk/product/portable-garage-pro-2-4x6-0x2-4-m.aspx
JimC View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Post Options Post Options   Quote JimC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 19 at 3:03pm
Anything that keeps rain and frost at a distance is going to be a good thing. In the long term it might be a handy thing to have for sanding and paint prep to keep the messy dusty jobs out of your garage. Just wish I had room for something like that.

Be wise to check weekly for any problems like water or animals getting in...

Edited by JimC - 06 Sep 19 at 3:04pm
Riv View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Riv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 19 at 6:47pm
On the main road near me there is a man who keeps his classic cars under portable "garages"on his front drive. Works well for him. At £279 yours it looks good value compared to alternatives.
Mistral Div II prototype board, Original Windsurfer, Hornet built'74.
sargesail View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote sargesail Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 19 at 9:13am
How do they sit with planning permission etc
Jumps View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Jumps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 19 at 8:08pm
Originally posted by sargesail

It's not a permanent structure so I don't thing planning will be bothered.

However, it is a bit 'ugly' you might be wise to have a freindly chat to the neighbours to let them know its just a short term solution ?

Edited by Jumps - 08 Sep 19 at 8:09pm
sawman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote sawman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 19 at 6:35pm
Originally posted by Jumps

Originally posted by sargesail

It's not a permanent structure so I don't thing planning will be bothered.

However, it is a bit 'ugly' you might be wise to have a freindly chat to the neighbours to let them know its just a short term solution ?

Yes, I don't think planning is an issue as its removable, found a potentially better option  - the stand up portable option, from these guys: https://www.canvasandnylon.co.uk/portable-garages/

looks like I could get a smallish one that just about fits the boat - it then tucks away out of side behind the garage, out of site of neighbours also.
Rupert View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Rupert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 19 at 9:49pm
Expensive for a boat cover, cheap for a garage. What would sailing clubs say if they started popping up in boat parks?!
Firefly 2324, Puffin 229, Minisail 3446 Mirror 70686
423zero View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote 423zero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 19 at 6:09am
Have seen one in a boat park, looked homemade, but we'll made, only issue is if it blew away and did loads of damage.
Robert
Riv View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Riv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 19 at 10:01am
Compared to the mess of saggy rain filled covers and ruined rotten wooden boats in many dinghy parks they can only be an improvement
Mistral Div II prototype board, Original Windsurfer, Hornet built'74.
Gordon 1430 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Gordon 1430 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 19 at 1:09pm
Look at Machine Mart they do some very good temp garage / storage in a wide range of sizes.

Gordon
Phantom 1430
 Post Reply Post Reply