FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Solo changes survey

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 7891011 21>
Author
ian.r.mcdonald View Drop Down
Far too distracted from work

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote ian.r.mcdonald Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 19 at 9:11am
Originally posted by Noah

I feel that a lot of the discussion over changes to OD (rather than SMOD) classes is down to the longevity of decent quality boats produced by the likes of Winder, Ovi and others.
When boats lasted a couple of seasons as a really competitive package minor, ongoing change was more accepted. My boat is now 16 years old and cosmetically showing her age. Structurally - sound as a pound. Yes - the latest iterations may be a few % earlier to plane, or a few % stiffer, but the biggest problem on the race course, for me, is the nut on the tiller.

I agree totally Nick, but until the rules change to ignore winning by less than two boat lengths, making sure the basic boats are evenly matched is important. And then when I go the wrong way up the beat or run poorly, it's my fault!
stonefish View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote stonefish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 19 at 10:58am
These proposed changes are going to be very bad for the class, hardly anyone is going to win with this.

You will piss off the builders because no one is going to buy a new solo anytime soon knowing a new version is coming in a year or so and then more potential changes after that. 

You will piss off the owners that have just purchased new boats because all of a sudden their resale value has dramatically dropped because it's not a new design boat.

You will piss off the owners of perfectly competitive older boats that have no correctors or have removed some to keep it on weight because new boats will come in at 3kg less.

You will piss off any solo owner that isn't planning on shelling out 10k out for a new design boat anytime soon because all of a sudden new boats will appear that are lighter, easier to recover from a capsize, more comfortable to sail etc. because when they purchased their boat they thought they were getting a one design boat.

All for what making the boat slightly better. There is a reason the solo is the second most popular class in the country, it's design is a winning formula and people that own them accept it has its flaws in the knowledge they are all in the same boat.
Riv View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Riv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 19 at 11:18am
"Problem with the Solo Class Association is that there is no provision for postal voting and AGMs are held at the Nationals, which is not a representative sample of the majority of the membership" (David yacht)

Am I correct in thinking that the questionnaire was sent out to gauge opinion and the actual decision is going to be taken at the AGM?

I assume that more questionnaires were sent out than there will be attendances at the AGM?

This means that many members who have expressed an opinion will not be able to vote? Is this correct?

If this is correct I find it almost unbelievable. I'm a member of two Unions. I use postal votes. That is Democratic. Seems like the Solo class needs a democratic overhaul or they will be like my Council whose  Officers actually take all the decisions with Councilors comming along for the ride and "democracy" becomming a farce. (I have attended two Council meetings this week to do with major planning issues)
Mistral Div II prototype board, Original Windsurfer, Hornet built'74.
NicolaJayne View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote NicolaJayne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 19 at 11:57am
Originally posted by JimC

If every competitive boat in the fleet is carrying lead, then the lead is pointless and ditching it just saves hassle and takes a few quid of the cost of new boats.

exactly that ... 
stonefish View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote stonefish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 19 at 12:10pm
Originally posted by NicolaJayne

Originally posted by JimC

If every competitive boat in the fleet is carrying lead, then the lead is pointless and ditching it just saves hassle and takes a few quid of the cost of new boats.

exactly that ... 

Except there are plenty of competitive boats that have no lead or reduced lead
Sam.Spoons View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Post Options Post Options   Quote Sam.Spoons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 19 at 1:06pm
The 'cheaper new boat' thing is a red herring, 3kg of lead costs under 25 retail (scrap value only about 8), not significant on a boat costing 7500 without any of the essential "extras".

Now if they were considering shaving 20kg off that would really make a difference  LOL
Spice 346 "Flat Broke"
Blaze 671 "supersonic soap dish"
H2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote H2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 19 at 2:16pm
Originally posted by Sam.Spoons

The 'cheaper new boat' thing is a red herring, 3kg of lead costs under 25 retail (scrap value only about 8), not significant on a boat costing 7500 without any of the essential "extras".

Now if they were considering shaving 20kg off that would really make a difference  LOL

Because then it would be made of carbon and be much more expensive.....right?
H2 #115 (sold)
H2 145
OK 2082
CT249 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote CT249 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 19 at 2:24pm
Originally posted by tink

[QUOTE=JimC]  Sailors battling it out in the bottom 20% are equally valid and their experience and enjoyment of the race equally, if not more important, that of the guys at the top. 

Well said.

CT249 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote CT249 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 19 at 2:29pm

I feel that a lot of the discussion over changes to OD (rather than SMOD) classes is down to the longevity of decent quality boats produced by the likes of Winder, Ovi and others. 
When boats lasted a couple of seasons as a really competitive package minor, ongoing change was more accepted. My boat is now 16 years old and cosmetically showing her age. Structurally - sound as a pound. Yes - the latest iterations may be a few % earlier to plane, or a few % stiffer, but the biggest problem on the race course, for me, is the nut on the tiller.

Arguably most of the sport has still failed to get its head around the enormous lifespan of the boats that have been built over the past couple of decades.  In many ways they are seen as a problem rather than an asset to the sport. Keeping old boats competitive must be the easiest way to reduce costs, which is one of the sport's greatest problems.

Sam.Spoons View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Sam.Spoons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 19 at 2:55pm
Originally posted by CT249

Arguably most of the sport has still failed to get its head around the enormous lifespan of the boats that have been built over the past couple of decades.  In many ways they are seen as a problem rather than an asset to the sport. Keeping old boats competitive must be the easiest way to reduce costs, which is one of the sport's greatest problems.

Thumbs Up  Thumbs Up  Thumbs Up 

Edited by Sam.Spoons - 20 Sep 19 at 3:39pm
Spice 346 "Flat Broke"
Blaze 671 "supersonic soap dish"
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 7891011 21>