FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Solo changes survey

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 18192021>
Author
NickM99 View Drop Down
Posting king
Posting king

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote NickM99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Solo changes survey
    Posted: 15 Oct 19 at 8:14am
I'm pretty sure that the builders have nothing to do with it.  And they stand to suffer from a hiatus in new orders while there is any doubt about what will or will not be adopted.  
ian.r.mcdonald View Drop Down
Far too distracted from work

Post Options Post Options   Quote ian.r.mcdonald Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 19 at 10:40am
Does a frp boat increase in weight with age and storage outside?

Does a repair or adding fittings add significantly to weight ?

Just wondering if the answer is yes, how does a frp boat deal with having no correctors in the future?

Edited by ian.r.mcdonald - 16 Oct 19 at 10:41am
Woodman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Woodman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 19 at 10:43am
If its solid glass then yes. Washing out thoroughly then stirring inside and blowing air through can reverse a lot of that. If the boats are epoxy, then no they shouldn't gain anything significant.

Post Options Post Options   Quote ian.r.mcdonald Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 19 at 10:48am
That's good news. Surely adding the later fittings ( continuous controls ,centreboard etc etc) to an earlier boat must add something?

And " only a kilo" has more importance on a £4k boat?
Woodman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Woodman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 19 at 10:52am
Everything adds weight! Including your kit, water bottles and of course the pie you ate in the bar beforehand :-0

Post Options Post Options   Quote ian.r.mcdonald Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 19 at 11:09am
Originally posted by Woodman

Everything adds weight! Including your kit, water bottles and of course the pie you ate in the bar beforehand :-0

I will change to low fat veggie pie from my lovely local steak and kidney , well perhaps not!

But of course the fixed bits are the items included in meeting class rules

Edited by ian.r.mcdonald - 16 Oct 19 at 2:18pm
Sam.Spoons View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Post Options Post Options   Quote Sam.Spoons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 19 at 11:13am
There was a lot of debate in windsurfing circles about the effect of sailor weight vs board weight. Consensus, purely empirically, was that once you were powered up the extra power bigger guys could harness worked in their favour but board weight was always a bad thing. When displacement sailing lightweights have a big advantage but big guys can still do well if they have good pumping technique (pumping is legal on Raceboards).

Edited by Sam.Spoons - 16 Oct 19 at 11:13am
Spice 346 "Flat Broke"
Blaze 671 "supersonic soap dish"
tink View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote tink Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 19 at 4:24pm
I am over weight and my boat is overweight. Fluky light air difficulty to say but probably slower. Marginal planing conditions I loose out on the legs when others plane, upwind no difference. Once the wind is 15 + and I’ m able to plane fitness is the key. Ignoring boat handling crew weight and fitness are probably the deciding factor for 80% of my sailing year. So working on my weight and fitness which is much cheaper than a newer boat. 

Tink
https://tinkboats.com

http://proasail.blogspot.com

Post Options Post Options   Quote ian.r.mcdonald Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 19 at 4:30pm
As ever, you talk sense.

I am happy to keep fit,train to sail better etc. And I am aware that I or my boat is never going to be National champion.

My issue is that ( however small the effect) changing a one design boat in a way that cant be matched by 99% of the existing boats is neither good for the class or its future.

Edited by ian.r.mcdonald - 16 Oct 19 at 4:32pm
Sam.Spoons View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Sam.Spoons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 19 at 4:36pm
Originally posted by ian.r.mcdonald

As ever, you talk sense.

I am happy to keep fit,train to sail better etc. And I am aware that I or my boat is never going to be National champion.

My issue is that ( however small the effect) changing a one design boat in a way that cant be matched by 99% of the existing boats is neither good for the class or its future.

+1 Not my class yet (but probably will be one day)
Spice 346 "Flat Broke"
Blaze 671 "supersonic soap dish"
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 18192021>