FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Musical inclinations.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 9>
Author
iGRF View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote iGRF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Musical inclinations.
    Posted: 13 Nov 19 at 11:53pm
I love music, I count myself so lucky to have lived through the fifties,sixties,seventies,eighties, nineties, and to a lessor extent the noughties and teens now, although there are some new discoverys, like Sheeran and Seasick Steve, they are as nothing to the impact that Chuck Berry, Beatles, Stones, The Who,The Kinks, Led Zepplin, Bolan, Roxy Music, Bowie,Talking Heads, and so many many more that coloured the background to my life. I've got an awesome collection on the iphone, still got a mono Sgt Pepper. I remember where I was in 1968 the very first time that wonderful new invention stereo meant different sounds came out of either speaker..

Couldn't name favorites, love them all, favorite Opera Carmen, also like Bethoven, Bach, Mozart in small doses at the right time and with the correct spirit bottle close to hand.

Also so many memories locked in particular tunes, genres and eras, it doesn't surprise me even dementia patients like a tune.

Music, how could you live without it?
423zero View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote 423zero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 19 at 7:23am
First record I can remember buying was 'Ballroom blitz' by the Sweet, first album 'Pictures at an exhibition' ELP.
Robert
Sam.Spoons View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Sam.Spoons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 19 at 10:04am
Originally posted by ian.r.mcdonald

Originally posted by Sam.Spoons

I like Rock Opera, so Tommy is a favourite

I was sat outside Cowes in a rescue boat looking after a load of kids in Bosuns. A huge gin palace motored by with loads of girls wearing not very much and someone who looked like Oliver Reed. It was Oliver. They were filming Tommy.

Clap

Highlight of my musical 'career' was playing guitar for the Northern Amateur stage premier of Tommy, the musical.

Currently I'm more into acoustic genres, Bluegrass, Folk and, particularly, Gypsy Jazz. Still enjoy playing and listening to the bluesy end of rock though.
Spice 346 "Flat Broke"
Blaze 671 "supersonic soap dish"
423zero View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote 423zero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 19 at 8:34pm
One for the guitar players  Smile not the best known track by 'America' but my favourite.

Robert

Post Options Post Options   Quote Sam.Spoons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 19 at 8:49pm
Nice  Thumbs Up Not heard that for a while.

Edited by Sam.Spoons - 15 Nov 19 at 8:49pm
Spice 346 "Flat Broke"
iGRF View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote iGRF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 19 at 11:17pm
Nice but not exactly The Man who's base player was a pal I used to hang out with, local guy Noel Redding.

Post Options Post Options   Quote Sam.Spoons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 19 at 11:25pm
Yeah, he wasn't too shabby, Ive heard him described as the Django of his day  Wink
Spice 346 "Flat Broke"
iGRF View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote iGRF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 19 at 11:35pm
Noel went touring with him in the states, down south, said he's never been so fearful of his life, the intense racism they encountered. We never really noticed beyond his incredible talent with a guitar, it was like that in the late sixties and he was God. Must have been a bitch for the yanks finding out God was black.
Sussex Lad View Drop Down
Far too distracted from work
Far too distracted from work

Post Options Post Options   Quote Sussex Lad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 19 at 10:07am
The white middle classes of the time much prefered their musical icons to at least look caucasian. Hence Elvis getting the title "King of Rock and Roll" when there were a few others with more talent........ Hendrix did break that pattern. Rightly so.

Edited by Sussex Lad - 16 Nov 19 at 10:09am
423zero View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote 423zero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 19 at 11:02am
I think Elvis was part native American?

Robert
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 9>