FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

What would it take to reinvigorate this forum?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 14151617>
Author
JimC View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote JimC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What would it take to reinvigorate this forum?
    Posted: 10 Oct 19 at 10:07am
Originally posted by Sussex Lad

...but they are not thin skinned or snowflakes (whatever that means).

TBH I'm not entirely sure why being thick skinned and having the ability to put up with abuse should be a requirement to participate in any forum.
423zero View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote 423zero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 19 at 10:11am
What about using a split tail main ?
Robert
Sam.Spoons View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Sam.Spoons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 19 at 11:18am
Originally posted by 423zero

Sam,
In your opinion loose traveller or tight like a Laser.

Cirrus has answered comprehensively (and it does work extremely well). Just to add that the mainsheet becomes a power control (which I was used to in the Spice with it's centre mainsheet) allowing you to control the leech and twist without having to play the kicker upwind, I find that much easier as you only have one sail control to think about. 

AFAIK a split tail mainsheet's purpose is to allow you to centre the boom. In a Unarig singlehander that last thing you need is the boom centred, but you do want the last foot of mainsheet to be pulling the boom down and controlling the leech without bringing the boom closer to the centreline.

Edited by Sam.Spoons - 10 Oct 19 at 11:23am
Spice 346 "Flat Broke"
Blaze 671 "supersonic soap dish"
H2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote H2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 19 at 11:44am
On the H2 most people have gone down the central sheet with car/track (like a solo) with one or two people using off the boom set up like the Blaze. Both allow you to use the sheet to control the leech without centralising the boom but are there are other pro's / cons I have always wondered. Would love to hear view on this!
H2 #115 (sold)
H2 145
OK 2082
iGRF View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote iGRF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 19 at 11:50am
Getting back to the forum re-invigoration, if it were in the desire of the 'management' they could upgrade the forum software, there are several I visit that now offer the ability to 'like' 'dislike', 'thank' posters, these would also serve to enforce a degree of tolerance or intolerance of posts that help or offend.

There was a funny post from a relative newcomer, (Cardboard Aided Design) made me smile, somebody else had already commented so unnecessary to add, but a little fb like tick box +1 -ing the post would work, similarly if something disagreeable were 'downvoted' (like Quora) the place would self police or at least dis satisfaction shared and needless huffs avoided.

Edited by iGRF - 10 Oct 19 at 11:52am
turnturtle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote turnturtle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 19 at 1:20pm
re off the boom sheeting - if you want to test a hybrid solution out, simply switch the ratchet block off the deck with one on the boom and vice-versa..... I did this in a number of twin sail, single handers to give me the option to 'off the boom' when I wanted, but go conventional when I didn't.

I'm sure there were class rules being broken etc.... but really, whatevs.

As for forum re-invigoration, this post'll have to do for my tuppence for now.

Post Options Post Options   Quote Sam.Spoons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 19 at 2:10pm
Originally posted by H2

On the H2 most people have gone down the central sheet with car/track (like a solo) with one or two people using off the boom set up like the Blaze. Both allow you to use the sheet to control the leech without centralising the boom but are there are other pro's / cons I have always wondered. Would love to hear view on this!

Centre mainsheet setups have more blocks thus more friction to achieve the same mechanical advantage. If a CM was exactly halfway along the boom, a 4:1 tackle compared to a rear bridle traveller with 2:1 would have the same mechanical advantage (i.e. the amount of rope pulled to achieve the same change of sheeting angle) the CM setup would take a little more effort to sheet in due to the higher friction in the system.

Off the boom removes the clutter from the back of the CB case and up to the boom making for a more open cockpit. This is less of an advantage in a Solo or anything with a thwart but opens the Blaze cockpit up significantly and allows for better trim by tacking well forward in the boat and the 1600+mm long tiller extension can pass around the front.

The 'bonus' extra purchase from the boom to hand is at a better angle than if it went via a hog mounted block and lightens sheet loads even further with no friction penalty.

Edited by Sam.Spoons - 10 Oct 19 at 2:11pm
Spice 346 "Flat Broke"
Rupert View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Rupert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 19 at 2:45pm
Nice post from cirrus earlier, thanks. Maybe the slightly loose traveller helps, as I found even a shackle slid to the centre on the Lightning when I tried it with a tight rope. Must experiment again on the Minisail.
Firefly 2324, Puffin 229, Minisail 3446 Mirror 70686

Post Options Post Options   Quote Sam.Spoons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 19 at 4:06pm
Re :- 'forum reinvigoration'

Start a thread on 'Reinvigorating this forum'   LOL
Spice 346 "Flat Broke"
423zero View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote 423zero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 19 at 4:16pm
Biggest issue for me is click on a thread and it goes to page 1.
Robert
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 14151617>