FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

What would it take to reinvigorate this forum?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 17>
Author
Riv View Drop Down
Far too distracted from work

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote Riv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What would it take to reinvigorate this forum?
    Posted: 28 Aug 19 at 11:50am
I find this forum much more welcomimgthan FB. The ability to look at old posts and lack of averts is good. On FB the algorithm thinks I'm interrested in motor homes and support stockings
Mistral Div II prototype board, Original Windsurfer, Hornet built'74.
H2 View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Post Options Post Options   Quote H2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 19 at 1:16pm
Motorhomes and Stockings. Kinky.
H2 #115 (sold)
H2 145
OK 2082
Sam.Spoons View Drop Down

Online Status: Online
Post Options Post Options   Quote Sam.Spoons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 19 at 1:20pm
Well, it has been said that we only do the dinghy sailing thing for the rubber and bondage gear :)
Spice 346 "Flat Broke"
Blaze 671 "supersonic soap dish"
DiscoBall View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote DiscoBall Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 19 at 1:36pm
It's probably a mix of everything above. A few other things that come to mind:

• Ease of posting images/video within a discussion on Facebook - it's pretty labourious to do on forums (especially this one).
  • The repetitive nature of the topics - I'm sure you could come up with a random post generator that would just pick sentences from the previous 20 years of material and recycle them. No-one would notice.  Wink
  • The downward sloping graphs of nationals attendance probably tell their own story - its a shrinking sport overall so the kncok on effects are felt here.
  • Related to the above - apart from the over optimistic 'foilers for the masses' that pop up from time to time there seems very little new stuff going on. RS have seen off Topper and Laser and invaded every class niche around, so any further new classes would seem to end up attacking their already existing ones. With the accepted wisdom that OD trumps everything there's none of the interest created in other technical sports by ongoing development.
  • The ILCA\Laser thread! Both here and on SA I think it has a stultifying effect - swallowing up forum posts that might be better used on more interesting subjects. Much like Brexit, while the implications are quite major, it's like an incredibly dull, slow motion car crash....

Edited by DiscoBall - 28 Aug 19 at 2:03pm
H2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote H2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 19 at 1:49pm
I tried to read the ILCA / Laser thread a few times but lost the will to live - no idea what its all about!!
H2 #115 (sold)
H2 145
OK 2082
Rupert View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Rupert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 19 at 4:15pm
ILCA, LPE, PSA, PSJ, and other TLAs trying to shoot each other but generally hitting their own feet. I think that is what's happening.
Firefly 2324, Puffin 229, Minisail 3446 Mirror 70686
Riv View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Riv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 19 at 4:43pm
This sounds like a lack of Biodiversity in the dinghy world. We are getting a mono culture. Mono cultures may be efficient but need chemical inputs and eventually the soil dies.
Mistral Div II prototype board, Original Windsurfer, Hornet built'74.
zeon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote zeon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 19 at 4:53pm
Originally posted by Rupert

ILCA, LPE, PSA, PSJ, and other TLAs trying to shoot each other but generally hitting their own feet. I think that is what's happening.

Most of the trouble has its cause with decisions main by LPE. The Laser class worked when all parties, ILCA, LPE, PSA and PSJ were all happy with the agreements they were all party to. That all changed when LPE changed ownership. 
getafix View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote getafix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 19 at 5:00pm
Originally posted by H2

I tried to read the ILCA / Laser thread a few times but lost the will to live - no idea what its all about!!

Agreed.  If you can't figure out whats going on in the first page or so, you probably don't need to...
getafix View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote getafix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 19 at 5:02pm
If a 'clever' algorithm tried to figure my interests out (in this context Wink)  they can be boiled down to:

Q. how can I convince enough people at my club to sail silly high performance boats that I don't get beaten by them in their conservative types all the time because I can't practice as much as I used to and frankly, I probably wasn't / am not, as 'good' as many of them anyhow?

Q. how can I make loads of money really, really easily so I can afford the dozen or so boats I would love to buy and sail in all the spare time I don't really have any more??

Q. why is it, that if "black is slimming" then all my black sailing gear is not slimming me down, it is apparently "shrinking" which is odd, because it doesn't get used as much as it did once upon a time?

If you're wondering why these musings, read Riv's post at the top of this page of this thread

Edited by getafix - 28 Aug 19 at 5:05pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 17>