FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Lark Dinghy

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Author
Sussex Lad View Drop Down
Far too distracted from work

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote Sussex Lad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Lark Dinghy
    Posted: 28 Jul 19 at 6:33pm
Yo good folk,
     Thinking of swapping boats. Currently sailing a Laser 2 and an Enterprise. My fair lady crews but now is thinking of having a replacement knee operation. The L2 in light wind has nowhere for her to comfortably sit in. She does however love the the conventional spinny. The Ent on the other hand, although comfortable for her in light wind is a pile of crap and not worth doing up, no spinny either.

I've been looking at the Lark but know nothing about them apart from what's on wikipedia. It has a thwart, it has a symmetric spinny, it's small, plenty of good reasonably priced ones about (prepared to go to 3k for one), we are well within the ideal crew weight , it looks like a nice little boat...it ticks quite a few of our boxes.

Questions, always questions:
 Any known pitfalls with these boats? Best builder? It seems to be quite heavy for a small boat, what's that all about? Good sea boat?

I'd be interested to hear from anyone with experience of the Lark.

Thanks all. 

423zero View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Post Options Post Options   Quote 423zero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 19 at 7:32pm
Sussex lad,
Just in case you didn't know, you can have a spinny on a Enterprise.
Sailed and crewed in a Lark a few times, like most of the established boats it's ok, they all have good and bad points.
sawman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote sawman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 19 at 7:45pm
dont know too much about larks, but someone told me they were a bit tippy.

Miracle is reasonably comfortable for the crew - with its specific crew seats.

Also have a look at the Kestrel, its bigger but pretty crew friendly, it's acceptable for the crew to perch on the thwart, whereas lots of smaller boats need to crew to be well forward. Both blessed with proper symmetric kites.

edit to add: wanderer and leader might be worth a look to - very much like the Ent but designed with kite

Edited by sawman - 28 Jul 19 at 7:47pm

Post Options Post Options   Quote Sussex Lad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 19 at 8:05pm
Originally posted by sawman

dont know too much about larks, but someone told me they were a bit tippy.

Miracle is reasonably comfortable for the crew - with its specific crew seats.

Also have a look at the Kestrel, its bigger but pretty crew friendly, it's acceptable for the crew to perch on the thwart, whereas lots of smaller boats need to crew to be well forward. Both blessed with proper symmetric kites.

edit to add: wanderer and leader might be worth a look to - very much like the Ent but designed with kite

Tippy not a problem.

Miracle mmmm a sweet boat but a bit slow for me.....also a little bit too "old school"  (ducking in anticipation).

We have enjoyed the Ent  but not keen to get another even if it has a kite.

Just been sailing for a week alongside an old Kestrel in Chichester harbour. It went like a like a rocket, a real dark horse given the handicap. Thoroughly impressed with it on the water, not so much on the beach though @120kgs hull.

Edited by Sussex Lad - 28 Jul 19 at 8:10pm
SoggyBadger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote SoggyBadger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 19 at 8:22pm
From what little I know of Larks they're a bit on the tippy side so might not be best suited for a crew with knee problems. Sawman's suggestions of Miracle and Kestrel are both very good. To be honest I wouldn't waste time looking at the Wanderer unless you're the sort of person who must have an Ian Proctor designed boat. At 14 foot I'd look at the GP14 which is, surprising, a bit lighter than the Wanderer, has a bigger choice of 2nd hand boats and a good open meeting circuit. A Merlin Rocket (assuming your crews knees are up to it) might also fit the bill as they're pretty roomy at the front.

Good luck with what ever you choose.

Best wishes from deep in the woods

SB

sawman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote sawman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 19 at 8:24pm
Originally posted by Sussex Lad

Tippy not a problem.

Miracle mmmm a sweet boat but a bit slow for me.....also a little bit too "old school"  (ducking in anticipation).

Just been sailing for a week alongside an old Kestrel in Chichester harbour. It went like a like a rocket, a real dark horse given the handicap. Thoroughly impressed with it on the water, not so much on the beach though @120kgs hull.

Kestrel is a great sea boat, the hartley kestrels (number 1530 and on) go nicely and were reliably down to weight when built (the older boats were variable in this respect). If you want light on shore and decent speed you could also look at Scorpion, but I don't think it is very knee friendly upfront

Post Options Post Options   Quote Sussex Lad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 19 at 8:49pm
Originally posted by sawman

Originally posted by Sussex Lad

Tippy not a problem.

Kestrel is a great sea boat, the hartley kestrels (number 1530 and on) go nicely and were reliably down to weight when built (the older boats were variable in this respect). If you want light on shore and decent speed you could also look at Scorpion, but I don't think it is very knee friendly upfront

Scorpion has come up in discussion elsewhere. Have sailed against them at the Sheppey race a few times and they do look quite good with a versatile rig although very narrow for a hiking boat. Look like they could be quite a handful when the wind gets up.

For the moment I'm trying to get info on the Lark. 
JimC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote JimC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 19 at 6:36am
Larks were roughly based on National 12s of the era they were designed. Not the easiest boat to gybe reliably in breeze and sea, but few boats of that era were. They're a step up in performance and design from Enterprises, GP14s, Kestrels and the like. Lots of mixed and even all female crews last time I shared an event with them.

Build quality on the early ones was questionable, again as so much of that era was, but I haven't heard about anything problematic in boats built in the last 20 years or so. Last time I was paying attention they had a competent and enthusiastic CA, who would be well worth looking out for, and can tell you far more than we can about builders.

For whatever my opinion is worth its a perfectly reasonable choice. The CA can doubtless put you in touch with someone to go for a trip round the bay: that would seem like a sensible next step.
Granite View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Granite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 19 at 11:41am
I only really sailed University team racing Larks, and if a boat can stand up to that kind of abuse they must be reasonably robust. They are more rolly than a Laser 2 but probably not much tippyer overall, certainly more crew space. They do have an aluminium centerboard and this can bend if you stand too far from the hull on a capsize, so something worth checking on a purchace. I seem to recall that some were worse than others for scooping water on agressive roll tacks, but can't remember which. 
If it doesn't break it's too heavy; if it does it wasn't built right
andymck View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote andymck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 19 at 12:25pm
Your issue is not the stability of the boat. Post knee replacement, knee bend is the issue. Most will get to about 100 degrees but more is unlikely. She may only get to 90. This leaves getting under booms an issue. Even roomy boats such as ents can be a problem. Though one guy I know did his own manipulation and got to 120 after his first tack in an ent. He had been at 90 before.
Personally I always though larks were pretty stable and very easy to gybe. They also have side tanks on the older deck shape which may help.
If you are on the east coast there should be plenty to try. But get your fair lady to try before you buy. Make sure she can cope with her knee. And if she can, postpone the total knee.

Andy. (Orthopaedic Surgeon)

Edited by andymck - 29 Jul 19 at 12:27pm
Andy Mck
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>