FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Sheared screws in mast step

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Gordon 1430 View Drop Down
Far too distracted from work
Far too distracted from work

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote Gordon 1430 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Sheared screws in mast step
    Posted: 17 Jul 19 at 7:57am
Hi Wobble
Sorry don't know FF very well can you bolt it down instead of screws?
Gordon
Phantom 1430
craiggo View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Post Options Post Options   Quote craiggo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 19 at 7:57am
Get hold of a thread extractor. They are a tapered drill with a reverse thread. You start a small hole in the top of the broken screw and then drive the extractor in. At some point it will bite and wind the remnants of the screw out.
OK 2129
RS200 411
Sam.Spoons View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Sam.Spoons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 19 at 9:08am
Do not buy one off facebook, the set I bought was not very expensive (under a tenner) and totally useless, the drill end blunted in a second and the reverse thread smoothed off even faster. Test with a file to see if it's properly hardened , if it bites send it/them back.

Also remember that the odds of it working on the shaft of a screw is slim at best even if you get a decent one. If the screw is well enough stuck to shear then it'll need a fair bit of grip to remove it so go in with plenty of heat before attempting.
Spice 346 "Flat Broke"
Blaze 671 "supersonic soap dish"
Wobble View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote Wobble Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 19 at 9:45am
Gordon, nowhere to bolt to, as there's no opposing face to tighten against. These screws go into the meat of the hull spine.
I've used a thread extractor on an engine bolt before, but never on a screw. I have my doubts that they would work, given how fast the screw stumps are.
I'm going to take some time next week to look at the boat more closely, and decide what to do then. I don't think it's a killer problem -- just want to do the best job possible.
mole View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote mole Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 19 at 10:33am
Hi
the hardest part is drilling the stainless screw. Ideally you need to flatten the top of the screw and use a centre punch before starting to drill.
A small drill will be required to start, with stainless use constant pressure and fairly low rpm and some form of lubrication. If you don't the metal will work harden and the drill bit will soon become blunt. Obviously be careful of too much pressure and breaking the drill
It maybe the full removal, and repositioning would be the best bet. Maybe consider using another suppliers mast step with different hole positions?
Hope you get it sorted
cheers

Post Options Post Options   Quote Sam.Spoons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 19 at 3:09pm
What might help is a left handed drill bit.

Spice 346 "Flat Broke"
yottiemad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote yottiemad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 19 at 3:16pm
I had the same issue in an FF, no one to blame but myself as I fitted the hull out from new.
I never tried to get the broken screws out, my screws had been installed with epoxy as lube/sealant from new so no extract tool would get them out. Just re drill the the alloy mast heel when it is removed, counter sink holes and put screws a size larger in different positions. It is an FF, a couple of grams in the hog will not make the boat over weight.
Moomin.W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Moomin.W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 19 at 3:42pm
Just a different approach for removal which is easier than drilling out. Use a small cutting disk in a dremmel to cut a slot on the top of the screw shank. You'll cut into the surrounding wood but only a slot and it helps stabilise the cut on the screw. Then use a flat head driver to unscrew.

Post Options Post Options   Quote Sam.Spoons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 19 at 3:46pm
Or use a 'drummer'  Wink
Spice 346 "Flat Broke"
Chris Robinson View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Chris Robinson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 19 at 8:37am
https://youtu.be/dJfkCj3FWBs

This guy looks like he may have the answer. You may have to search to find the right tools though.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>