FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Round the Island

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
NickM99 View Drop Down
Posting king
Posting king

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote NickM99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Round the Island
    Posted: 02 Jul 19 at 3:25pm
Brilliant result by "Eeyore" but not sure she is a bog standard Alacrity "bilge keeler"!
https://www.rushallsailing.com/racing-small-keelboats/

craiggo View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Post Options Post Options   Quote craiggo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 19 at 11:46am
Was thinking exactly the same.
The article implies that Jo dropped the original bilge keels and fitted the fin keel from "The Moo", so the reporting of the race being won by a bilge keeler is wrong.

I would be very suprised if Jo hasn't had the boat re-rated but the yachting press should perhaps give a bit more of the details rather than just giving the sensational headline with no background.

What is great about Eeyore though, is that a boat with old traditional lines can with a bit of work be made to perform very well. How many people would look at a Hurley and think it was a capable race boat?
OK 2129
RS200 411
JimC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote JimC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 19 at 12:06pm
Originally posted by craiggo

is that a boat with old traditional lines can with a bit of work be made to perform very well.

Arguably that only demonstrates that the handicapping system is reasonably competent. Given a pure handicapping system a desperate old dog should be capable of winning a race provided that its a well sailed desperate old dog.
craiggo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote craiggo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 19 at 7:21pm
You are right Jim.

However looking at the pace of Eeyore she is clearly a quick boat which you would not expect if you saw one in original condition. My point therefore was that clearly a lot of older floating caravans actually have pretty good underwater lines and with a bit of thought can be excellent racing boats.
OK 2129
RS200 411
iGRF View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote iGRF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 19 at 8:16pm
I watched a bit of that and saw that little boat, by complete chance SWMBO had decided this years wedding anniversary weekend away in posh hotel should be on the IOW so we had sweeping views of the fleet all but parked up off shanklin in the late afternoon as the gradient East-North East airflow which had been battling the forcasted onshore South South Westerly all day gave up the ghost having won its battle, it was a right mess and many a jib was being furled and engine started. It's easy to sit in judgement from on high but there were some very strange tactical decisions being made indeed. So it doesn't surprise me that a small boat in skilled hands could weave it ways through a fleet in those conditions, I almost wish I'd had a go, I really must try a big boat race one day. It was a great spectacle, the first time I've experienced folk linng up to watch, we were in the Pearl thing as they came round the needles and watched the lead boats pull away whilst there was still a reasonable Breeze, but there was a definite hole down at the needles and I guess an adverse tide? The white sails lboats seemed to take forever whereas the bigger black sails just marched away, then by the time we'd finished touring abotu and returned to our hotel (Which I can highly recommend, the Haven hall) they'd all but parked up, it was painful to watch until eventually just before dusk, the west wind filled in as the heat of the day faded. Has anybody entered in a fast dinghy ever? I assume it's a lipstick bandit job, they're everywhere aren't they?

Edited by iGRF - 04 Jul 19 at 8:19pm
Wee Man View Drop Down
Far too distracted from work
Far too distracted from work

Post Options Post Options   Quote Wee Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 19 at 2:43pm
iGRF, I don't know about dinghies entering but in 2001 there was a Fast Cats Round The Island Race...think it only happened once but over 60 Cats entered.

https://www.yachtsandyachting.com/news/4136/Honda-Fast-Cat-Race-round-the-Isle-of-Wight
Nacra Infusion F18
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 19 at 3:11pm
did the wayfarers go around a year or so ago to celebrate an anniversary?

Apparently 18 footers used to do it years ago. 
Presuming Ed View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Presuming Ed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 19 at 6:47am
There’s a 2 page article about Eeyore in the latest Seahorse.  Bilge keels are back on the boat, but fully Jo Richards bilge keels. 
Sam.Spoons View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Sam.Spoons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 19 at 11:34am
So did he race the RoI with big keels or fin keel? And I assume the boat was re-rated for each change?
Spice 346 "Flat Broke"
Blaze 671 "supersonic soap dish"
Presuming Ed View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Presuming Ed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 19 at 11:50am
Bilge, after 2 years with a fin. And yes, rerated
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>