FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Which boat for a Big Dad and Little daughter

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
Author
Nacnud_smada View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote Nacnud_smada Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 19 at 9:44pm
Originally posted by GarethT

Is your 18 stone set in ..er... stone?

Having tried and failed for years to lose weight, I found a boat/event that excited and motivated me and managed to shift 3 stone in 4 months without too much trauma (and had an absolute ball at this weekend's nationals).

Couldn't lose weight just to prevent an earlier death, but to go sailing....!!!

No I'd rather loose 3-4 stone to be honest... But been trying for a number of years...failed a lot.. We shall see
Thanks all. For the suggestions.
GarethT View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Post Options Post Options   Quote GarethT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 19 at 7:04am
My weight loss was simplicity itself. I basically just ate less and did more!

The key was a free phone app called MyFitnessPal. You basically enter what you eat (you can just scan the barcode) and it tracks calories, carbs, fat, protein, etc. Really helps you focus the mind when wavering about eating a pie!

In terms of food, I reduced my carbs and had more protein. Basically, less pasta, rice, chips, and more meat. Fill up on veg.

For lunches I ditched bread. Bread has so many calories, but is basically just a container for the nice stuff, so for lunch I have a mixed salad (1 from the co-op) with either grilled chicken or 3 slices of sandwich ham. To stop it getting boring I add a dollop of sweet chilli sauce or chutney.

I used the step counter on my phone to make sure I did at least 10,000 steps a day, usually more. I park a bit away from work rather than in the car park so I get a walk at either end of the day. If you can fit in exercise before breakfast you'll get to fat burning quicker.

Now I've got the weight off I quite enjoy running, but whilst I was heavy injury was always a risk. The key was to run slowly with short strides. Anything is better than nothing, so no need to over do it!

What made this work for me was that it wasn't torture. It's just a few lifestyle modifications that are sustainable so I've kept on with it and the weight stays off.

I'll say no more about it, cos nobody likes a diet bore, but PM me if you want some support.
CT249 View Drop Down
Far too distracted from work

Post Options Post Options   Quote CT249 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 19 at 8:19am
Nice post, Gareth! Thumbs Up
Old Timer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Old Timer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 19 at 9:10am
Originally posted by GarethT

My weight loss was simplicity itself. I basically just ate less and did more!

That is genius ....

H2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote H2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 19 at 9:19am
Just to echo the advice from Gareth. I went from 17 down to 14 by cutting out eating between meals and restricting drinking to weekends and then increasing my exercise slowly. I did not follow any fad diet but just made changes that worked for me and was amazed how much I lost and that it has stayed off for years now. The key is finding changes that cause least pain to you and your lifestyle because if they are too radical you will not keep them up. Start by deciding not to eat biscuits in the office or whatever. It will take weeks and months to have an effect but it will work.

Also - I got a few friends to do a weekly weigh in but we had a laugh doing it and took the piss out of each other but it gave us something to focus on and remind us to stop before we ate that cookie!
H2 #115
Old Timer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Old Timer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 19 at 9:26am
I can't understand how people find the whole weight management issue challenging.

It is really very simple as GarethT points out ...

The world is eating itself to death whilst we destroy the planet ... the human race is waddling to the finish line ....

H2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote H2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 19 at 9:59am
Originally posted by Old Timer

I can't understand how people find the whole weight management issue challenging.

The world is eating itself to death whilst we destroy the planet ... the human race is waddling to the finish line ....

Vegan?
H2 #115
davidyacht View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote davidyacht Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 19 at 10:50am
Get rid of potatoes, bread and chocolate.

Get a dog.
Happily living in the past
CT249 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote CT249 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 19 at 11:49am
Get three dogs and you can keep the potatoes, bread and chocolate.
Old Timer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Old Timer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 19 at 11:56am
Originally posted by H2

Originally posted by Old Timer

Vegan?

No; I love steak and chips, chocolate, beer and all the other stuff  ... I just don't have more than I need; I am not greedy. It is not rocket science.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>