FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

New Sailing Club activities

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
NickM99 View Drop Down
Posting king
Posting king

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote NickM99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New Sailing Club activities
    Posted: 20 May 19 at 2:24pm
The RYA is encouraging clubs to boost membership by broadening the offer to include e.g. SUPs. Apparently over 50% of clubs now offer SUPs as an activity. Radio-controlled yachts is another.

How do forumites' clubs manage these activities? Do any clubs offer a special low fee/no duty obligation type of membership to SUP/Canoe/RC Yacht users? Or do most clubs insist on these people joining as full members with the same obligations as others?

davidyacht View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Post Options Post Options   Quote davidyacht Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 19 at 2:37pm
I would support our club going down a multi-watersport route, I think that this touches into the more modern culture of dipping into multiple sports rather than the lifetime interest that my generation has.  I could see plenty of opportunity for cross fertilization (poor choice of words perhaps) between the sports.  I am much more in favour of this than “social membership”.   

Traditional members may be resistant to potentially give away control of their club ... I am not sure how you address this without making non-sailors some kind of second class citizen.

A starting point might be to have say a Tuesday night SUP club, a Thursday morning Sea Kayaking club etc. and pitch it at existing club members, if these thrive then this might be a route for new people to join.  Ultimately the more that is on offer to members and the more our club is used the better.

The common thread is a shared passion for messing about on the water.
Happily living in the past
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 19 at 3:32pm
Most of the 'alternative activities' bring much more a gain in terms of bar spend, fees and duty resource than what they consume. 

It can be difficult doing a duty when the ARO doesn't know which direction the wind is coming from... but better to have someone than no-one helping right?

I don't think it's bad to have a sailing raison detre in the cub constitution just to ward off the Bosuns locker being turned in to a gym, Sunday sailing restricted for SUP racing... but I think many club are a long way off that (or could have some similar voting rights to social members?). 
jeffers View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote jeffers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 19 at 3:46pm
My local club has recently bought the freehold to the site we are on. This means we now offer paddlesports during casual lake use times. 

The proviso of allowing this was that is should not interfere with the organised racing as this was the clubs core activity.

We have also recently concluded a lease for the fishing rights to the lake and may allow other activities such as Open Water swimming training and possibly scuba training. 
Paul
----------------------
D-Zero GBR 74
H2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote H2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 19 at 3:57pm
I know a club that has focused on some activities that would appeal to non-sailing family members that run around peak racing time (ie Sunday morning) so that it is easier for people with families to come to the club together and everyone gets to do something. The club figures this will make it easier for people to justify continuing to race regularly and it reckons people will stick around for lunch which will offset the costs of offering pilates and other classes. I am watching with interest!
H2 #115 (sold)
H2 145
OK 2082
iGRF View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote iGRF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 19 at 4:55pm
It's all great, right up until the SUP interest group get a controlling interest of the management committee, then it's not so great as priorities shift away from dinghy racing. A bit late for regrets since it was largely my fault to start with to increase revenue, footfall, all those sound commercial things, but I very much regret the decision now.
423zero View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote 423zero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 19 at 5:26pm
This question as been asked before, my answer is still,only people who actively sail can vote.
drifter View Drop Down
Posting king
Posting king

Post Options Post Options   Quote drifter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 19 at 6:07pm
West Oxfordshire Sailing Club has open water swimmers. A great success, they're a great bunch of people (to me as a member anyway) but we hardly ever see them as they like early starts. We do have a spare lake though! Membership full, with a waiting list  to get on the waiting list
Stewart
getafix View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote getafix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 19 at 8:36pm
Originally posted by H2

I know a club that has focused on some activities that would appeal to non-sailing family members that run around peak racing time (ie Sunday morning) so that it is easier for people with families to come to the club together and everyone gets to do something. The club figures this will make it easier for people to justify continuing to race regularly and it reckons people will stick around for lunch which will offset the costs of offering pilates and other classes. I am watching with interest!

This is so obvious it’s a mystery why ‘other activities’ always seem to take place at different times to the sailing.  It widens the people organising activities in the first place, which is a key issue and enables more participants both on and off the water in theory - interested to know how this goes
Sam.Spoons View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Sam.Spoons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 19 at 10:24pm
Could it be because open water swimmers and skiffs don't mix, especially in F6  Wink
Spice 346 "Flat Broke"
Blaze 671 "supersonic soap dish"
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>