FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Start of race

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
H2 View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote H2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Start of race
    Posted: 23 May 19 at 8:08am
@Mozzy - my initial thought when I looked at the video was that whilst you are in the right I was just looking at how much you lost to the rest of the fleet who was sailing away from both of you. Its easy from my office seat to say so but I wonder if a smaller luff without contact would have been better as it would have been enough to make black slow and freak out (he knew he was in the wrong!) and you would have lost out less to the rest of the fleet. If you were racing black for series position so you just wanted to be ahead of them overall in the race then I would have done the same but if I cared about my overall position in the fleet I might have been less aggressive on balance. I realise that is more a strategic POV rather than a rules one but wondered what you thought as well with hindsight?
H2 #115 (sold)
H2 145
OK 2082
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 19 at 12:21pm
For some context, the tide was going left to right. This is probably why black was waiting for a gap to show but because of the tide it never did. Then the wind was also in right shift which exacerbated the situation. 

I reckon we lost a length on the late trigger (@0-1sec), regardless of the boat to windward. I reckon we lost another boat length just from them being there on our wind (between 2-5 sec). 

Then I reckon we lost a third boat length by holding high (@5-6sec), but this was a conscious decision as we were in the right shift and I didn't want sail low closing my lane then have to tack out immediately on to header. Instead I lost a little distance forwards but held height and the lane by squeezing aggressively high. 

If the wind was average or left, then I think you'd be correct, better to get bow forward and over the line then tack out on the lifted tack before you feel the effects of the dirty lane. 

There's quite a lot cut from the beat but 1634 basically rolls the two boats to leeward (337 & 1391).  1391 tacks out first when they get rolled by 337 and duck us. 1634 rolls 337 next, but 337 hold on to the lift in his dirty. All this time we've drawn about level with 337. For some reason 1634 then tacked out before the header came, maybe to loosely cover 1391? 

1634 comes back from the right with 1391 and they've lost out to us & 337. 1391 passes clear behind us and continues over left with 337 who tacks back left. 1634 tacks on our leebow. So, I think pinching up high was the right call to preserve our lane, even at the expense of a boat length in that moment... 1634 then tacks and ducks us as we boldy march on well past the starboard layline with the tide still going strongly left to right!  337 leads and 1634 is second. 

Breeze fills in on the left downwind and 1391 is first to gybe in to it. We should have gybed on top of 1634 when they went. Anyway, by the leeward mark 1391 were leading, 1634 second, us third and 337 4th. 

Positions close up on the next beat and we squeeze past 1634 with a well judged lay in to the windward mark.  Positions remain the same, except 1634's rudder falls off gybing in to the leeward mark and they retire. 

So, in summary, I regret not triggering soon enough, I regret going over the layline and I regret not being the first to gybe on the first run. But, I think coming up high to preserve the lane over getting bow forward was the right call as those who went out right early lost out.   

Twas good racing... and the HISC regatta is back on this weekend, forecast looks super again! 

Edited by mozzy - 23 May 19 at 2:20pm
H2 View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote H2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 19 at 3:38pm
Very interesting and useful - thanks!
H2 #115 (sold)
H2 145
OK 2082
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123